1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

iPad 2.0

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Piobaire, Feb 14, 2011.

1. nootje

nootje Senior member

The fact that it needs to tether off a Blackberry for cell internet access has already killed it for me.

there are allready rumors that there will be versions that dont need a bb.

2. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Whereas $50/month for 3G iPad is perfectly acceptable?

I don't have the 3G. I don't really miss or need it. There is enough free wifi for me. Buying an iPad and then paying a monthly bill just doesn't make sense to me since I already have a Blackberry. Why make it 2X on cost and most functions?

3. epb

epb Senior member

The most expensive plan is half that - $25/month. One of the key reasons I went with the iPad was the cheap data plans, as I was paying Sprint $70/month for unlimited with my laptop.

As for the Ipad2 - I like the iPad, but I'm finding that I loathe some of Apple's practices, I hate iTunes, and their fan-base is somewhat disconcerting in their cult-like enthusiasm. My plan is to stick with the current model until a competitor comes out with something with similar battery life and a comparable data plans.

4. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

yes. whatever our lord and master Steve Jobs commands.

5. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

I've managed to hold off getting iPad 1....WILL be getting v2.0

6. haganah

haganah Senior member

I'm getting #2 for sure. But why do you guys want higher resolutions? I understand glare and viewing angles but is resolution an issue on this thing? I'd like a chip that allows for access to CDMA/GMS/LTE regardless of network - i think that's what the qualcomm snapdragon does but I may be off on that.

7. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

I want a USB port and a simple/easy word processor.

8. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I'm getting #2 for sure. But why do you guys want higher resolutions? I understand glare and viewing angles but is resolution an issue on this thing? I'd like a chip that allows for access to CDMA/GMS/LTE regardless of network - i think that's what the qualcomm snapdragon does but I may be off on that.
    Higher res = sharper text and more vibrant pics and vids. I don't think that rev2 will be CDMA but rev3 definitely will BTW - The iPad won't have a Snapdragon processor because Apple uses their own in house chips.

9. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

will probably buy an ipad 1 for pennies on the dollar from a mac fanboy.

but yeah, I'll probably get the ipad 2.....probably on AT&T since it can go global SIM cards.

10. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Again though, I am amazed at the educational apps they have for kids, really destroys the market for the LeapFrog and other handhelds, probably relegating them to the world of; you guess it, designing Apps for the iPad.. [​IMG]

My daughter is almost 2 and she adores her iPad. The learning apps are incredible. We control tightly what she uses on it (as if she knew what else existed [​IMG]) But its really impressive what you can do with that thing. And its amazing for her on the plane. Slap on some Fresh Beat Band and shes good for 2 hours. [​IMG]

11. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Suppose I'm waiting for the revision before I invest in one. I like my macbook, but I see a lot more application of this in the classroom and in the field (PE and History). Probably keep the PC at home and just use this at school- keep a bluetooth keyboard or one of the keyboard docks in my office. $500 is a lot of dough-rae-me though.

12. eg1

eg1 Senior member

The fact that it needs to tether off a Blackberry for cell internet access has already killed it for me.

I am already carrying a BB, so why would that be a problem? [​IMG]

13. BP348

BP348 Senior member

That would be great! Just so I can pick up another iPad 1. Between my wife, kids, and i My iPad is pretty much in use as long as someone is home. I have no use for an iPad with a camera or 3G.

I agree with the others as a web browsing devise or for presentations the iPad is hard to beat but I wouldn't want to try and type a decent sized anything without a real keyboard.

14. nootje

nootje Senior member

anyone experience with the ipad + bluetooth keyboard as a laptop replacement?

I just do heavy emailing, word and excel stuff so I'm figuring that this might work.

15. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

I've used a BT keyboard on one, it seemed to work fine.

16. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    anyone experience with the ipad + bluetooth keyboard as a laptop replacement?

I just do heavy emailing, word and excel stuff so I'm figuring that this might work.

Might want to look into this contraption:
    Clamcase

17. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Might want to look into this contraption:
    Clamcase

But why not just buy an iBook?

18. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    But why not just buy an iBook?

I'm merely passing on information, not making judgments or recommendations.
    [​IMG]

19. B1FF

B1FF Senior member

Not when it is so easy to get plans for a fraction of that price, no.