iOS 5

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by embowafa, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

They've been getting fuck for a while now, ever since iOS moved to Outlook-synch capabilities and Android came out.
    True, but with the new iMessenger, there really is no compelling reason to stay with RIM.

2. Unbreakable

Unbreakable Senior member

Looks like a lot of the new features are ideas from jail broken apps. Which is awesome, less reason to jailbreak.

3. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

iOS 5 is looking mighty fine. the twitter integration (if you are big into twitter) is really cool too.

Oh great, so one can now tell the world everything one is doing with one's iPhone.

4. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Oh great, so one can now tell the world everything one is doing with one's iPhone.

Anthony Wiener approves!

5. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

^^ this was expected though. iTunes Match. HOPE TO JESUS THIS WORKS. going to work with EVERY song, legally or illegally obtained.
    Hopefully it will be available outside of the US as well. Main reason why these cloud music services have been a complete fail so far. Sent from Tapatalk.

6. js4design

js4design Senior member

Verizon needs some love.

7. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
  8. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

Seriously excited about all this. A bit sad I'll have to wait until fall. It was amazing to me just how much was blatantly ripped off from other makers. iMessenger = BBM, Safari Reader = Instapaper, Notification Centre = Android notifications, Homescreen camera = Windows phone camera. Reminders and Newsstand reproduce the functionality of apps that already exist. Wireless sync is obviously huge. The "you no longer need a computer" aspect is great if you're offering one to your doddering grandma but pointless in real life where we all have huge media libraries to manage. I think the biggest thing they've done is Airplay sync. Streaming directly to a TV in real time is going to be huge in corporate settings (business presentations) and gaming. You buy an apple TV for $100 and you can stream all your games to the TV while using the phone/tablet as a controller. iCloud is pretty great, though I don't have more than one apple device so I'm not sure I'll be able to take substantial advantage of it. Here's the official list of updates from Apple, and here's Engadget's version.

9. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Interesting view on iCloud/iTunes Match: How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music iTunes Match will apparently recognize your pirated mp3s and replace them with 256Kbps AAC audio files.
    Including all my low bitrate ones I downloaded from Napster ten years ago.... nice.

10. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

For me, the Reminders feature is the most practicable one, and it really, properly replaces the poorly designed iCal scheduling system.

11. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Apparently Apple neglected to tell either AT&T or Verizon about iMessenger. Since it uses SMS its functionally like free text messaging to any other person who has an iPhone.

12. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Apparently Apple neglected to tell either AT&T or Verizon about iMessenger. Since it uses SMS its functionally like free text messaging to any other person who has an iPhone.
    But it still uses data rates, so... Also, I wouldn't be surprised if AT&T / Verizon decided to limit this feature like they do with tethering [​IMG] american cell phone carriers, [​IMG].

13. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

Until every teenager on earth owns an iPhone, text plans aren't going anywhere.

14. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

But it still uses data rates, so... Also, I wouldn't be surprised if AT&T / Verizon decided to limit this feature like they do with tethering [​IMG] american cell phone carriers, [​IMG].
    True but I doubt that would happen since this is Apple's attempt to kill off RIM.
    Until every teenager on earth owns an iPhone, text plans aren't going anywhere.
    True, but if everyone in your circle of friends owns an iPhone, you could severely cut back on your text message plan.

15. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

They've been getting fucked for a while now, ever since iOS moved to Outlook-synch capabilities and Android came out.

RIM is fucked.

True, but with the new iMessenger, there really is no compelling reason to stay with RIM.

Exactly. They're proper fucked now.