• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Invited to some "Billionaire's Ball"on the upper west side. What should I wear?

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if I should be insulted, but the host (a friend and erstwhile business associate) wanted to be sure I would make a good impression at his coming out "Billionaire's Ball" so he forwarded me some cash for a new party outfit (the amount is unimportant, though I'm sure someone will inquire, so I'll nip it in the bud here: $100,000). The host suggested that bespoke vicuna tuxes would be the order of the day, but left me on my own as to where to procure such rarified habilement. Any thoughts?
Also, I was trying to decide which vehicle I should take to the party: the Murcielago's in the shop, and I'm afraid if I show up in the Veyron, it may upstage the host since neither he, nor any others on the guest list has one (to the best of my knowledge). The Zonda's also a bit too edgy I'm afraid. In the end it may be best to bring the Maybach; tasteful, yet understated. Suggestions?

AJL
aka BeauMonde

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems as though you have already settled on a car. Why ask us what we think? Did you feel it neccesary to list the cars you alledgedly have?

likethatlook

Reaction score
Those in the know make sure they have the RL purple label underwear. There was a nice thread about it a few years ago.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, those cars are so passe -- nothing less than a Bugatti Royal would do (well, a 1961 Ferrari 250 GT SWB California Spyder is OK if you are after the sporting look). Of course your Murcielago's in the shop -- what do you expect from a low-budget bean can?

With only $100k to spend on your wardrobe, you're going to have to scrimp. Try your local second hand shop for low-budget hand-me-downs.

Twotone

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In the interest of full disclosure: it's my party and I'm hosting it in my foyer.

&Son

Reaction score
You're traveling about Manhattan by car? You sir are braver than I. If my billionaire friend's building didn't have a helipad I would politely decline, or suggest that he have one installed forthwith.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's assume for a moment that his post is sincere. When it comes to a suit, tuxedo, or damn near anything you put on your body, the quality and fit will only go so far. 75% of the package is how you carry and present yourself, and how good looking you are. There are actually some things you can't buy. I'd spend 6k on the outfit and pocket the rest and arrive on a horse and buggy. Make sure you tell the "valet" to have their finest stable boy tend to the horses. If you really want to stand out, drive-up in the biggest ************* you can find, I would suggest a 1974 Lincoln Continental. I'm not even joking, if you drove up in this car with the trees and everything, it would be priceless.
1384238310_4a0b544012.jpg

Featured Sponsor

What is the most important handwork to have on a shirt?

• Hand attached collar

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Handsewn button holes

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • Hand finish on yolk and shoulders

Votes: 20 37.7%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alepstine