• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inverallan

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ yea that's the site I initially went to. I emailed them about a month ago re availability and sizing and they just got back to me today. They said to check the Clutch Cafe site, as I guess that's where all the Allevol stuff is being sold now. Dunno why the site doesn't work for you, I just tried it and it works for me.
Worked for me too.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you look up Inverallan now the link to their site brings you to a page with a list of stockists. When I first saw this I swear my eyes got all sparkly and lit up. I got really excited thinking maybe there would be some cool donegal goodies out there somewhere. Indeed, my hopes were high for a 6A in some nice earthy tone. But no, it was all wishful thinking.

Most of the places did boring End type orders in solid colors, or lots of mittens, scarves, and toques. Go ahead, go through the list, it's kind of a let down how all these places are sleeping on the awesome yarn choices. Anyway. I did come across this place, Allevol. Seems like they do something unique with Inverallan about every Fall. This time around they mostly did stuff in the indigo cottons. There actually were a couple 3As in a blue donegal and red donegal, but they sold out. You can still get some donegal mitts tho. The Allevol stuff is sold at a place called Clutch Cafe:

https://clutch-cafe.com/collections/allevol

If you're unsure of the cotton versions, do it. I bought a black indigo cotton 3A from Inventory a while back and it was my favorite piece of knitwear for Spring. On a chunk level they're almost higher than the wools, but not itchy at all. Ideal to wear when the temps get warmer. Plus it fades out all nice when washed, what with all those crevices and ridges in the knit. They're just cool in a way the wool ones aren't. If they had the denim cotton I would be all over that ****, oh well.
I've had my eye on the Allevol cotton Inverallans for a while now. I should probably just pick one up. What do you think about sizing? I was wearing one of my wool Inverallans in 40 just yesterday, and realized that one more size up to 42 might have been ideal for extra length. Not sure if this would be true with the cotton knits, since they likely stretch more.

Last edited:

dotcomzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@zissou which model are you interested in? I've only ever owned a crolly 6A and an indigo cotton 3A, so I don't know how much help I'll be. I can say with certainty the 3A in a 42 was roomier than the 6A, which was a 44. But I don't know if that's because the 3A fits bigger in general than the 6As, or because it was cotton. In any case the cotton ones do stretch, but not much cause the cotton is pretty thick. And the stretch goes away once washed. I mean it was hands down my heaviest knit at the time.

Oh and sorry if I blew your spot :hide:

Last edited:

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, it’s alright. I’ve been waffling in them for a couple years. I want a 1A in either color. I don’t think 3As fit larger than any other model, as far as I can tell. Maybe then the 40 is my best bet in the cottons, as my 40 in wool fits well but could stand to stretch a couple inches in length to fit best.

dotcomzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, it could well have been the fact it was cotton then, because it was roomier in the chest and arms for sure. But who knows, I mean they have Japanese sized versions on top of US/UK versions, add the fact they're handmade by Scottish grannies, I would assume there's bound to be variances in each of the garments. It was definitely odd tho. I guess if I was you I'd just ping them and get measurements off the 1A you're eyeing and compare with what you have. But the cotton is super dope, you won't be disappointed.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few days ago, I ordered a cotton black indigo 1A from Clutch Cafe. The guys there were super helpful with measurements, and were all around nice guys.

93438D54-85CC-4CC2-9E85-63B26EBF1B50.png

The knit arrived today (2-day express from London), and I’d say it’s an ideal fit! I ordered a 40, which is my usual 1A size. My fingertips started to turn black just from putting it on and taking it off. I’ll have to be sure to never wear it with a white shirt.

CAB6085D-E9B4-47CB-9102-F94700754464.jpeg

Can’t wait to see how it fades over time.

dotcomzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Strange my black cotton 3A never bled at all and I wore it over light/white stuff constantly.

In any case that's a sweet kop zis, makes me miss mine

Beav

Reaction score
A few days ago, I ordered a cotton black indigo 1A from Clutch Cafe. The guys there were super helpful with measurements, and were all around nice guys.

View attachment 956309

The knit arrived today (2-day express from London), and I’d say it’s an ideal fit! I ordered a 40, which is my usual 1A size. My fingertips started to turn black just from putting it on and taking it off. I’ll have to be sure to never wear it with a white shirt.

View attachment 956310

That is a handsome piece!

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Definitely a grail piece for me. I’m not to worried about the bleeding. Most of what I wear is indigo, so maybe it will all just mix together!

In any case that's a sweet kop zis, makes me miss mine
That was the saddest story I ever heard.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Every aspect of it looks great z.

Lindz001

Reaction score
I can't believe i read that whole thing. Are tweed colours available anywhere out was that just a made to order option?

Does anyone know what makes their knits so good and can your learn then without being a highland crofter?

Im really torn now. When I'd only seen the pictures in End i only liked the pullover and thought the cardigans are ugly. But now that I've seen people actually wearing them i love them too.i can't really even justify getting one sweater from these guys so i have to choose wisely

Last edited:

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 956309

View attachment 956310

This looks awesome, @zissou, nice pickup. Ever since Inverallan stiffed me out of my 3A and $ from that special order you graciously put together many years back, I never picked up a replacement since they left a sour taste in my mouth, but maybe that will change someday. Is there any chance you could post measurements from the size 40 you picked up and share any size 42 measurements you may have gotten from Clutch in your email exchanges so I can gauge sizing? I'm generally a medium across the board in brands, assuming I would be a 40, possibly a 42 for more slouchy fit, not sure.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads