• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Investment Banker/Private Equity work and casual attire

oilgasBF

Reaction score
I have been going through this website for a few weeks now and getting somewhat of a start up closet for my profession I'm beginning in a few weeks time.

I have read al ot of post about the IB work attire but those posts are back in 2010 time frame.

Would anyone take the time on helping me build my closet and what to wear for this profession and life style?

The job will be in Dallas TX and not NYC.

I have about $5,000 budgeted for both the business side and for the night life scene as well.

Any pointers or run downs on brands, colors, types, ect would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Night life scene? You're going to be working 100 hours a week, your nightlife scene is going to be Excel in your cube.

As for what you wear to work, I will point you here:

http://www.styleforum.net/a/how-should-i-start-my-business-wardrobe

Only you can answer how formal the office is, i.e. whether you will wear suits every day.

Also, just because those threads are from 2010 doesn't make them any less relevant.

Last edited:

oilgasBF

Reaction score
Thank you.

Although I will be working alot. My office, apartment, and the main bars in uptown are all in a 2 mile radius. So I will be able to hit some night like along the way

Willin

Reaction score

Thank you.

Although I will be working alot. My office, apartment, and the main bars in uptown are all in a 2 mile radius. So I will be able to hit some night like along the way

Protip - keep a spare clean white/blue shirt and tie in your desk in case you strike it rich at night and don't make it home before work beckons the next day.

Come to think of it you should make it a blue shirt because in the event that you have a long night and show up hungover the next day the white shirt is only going to enhance your paleness.

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Wear something that doesn't show dip and coffee stains.

Also, as a general piece of life advice, never use acronyms like "IB," "PE," or "M&A" in real life.

asdf

Reaction score

Also, as a general piece of life advice, never use acronyms like "IB," "PE," or "M&A" in real life.

Or "i-banking." Shudder.

As for attire, cities are drastically different these days. Offices in NYC, Toronto, and London remain generally the most formal (although New York is starting to slip.) Houston and San Francisco, in my experience, are VERY casual... No experience in Dallas. It, of course, varies by firm and by group as well.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Night life scene? You're going to be working 100 hours a week, your nightlife scene is going to be Excel in your cube.

81175064.jpg

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

so true

Last edited:

Flake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you.

Unless you are speaking to an Alot, I would add a space after the a. (google: alot hyperbole and a half for reference)

Seriously, in Houston today. Firms here are very relaxed for dress. Don't know about Dallas.

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why? IB I can sorta get, but PE and M&A (especially) are very common acronyms, that even regular business magazines often use.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Or "i-banking." Shudder.

As for attire, cities are drastically different these days. Offices in NYC, Toronto, and London remain generally the most formal (although New York is starting to slip.) Houston and San Francisco, in my experience, are VERY casual... No experience in Dallas. It, of course, varies by firm and by group as well.

Button down with slacks and north face fleece vest/jacket is already pretty formal for SF, especially compared to the urban woodsmen/startup douchebags from SOMA or Mission.

Regardless, you need two suits for road shows and client meetings.

p.s., you should worry about your job security if you have a night life as a first year analyst.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

Why? IB I can sorta get, but PE and M&A (especially) are very common acronyms, that even regular business magazines often use.

I've never met anyone that abbreviates their job/position that has been a person I'd like to spend any extended period of time with. To my thinking, the same guy that brags about being in "PE" will also abbreviate the name of his boutique firm that no one has ever heard of. Experience is my only real guide for that statement.

Not being in finance myself, I suppose it's a bit more annoying to me. However, all my most successful finance and banking friends say they are either in finance or banking. If someone wants to know more then they'll tell them. But coming out of the gate with abbreviations is a bit douchey (at least IMO).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics