Investment Banking Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by jslade, Mar 9, 2012.

1. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I went through TTS training with my incoming class a few years ago. As real world as it gets.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012

2. chogall

chogall Senior member

CFA does not help much at career transition. And its not for banking but asset management.

What kind of engineer by the way? It does not make any sense to go into ibanking if you are in software or energy related engineering.

3. chogall

chogall Senior member

Not sure about banking, but its certainly true for entry level asset management or equity research functions.

4. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Went to school for Civil, but currently in a Mechanical Engineering position.

5. gdl203

This is incorrect. For a career switcher or a non-core school graduate to get wedged into n otherwise very structured recruiting process like banking, anything you can do to demonstrate motivation and interest in the job is additive, including taking courses, teaching yourself concepts and skills, doing informational interviews, etc... People will generally not even pay attention if they are not fully convinced that your application is not just a random shot in the dark with no understanding of what a junior banker do, or any real motivation for the job.

6. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

it's additive by approximately 0.0002%. Do it, you'll learn a few things, it won't be the deciding factor between make or break, but you don't have much to lose.

7. chogall

chogall Senior member

Ever considered doing quant work? Just some ideas.

8. gdl203

No really it isn't. When doing off-campus recruiting (and I've done a lot over the years), one of the top question is whether this guy actually knows what he's applying for. I'm not saying he needs to pay $xxxx to get that under his belt but all these things that prove his interest for the job are very important for non-targets.

9. aspasp

aspasp Senior member

you're going to need a lot more than showing your interest to break into ib if you're from a non target

10. pseudonym

pseudonym Senior member

I know this first-hand.

11. aspasp

aspasp Senior member

what's your story?

12. Khayembii Communique

Ick, not really interested, though I should probably be looking into it to take what I can get.

Go on...

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012

13. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

When I switched from law to banking, it was pretty helpful to have demonstrated interest through taking modeling courses. And when we interviewed analysts after I made the switch, I found that the other bankers also noted it as a distinct plus.

What percent of college students have you found can't coherently explain the difference between banking and consulting? Seemed like half the candidates I ever interviewed couldn't say. They'd usually fall back on some BS explanation about "really adding value."

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012

14. Khayembii Communique

So mafoofan, since there are quite a few different courses out there (BIWS, IBI, Wall Street Training, etc.) and since you have interviewed analysts and presumably been on hiring committees for this position, which do you think is the most beneficial, both in terms of brand as well as specific courses offered?

Also, networking question: If I know a company's email format, would it be unethical/weird to start cold emailing people at the company? For example, say I know the format is [email protected]. Is it wrong or weird to utilize this to cold email? I have so few contacts and I think this could really help widen my contact base but I'm worried people would be like "WTF did you get my email from you stalker?"

15. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

Inmessage from a Linkedin premium acct would be a better way to go.