• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Introduction

Andrew0409

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am 27 years old Taiwanese American currently living in Italy right now. I will be attending a Masters's in Finance program in the fall in London, I would like to dress more professionally as part of the decision to go to school in London was networking opportunities in the financial sector. I currently dress more casual, jeans and a shirt or sporty as my industry is fitness but I want to change careers into finance.

I am tall, almost 6'3 (189cm) without shoes, I have wide shoulders and I have an athletic build and keep very fit weighing around 205lbs (93kg) so I have trouble finding anything that fits me off the rack. Not to mention long arms that make any off the rack shirt end up so loose to get my sleeve length. So it looks like I will have to get most things bespoke or MTM. Luckily, I'll be in Taiwan soon (Can't with the corona virus in Italy right now) and a bespoke dress shirt cost about 45$ to get done out of decent to good fabric. Oddly enough, fabric can be cheaper in Taiwan vs Europe/Italy where it's made, probably due to taxes. And the cost of labor is low. But unfortunately, most jackets and suits are very old fashion in Taiwan so I will probably go with MTM once I'm in London.

As for shoes, as much as it's classy for a leather sole, I am worried that London's weather is too rainy for walking around the city with a leather sole. I saw @Carmina does some with a hybrid of leather and rubber called Tomir that looks like a good option for daily commute around the city. Any advice on if rubber soles look ok or needed for my situation?

I was thinking of building a simple budget professional-looking wardrobe with the following.
1 business suit, navy.
3 Sports jacket, 1 Navy and what other colors would fit all around?
2 white shirts, 2 blues, and 1 different color to give it a mix.
1 black cap toe oxford
1 brown brogue oxford for slightly more casual
1 more shoe but I'm not sure which.
5 pants with 3 dark colors and 2 light colors.

Any advice? Or tips about dressing in London?

Panama

Reaction score
Why the suit? People in London are slobs, they go to the opera and ballet in t-shirts and shorts. I would just head to Bicester when you arrive and grab anything that is a bargain. Look around the sales. I just got 3 Smyth and Gibson made in UK (Ulster) shirts for less £120.00.

Andrew0409

Reaction score
Why the suit? People in London are slobs, they go to the opera and ballet in t-shirts and shorts. I would just head to Bicester when you arrive and grab anything that is a bargain. Look around the sales. I just got 3 Smyth and Gibson made in UK (Ulster) shirts for less £120.00.

im preparing to interview and things of that nature. Part of why I’m spending a lot to live there for school. I don’t want to dress like a slob.

Panama

Reaction score
im preparing to interview and things of that nature. Part of why I’m spending a lot to live there for school. I don’t want to dress like a slob.
Well there is a designer outlet centre at Bicester, Italian and UK branded suits used to be available. I haven't worn a suit for years, and was hired last year as an IT Director. I turned up in dress shirt and dark chinos after clarifying the interview dress code. Daks and Aquascutum suits used to be available for an English look.

Andrew0409

Reaction score
Well there is a designer outlet centre at Bicester, Italian and UK branded suits used to be available. I haven't worn a suit for years, and was hired last year as an IT Director. I turned up in dress shirt and dark chinos after clarifying the interview dress code. Daks and Aquascutum suits used to be available for an English look.

My understanding is people in finance like bankers (Especially in London) care a bit more about looking professional and dress well. Part of your job is to project the prestige of your firm, especially when your clients are millionaires and billion-dollar corporations. Depending on your position and department, it can be a client-facing job. I don't think IT does much of that day to day, I would assume.

Last edited:

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol. I am a little confused why someone on Styleforum would ask you why you would want a suit when you came asking for CM advice.

Sounds to me like you are on the right track.

For other jackets besides a navy. Could do an oatmeal or a tan or sand. Could do a brown of some type. Some sorts of plaid? Gunclub if you hone that way? Dark green?

For shirts, white and blue are great go tos. I might go get a bengal stripe as your last.

For the shoe slot - I would probably fill that last slot with a loafer or a chukka depending on your taste.

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can try The Anthology for suits and sport jackets. They have a store in Taiwan, not sure how close to you, and a decent amount of trunkshows in London. I'm waiting for them to visit NYC this summer.

Andrew0409

Reaction score
Lol. I am a little confused why someone on Styleforum would ask you why you would want a suit when you came asking for CM advice.

Sounds to me like you are on the right track.

For other jackets besides a navy. Could do an oatmeal or a tan or sand. Could do a brown of some type. Some sorts of plaid? Gunclub if you hone that way? Dark green?

For shirts, white and blue are great go tos. I might go get a bengal stripe as your last.

For the shoe slot - I would probably fill that last slot with a loafer or a chukka depending on your taste.

I'm not sure why a business suit seemed off for a post grad student looking to go into finance in London.

I think oatmeal or tan for a jacket seem safe and easy to match around, I'm not sure about green. I don't wear a lot of green and i'm not the best at color matching.

And I was looking at chukkas, I think they will work well going into the fall and winter in London. It's a bit colder than what i'm used to.

Andrew0409

Reaction score
You can try The Anthology for suits and sport jackets. They have a store in Taiwan, not sure how close to you, and a decent amount of trunkshows in London. I'm waiting for them to visit NYC this summer.

Thanks, I will check out anthology, i never knew they had a place in Taiwan. It's close to where I am in Taipei. Their website is down though, do you know around what their price range would be?

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I will check out anthology, i never knew they had a place in Taiwan. It's close to where I am in Taipei. Their website is down though, do you know around what their price range would be?

Probably a little less in Taiwan, but for trunkshows in London £1440 for suits and £1050 for sport jackets, plus vat. Also they don't upcharge much for fabrics, which is very rare.

They haven't launched the website yet. Should be up in a day or two

Andrew0409

Reaction score
Probably a little less in Taiwan, but for trunkshows in London £1440 for suits and £1050 for sport jackets, plus vat. Also they don't upcharge much for fabrics, which is very rare.

They haven't launched the website yet. Should be up in a day or two

cool. I’ll give them a try. I worry they won’t have anything that fits unless bespoke in Taiwan. I run into this problem often. Not many tall wide shouldered men in Taiwan.

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cool. I’ll give them a try. I worry they won’t have anything that fits unless bespoke in Taiwan. I run into this problem often. Not many tall wide shouldered men in Taiwan.
They are pretty good at what they do, just shoot them a message on Instagram.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya I would imagine af your height Taiwan is a rough place to shop. I'm 6' with a size 12 shoe and literally nothing in the country fits me.

My wife is taiwanese american and we go visit her extended family every year. Shes 5'8 and even though slender too tall for most of the clothing there.

Great place for accessories and watches though!

Andrew0409

Reaction score
Ya I would imagine af your height Taiwan is a rough place to shop. I'm 6' with a size 12 shoe and literally nothing in the country fits me.

My wife is taiwanese american and we go visit her extended family every year. Shes 5'8 and even though slender too tall for most of the clothing there.

Great place for accessories and watches though!

It's actually also rough in Italy, Italians aren't very tall either. There are taller people in the northern part of Italy, but people in the south are really short.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's actually also rough in Italy, Italians aren't very tall either. There are taller people in the northern part of Italy, but people in the south are really short.

Yes. Well according to the Italians in Tuscany or above, everything south of Rome is basically a gutter with the occasional pair of good pants.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads