• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Investment Banking - Middle Market Firms?

abc123

Reaction score
I know that banking is a frequently discussed topic around here, but I did a search and didn't find anything that covered my topic, so hopefully I'm not asking a question thats been repeated 100 times...

I'm a currently junior in college, and I'm interested in pursung the banking route, both for a summer internship, and possibly after graduation. While I've read all about bulge bracket firms, I havn't seen much info about middle market/boutique banks. What are the pros and cons? I assume less pay, less "glamour", and probably more reasonable hours, less office politics, but what are some specifics? Whats the good, the bad, and the ugly with this size of banks? I'd really appreciate hearing about anyones experiences, stories, or words of advice.

I'm also looking to stay in the DC/Baltimore metro area, if anyone has personal experience with specific banks, I'd be very interested to hear your point of view, whether on this thread or via a pm.

Thanks in advance for any help gents!

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
GO to the Vault.com and search the investment banking forums. There's Bank of America in Baltimore. I don't feel like doing research for you so I can't mention other firms off the top of my head. BUt there are a few in this area. get crackin'

abc123

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I have found and applied to a number of places over the past several weeks. What I am looking for is not a list of area banks, but rather insight to the ways in which smaller firms differ from larger ones (of course, specific examples would be great, but I understand that people probably don't want to speak in too great detail), and what any members who have experience in such places would consider to be the pros and cons.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Smaller firms have less workload (read less deals) and less pay, however you'll probably gain by having more responsibility (less analysts and associates being hired at a time)

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you want to stay in DC I'd suggest checking out Hovde, a boutique Investment Bank that specializes in bank M&A and offerings.

I work for a middle market firm in Atlanta and generally speaking the hours are not as rough and the pay is less but I've found the people to be more personable and the quality of life better.

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Legg Mason and M&T are in Baltimore also.

There are also various private finance and specialty finance shops in the DC area. Allied Capital, American Capital Strategies, Gladstone Capital, MCG Capital, to name a few, that do everything from senior debt to equity investments.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
If you want to stay in DC I'd suggest checking out Hovde, a boutique Investment Bank that specializes in bank M&A and offerings.

I work for a middle market firm in Atlanta and generally speaking the hours are not as rough and the pay is less but I've found the people to be more personable and the quality of life better.

Yes, but doesn't one's quality of life also improve with one's paycheck?

Jon.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Yes, but doesn't one's quality of life also improve with one's paycheck?

Jon.

Speaking as an attorney who has worked at a large law firm and now works at a much smaller firm for less money, all I can say to this is

crackup[1].gif

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you work until 4 am every night it doesn't really matter how much money you make.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
If you work until 4 am every night it doesn't really matter how much money you make.
+1

raley

Reaction score
What I've heard through the interview process so far isn't that it is the hours, but rather the unpredictability (they may be lying). In that, you may be getting ready to go out for a night on the town and you get an email on your blackberry saying you have to come into the office.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upstarter
Can someone give us the amount of hours they work(ed) while in a middle IB? I'm curious what "more reasonable" means.

Thanks,

Upstarter

70 -80 hrs

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics