• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Inversion Tables

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2009
Messages
1,406
Reaction score
9
Does anyone have one or use one regularly? I've had some herniated discs for a couple years now so I got one off Craigslist, but I've only had it a couple days. I hear good things about them, but just wanted to see if anyone had some facts/ opinions on them.
 

pronov

Active Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2010
Messages
36
Reaction score
1
I saw on Dr. Oz that he says they work by relieving pressure on the disks. good luck.
 

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
5,713
Reaction score
445
My sister has one. I've used it. It seems like quackery.
 

Logan

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2011
Messages
592
Reaction score
2
A friend of mine has one, nothing like what I was expecting. I was told I was gonna hear my back cracking and whatnot, nope, just upside down. No relief.
 

Unbreakable

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2008
Messages
497
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by Reggs
My sister has one. I've used it. It seems like quackery.

Go on.
 

SnarlPatrick

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2010
Messages
200
Reaction score
0
I'm interested as well. I have a herniated and degenerating lumbar disc which did not respond to cortisone injections, and require fairly consistent opiates for pain.

I've seen these tables in a few stores before (thrift and retail), but for liability reasons, they never let me try them out in store.
 

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2009
Messages
1,406
Reaction score
9
I doubt it's "un-herniating" anything, but it seems to help relieve a little tension and soreness.
 

bmac11c

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2011
Messages
142
Reaction score
0
Have you thought of seeing a chiropractor? I know there are many out there who are weary of them but I've used them in the past and they've worked for me. The hard part is finding a good one!

Bmac
 

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2009
Messages
1,406
Reaction score
9
Originally Posted by bmac11c
Have you thought of seeing a chiropractor? I know there are many out there who are weary of them but I've used them in the past and they've worked for me. The hard part is finding a good one!

Bmac


Eh, I've been a few times, but how much of a difference could there be between traction and inversion?
 

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
5,713
Reaction score
445
I'm very wary of chiropractors, but I'd place more trust in them than a hinged table.
 

bmac11c

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2011
Messages
142
Reaction score
0
Good question. From what I've read:

"Spinal Decompression Treatment is non-invasive and provides gentle decompression of the disc through the use of a decompression table. You are strapped to the table so that as it moves it applies a distraction force to the targeted area of the spine (the compressed disc). A computer controls the distraction force which is applied in between periods of relaxation. This gently pulls the spine apart elongating it and creating a small vacuum between the vertebrae which pulls the disc back into shape."

Seems to be much different than relying on your weight and gravity. I've never had it done to me, but it might be worth a shot. Most insurance will cover it, but you'll probably have a co-pay.

Bmac



Originally Posted by Rosenberg
Eh, I've been a few times, but how much of a difference could there be between traction and inversion?
 

SnarlPatrick

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2010
Messages
200
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by bmac11c
Have you thought of seeing a chiropractor? I know there are many out there who are weary of them but I've used them in the past and they've worked for me. The hard part is finding a good one!

Bmac


A chiropractor may well give an awesome massage. Might help me temporarily. But the reason I'm against them is that.... at least traditionally, they're based on the non-scientific premise that all health is determined by the flow of vital force through the spine, to organs. They claim that all disease is caused by "kinks" or "subluxations" in the spine. My aunt, who is into all kinds of bs alternative medicine, for example, claims to know someone who knows someone who was cured of blindness by a chiropractic adjustment.

When I said "wow. thats incredible. I had no idea that the optic nerve traveled from the back of the eye, all the way down to your lower back, before doubling back on itself and connecting to the brain. That seams wildly inefficient, but it must be true ", I got called "closed-minded"

So basically, traditional chiropractors are nut-jobs. And "good" chiropractors are massage therapists, sharing the title of nutjob. And most lie somewhere in between. (I'm kind of a dork for scientific skepticism. I have the same handle on the Skeptics Guide to the Universe forums btw)

Maybe I'll look for a massage therapist.
 

bmac11c

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2011
Messages
142
Reaction score
0
Totally understandable.

Originally Posted by SnarlPatrick
A chiropractor may well give an awesome massage. Might help me temporarily. But the reason I'm against them is that.... at least traditionally, they're based on the non-scientific premise that all health is determined by the flow of vital force through the spine, to organs. They claim that all disease is caused by "kinks" or "subluxations" in the spine. My aunt, who is into all kinds of bs alternative medicine, for example, claims to know someone who knows someone who was cured of blindness by a chiropractic adjustment.

When I said "wow. thats incredible. I had no idea that the optic nerve traveled from the back of the eye, all the way down to your lower back, before doubling back on itself and connecting to the brain. That seams wildly inefficient, but it must be true ", I got called "closed-minded"

So basically, traditional chiropractors are nut-jobs. And "good" chiropractors are massage therapists, sharing the title of nutjob. And most lie somewhere in between. (I'm kind of a dork for scientific skepticism. I have the same handle on the Skeptics Guide to the Universe forums btw)

Maybe I'll look for a massage therapist.
 

inq89

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2009
Messages
462
Reaction score
3
I want to get a used one off of craigs too. I don't have a bad back but I want to use to decompress after heavy squats and deadlifts. I've heard they can prevent height shrinkage or even increase it (just by an inch or so at most). Any truth?
 

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
5,713
Reaction score
445
Originally Posted by inq89
. I've heard they can prevent height shrinkage or even increase it (just by an inch or so at most). Any truth?

I doubt it. Astronauts would "decompress" for months on end and grow 1/2 inch taller in space. Back to normal when they got back to earth though.


Wouldn't the inversion be awful your knees?
 

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 16 3.5%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 76 16.8%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 150 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 75 16.6%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 37 8.2%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 26 5.7%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 16 3.5%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 9 2.0%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 13 2.9%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 4 0.9%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 4 0.9%
  • 100+

    Votes: 27 6.0%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,544
Messages
9,200,186
Members
193,185
Latest member
PaulineHoops

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top