1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Inverse pants cuffs?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Finsen, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Finsen

Finsen Senior member

Since I haven't decided if I want cuffs or not on my suit pants, an idea came up. What if I do inverse cuffs on the pants? Basically, it will be like pants cuffs but folded and sewn inward instead of out. So, I will have a straight hem to start with, and if I want cuffs next season, I can simply turn out the extra materials.

Do you think the extra material would affect how the pants drape? How much materials can I leave in before it will affect the drape (if at all)? Anyone has tried this?

2. Chips

Chips Senior member

I think it will fail miserably.

3. calvinloke

calvinloke Senior member

You can't even decide on that? You are worse than a lady.

4. gsugsu

gsugsu Senior member

just sounds strange to me. Either cuff them or don't.

5. DerekH

DerekH Well-Known Member

Inverse pant cuffs? I don't get it

Just ask them to leave enough fabric so that you'll be able to change a straight hem into a cuff.

6. Drydis Greis

Drydis Greis Senior member

Eric Glennie, is that you? What purpose could inverse cuffs possibly have, stylistically or otherwise?

7. Kentishman

Kentishman Senior member

Is this not just simply having the pants hemmed? I have this done all the time – visibile cuffs are not really my thing.

Unless I've totally misunderstood what you mean...

8. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

He likely wants enough fabric inside for cuffing in the future, but is afraid that 3-4" of fabric inside a leg that tapers won't look right so he wants them cuffed inside.

9. Drydis Greis

Drydis Greis Senior member

He likely wants enough fabric inside for cuffing in the future, but is afraid that 3-4" of fabric inside a leg that tapers won't look right so he wants them cuffed inside.

It would seem the color of the "exposed" material would be a shade lighter than that of the non-exposed thereby negating any possible use for the excess material. Now I could be wrong...

10. ryoneo

ryoneo Senior member

just sounds strange to me. Either cuff them or don't.

+1

11. apropos

apropos Senior member

It works - you get the weight of a pair of cuffs, but not the outward appearance of them.

It only is a bit tricky to do if your pants are markedly tapered.

To the other (unhelpful) posters, you guys FAIL.

12. Finsen

Finsen Senior member

It works - you get the weight of a pair of cuffs, but not the outward appearance of them.

It only is a bit tricky to do if your pants are markedly tapered.

To the other (unhelpful) posters, you guys FAIL.

That's my original thought too. And if I want the appearance of a straight hem, I would leave the cuffs folded and sewn inward. But if I want the appearance of cuffs, I can just fold it out and sew it that way to have a fresh look. Theoretically I agree that it would have the same weight-effect on the pants without the appearance of cuffs. But I haven't heard or seen anyone doing it this way, that's why I am not entirely sure how the pants would drape.

Why would it be tricky if the pants are significantly tapered? Would that apply to normal outward cuffs, as in putting cuffs on a pair of significantly tapered pants would be tricky?

13. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

This sounds like a terrible idea. Anyway, if you're truly undecided, why not get normal non-inversed cuffs?

14. Finsen

Finsen Senior member

It would seem the color of the "exposed" material would be a shade lighter than that of the non-exposed thereby negating any possible use for the excess material. Now I could be wrong...

I doubt there will be significant change in color, unless I really expose it to the sun or wear the hell out of it (?)

15. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Many of my pants hems are not completely straight but slightly slanted towards the heel (especially the uncuffed ones). To do what you want to do, you wouldn't be able to have any angle in the hem. Which may or may not not be an issue for you. Another option, which is only reserved for the upper echelon of bigtime society, is to have the cuffs fitted with a button (I know!!... doesn't that sounds awesome-ish?) which you could attach either cuffed or inside the leg. Real young buffala horn only, please.

16. apropos

apropos Senior member

That's my original thought too. And if I want the appearance of a straight hem, I would leave the cuffs folded and sewn inward. But if I want the appearance of cuffs, I can just fold it out and sew it that way to have a fresh look. Theoretically I agree that it would have the same weight-effect on the pants without the appearance of cuffs. But I haven't heard or seen anyone doing it this way, that's why I am not entirely sure how the pants would drape.

Why would it be tricky if the pants are significantly tapered? Would that apply to normal outward cuffs, as in putting cuffs on a pair of significantly tapered pants would be tricky?

The drape will be identical to a pair of cuffed pants.

As for why it will be tricky with sharply tapered pants, take a triangle of paper, and fold the 'tip' back onto the 'base'. Note how there is a gap between the 'sides' of the tip and the sides of the 'base'. There you will have your answer. It is just as tricky for cuffed pants.

17. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have a pair with what you could call inverse cuffs, drape is exactly the same as if it had cuffs.

18. bafield

bafield Senior member

Since I haven't decided if I want cuffs or not on my suit pants, an idea came up. What if I do inverse cuffs on the pants? Basically, it will be like pants cuffs but folded and sewn inward instead of out. So, I will have a straight hem to start with, and if I want cuffs next season, I can simply turn out the extra materials.

Do you think the extra material would affect how the pants drape? How much materials can I leave in before it will affect the drape (if at all)? Anyone has tried this?

You should definitely do this...and then wear the pants inside out so that the cuff looks normal.

19. mt_spiffy

mt_spiffy Senior member

Are the pants pleated?