• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inverallan

Bingham

Reaction score
You might have more luck with sitewide % off (singles day, Black Friday etc) rather than end of season sales on select items.

Yeah- wishing I had the itch for a new sweater back when they did a site wide sale. Hoping some items go on sale around the New Year.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless you really want a knit with the Inverallan name, there are much better knits available for that price. The yarn really isn’t anything to shake a stick at.

shortlefty

Reaction score
Unless you really want a knit with the Inverallan name, there are much better knits available for that price. The yarn really isn’t anything to shake a stick at.

What would you recommend

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh Z knows his knits. I have 3 cardigan and two hats. With invernallan I feel the wool is tough vs nice to the touch when compare to inis and esk

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What would you recommend
Curious to know ...
I guess I've just gotten a ton of much nicer knits from Margaret Howell, ESK, Cabourn (still ESK), and De Bonne Facture on sale for the same price or less than the cost of an Inverallan. Even Inis Meain (on sale) is a much better option than Inverallan. But, I don't like how IM fits my tall, slim frame. I've sold off most of my Inverallans because I never wore them. I do still have two wool 1As and a black indigo cotton 1A because they look great on me. But, I rarely wear them.

If you want that classic Aran look, I would at least look for one made from merino wool, which is much more comfortable to wear. Glen Aran, Aran Sweater Market, and Aran Crafts all have some nice options. They probably aren't hand-knitted, and I can't vouch for exactly where each of them is made, though.

In the end, if you really want the hand-knitted sweater with the Inverallan name, go for it. END is pretty much the best place to get them. Or, you can be badass and get a weird one from Clutch Café.

On a side note, is this not the sexiest thing you've ever seen?
A835-pink-mist__54489.1556624057.1280.1280.jpg

Last edited:

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I like inverallan because they have a nice balance of heft to them, not too airy and not too heavy. I hope nobody is expecting a luxurious but hardy knit when they purchase them which is why I have 3 of them, or is it 4 I forget.

Bingham

Reaction score
Yeah, I would agree that they aren't necessarily the softest things in the world. But was wanting to get a classic Aran handknit crew and I'm nut sure of too many other options.

Bingham

Reaction score
I've sold off most of my Inverallans because I never wore them. I do still have two wool 1As and a black indigo cotton 1A because they look great on me. But, I rarely wear them.

Well, if you're ever looking to unload a 1A, I may know a guy...:)

Prue

Reaction score
Hey all,

This is my first post on sf after lurking all your knitwear threads.

About to buy some Inverallan, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with customs duties shipping to the US? I heard a lot of talk about UK textiles and whiskey facing new tariffs back in October of '19, but don't know what became of it.

I would hate to drop ~300 USD on a piece just to have to pay another $100 to in import duties.

Prue

Reaction score
I pray you are right, sjmin.

I will update when it arrives.

Regg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I pray you are right, sjmin.

I will update when it arrives.

There shouldn't be any duty under $800

don't believe that is the case for items made in the UK(is it $200?). there have been mixed reports of people being charged or not being charged, however.

sjmin209

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All the regs. I've seen say $800 (until this Regg suggested $200). I've probably ordered a dozen times from the UK in hte past year, all over $200 & never paid duty. Just curious--do you have a source for that?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads