1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

iOS 5

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by embowafa, Jun 6, 2011.

1. js4design

js4design Senior member

Verizon needs some love.

2. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
  3. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

Seriously excited about all this. A bit sad I'll have to wait until fall. It was amazing to me just how much was blatantly ripped off from other makers. iMessenger = BBM, Safari Reader = Instapaper, Notification Centre = Android notifications, Homescreen camera = Windows phone camera. Reminders and Newsstand reproduce the functionality of apps that already exist. Wireless sync is obviously huge. The "you no longer need a computer" aspect is great if you're offering one to your doddering grandma but pointless in real life where we all have huge media libraries to manage. I think the biggest thing they've done is Airplay sync. Streaming directly to a TV in real time is going to be huge in corporate settings (business presentations) and gaming. You buy an apple TV for $100 and you can stream all your games to the TV while using the phone/tablet as a controller. iCloud is pretty great, though I don't have more than one apple device so I'm not sure I'll be able to take substantial advantage of it. Here's the official list of updates from Apple, and here's Engadget's version.

4. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Interesting view on iCloud/iTunes Match: How Steve Jobs Just Monetized Pirated Music iTunes Match will apparently recognize your pirated mp3s and replace them with 256Kbps AAC audio files.
    Including all my low bitrate ones I downloaded from Napster ten years ago.... nice.

5. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

For me, the Reminders feature is the most practicable one, and it really, properly replaces the poorly designed iCal scheduling system.

6. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Apparently Apple neglected to tell either AT&T or Verizon about iMessenger. Since it uses SMS its functionally like free text messaging to any other person who has an iPhone.

7. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Apparently Apple neglected to tell either AT&T or Verizon about iMessenger. Since it uses SMS its functionally like free text messaging to any other person who has an iPhone.
    But it still uses data rates, so... Also, I wouldn't be surprised if AT&T / Verizon decided to limit this feature like they do with tethering [​IMG] american cell phone carriers, [​IMG].

8. holymadness

Until every teenager on earth owns an iPhone, text plans aren't going anywhere.

9. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

But it still uses data rates, so... Also, I wouldn't be surprised if AT&T / Verizon decided to limit this feature like they do with tethering [​IMG] american cell phone carriers, [​IMG].
    True but I doubt that would happen since this is Apple's attempt to kill off RIM.
    Until every teenager on earth owns an iPhone, text plans aren't going anywhere.
    True, but if everyone in your circle of friends owns an iPhone, you could severely cut back on your text message plan.

10. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

They've been getting fucked for a while now, ever since iOS moved to Outlook-synch capabilities and Android came out.

RIM is fucked.

True, but with the new iMessenger, there really is no compelling reason to stay with RIM.

Exactly. They're proper fucked now.

11. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    True, but if everyone in your circle of friends owns an iPhone, you could severely cut back on your text message plan.

I have unlimited texts for $5/month.
    What am I going to cut to? $3.00?

12. holymadness

Exactly. They're proper fucked now.
    Unfortunately, RIM will continue to survive for as long as corporations insist on using BBs instead of other smartphones. And we all know how shitty and slow IT departments are at upgrading anything.

I should feel somewhat bad because RIM is one of the few great Canadian companies left but for the past five years at least they've demonstrated nothing but gross incompetence and complacency, so screw 'em.

13. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

In other countries, and I mean 3rd world countries texting is free. And by free I mean even if you have a prepaid phone, and you have used up all your minutes, so the company isn't charging you anything, you can still send all the SMS you want.

Unfortunately, RIM will continue to survive for as long as corporations insist on using BBs instead of other smartphones. And we all know how shitty and slow IT departments are at upgrading anything.

QFT.

14. holymadness

15. gort

gort Senior member

I have unlimited texts for $5/month.
    What am I going to cut to? $3.00?

AT&T unlimited text is $20/month.

16. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Hands-on of the new features: http://www.engadget.com/wwdc-2011/ap...ds-on-preview/
    Cool, thanks. Edit: I no like the split keyboard on the iPad, I no like at all. I'm wondering: if you download Lion on your computer, since it's the only way you can get it, and your computer goes to shit, how can you rest the computer without a physical disk? [​IMG] Even the Apple stores use physical disks when things are so damaged with the HD that the computer won't recognizing data from an external USB drive.

17. holymadness

You have to go to the genius bar, just like you have to mail them your hardware to replace the battery or hard drive. You can't be trusted to do anything yourself.

BTW I can't believe they didn't update iBooks. That is literally the shittiest app on the planet for organizing and browsing your reading library. No way in hell I am going to be tempted to abandon my computer for the cloud if that's what's on offer.

18. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

You have to go to the genius bar, just like you have to mail them your hardware to replace the battery or hard drive. You can't be trusted to do anything yourself.

Obviously.

Apple: "it just works"... until it doesn't.

19. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

Jobs looked sickly during the keynote. I hope all is well. It's been amazing how far Apple has taken portable computing in 4 years. Android was basically a BB OS clone in January 2007.

20. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I have unlimited texts for $5/month. What am I going to cut to? $3.00?
    What the hell carrier has unlimited texts for $5 a month?
    AT&T unlimited text is $20/month.
    This is more like it. You could downgrade from the $20 to the $10 plan if you knew enough iPhone people.
    You have to go to the genius bar, just like you have to mail them your hardware to replace the battery or hard drive. You can't be trusted to do anything yourself. BTW I can't believe they didn't update iBooks. That is literally the shittiest app on the planet for organizing and browsing your reading library. No way in hell I am going to be tempted to abandon my computer for the cloud if that's what's on offer.
    I suspect that will be coming in September with the iPhone refresh.
    Jobs looked sickly during the keynote. I hope all is well. It's been amazing how far Apple has taken portable computing in 4 years. Android was basically a BB OS clone in January 2007.
    When hasn't Jobs looked sickly?