1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Investing in a new watch

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Jon68-2, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

^ +1

Unless you really appreciate watches, you should "invest" in clothes first. Buying a watch as a status symbol won't help anyone overlook your crappy suit. Also, if you don't appreciate the value or internals of a watch, why not buy something with a simple ETA movement or even quartz for much less?

If you are insistant on the 2k watch to start, I would stay away from the previously suggested diver type watches since they are a little less versatile even if they have become more accepted in business.

2. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I'm not in an MBA program, but I see more than a few nice watches when I walk around my business school. I also see a greater concentration of fakes than anywhere I've ever been.

3. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Bad shoes seem to be the norm though, even among well dressed MBA students.

4. bleachboy

bleachboy Senior member

I love watches, and I fully back the idea of going with a used Zenith. However, if you only have two suits and they are Calvin Klein and Tommy Hilfiger, buy a couple of new suits of better fit and quality instead, then watch the Timezone B&S forum for a used watch under $500 (you'll definitely be able to get a used Sinn in that price range).

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  5. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

Joenobody,
    Here's a novel idea: Focus on your research and studies. Not some damn watches.
    This is what actual successful people in the real world do.
    You're going to be a failure. I can tell from a mile away. Dummy.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  6. The Suit Guy

The Suit Guy Member

I should have been on the lookout for fakes! (I probably wouldn't have noticed the difference of a good fake to be honest)

7. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

8. academe

academe Senior member

This thread delivers. Another spiralling descent into mediocrity, complete with catfights, petty insults & reev threadsh**ting. :slayer:

9. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Senior member

FWIW, this is really good advice.

10. Jon68-2

Jon68-2 New Member

Great advice all around, guys. I'm looking into a vintage datejust and possibly an Omega Seamaster. I'm a bit concerned about the repair bills though. Do Omega's require frequent (and expensive) repairs? I know a few people with Rolexs who ocassionaly cough up $1,000 or so for repairs. Is the Omega any less costly to maintain?

Also, is there a reputable online resaler for vintage watches?

Thanks again!

Jon

11. Jon68-2

Jon68-2 New Member

By the way, I'm a part-time MBA and a full-time Software Engineer, to clear up why I'm looking for an officer-class watch. The MBA is just part of a shift I'm making from mid-level managment to CIO.

Also, I'm not surprised about all the fake watches, there's a lot of fake business people in MBA programs, too. They've got no background in anything but consider such a program to be a path so success in something... anything.

I'm definitely looking to upgrade the suits as well. However, I'm a bit more knowledgeable and confident in my tastes in that regard.

12. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

speedmaster or an older rolex datejust. buy used and save some coin.

13. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

having owned a speedmaster in the past and a rolex at present, both are pretty sturdy and absolutely do not need frequent repairs. btw, if you're looking for a vintage datejust, maybe you should also considering a vintage explorer.

14. cretaceous_cretin

cretaceous_cretin Senior member

If you really want an expensive watch, I would definitely consider a good used Rolex. If you had to sell it for some reason, you'd get a better percentage of your money back out of it than a new one. Have a look at the Rolex Forums:

http://rolexforums.com/

B/S fourm. They also have a feedback forum for checking out sellers. I have bought two Rolex watches in the past year, a Stainless Datejust ca. 1982, and a 2000 yr model Submariner, and had them authenticated by a local reseller of used Rolexes. The Datejust was about $2500, and the Submariner was about $3600. Both had recent services done to them, and they work great. Be aware that any mechanical watch will not be as accurate as an electronic watch, but they are built well. Be patient and choose one you like at a price you are willing to buy. I am quite happy with my choices.

15. cbird

cbird Senior member

Check out coolvintagewatches.com and Father Time antiques to see other options in vintage watches-you may be surprised at what is available in your price range, even some fine solid gold watches with manufacture movements, such as Lecoultre, Longines, Gruen, Universal Geneve, and Movado (back in their quality days).