• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Introduction, and eBay woes

bookish

Reaction score
Hi.

I've been lurking for a while and figured I would chime in, not only because I have plenty of questions but also because my wallet stops wincing when I'm typing instead of looking through online catalogs.

Recently, I've been taking advantage of eBay, which is a great way to get clothing of the wrong size shipped across the country to your doorstep for far less money than the same clothing of the wrong size would have cost at a retail store.

The present culprit, from a very reputable seller, is a Corneliani Trend linen suit (half-canvas, decent material, armholes too large, FIVE sleeve buttons arranged in a pyramid, $150 shipped with bonus necktie). It was a size 48 (European), which is my size, except that it's actually a 54, which isn't.

Interestingly enough, even though the shoulders are 19.5 inches wide, which would usually make my head look like a pin, the padding is so thin that it took me a minute to realize how far off the size really is. I don't think I'll be able to get the pants taken in by 7 inches, though, so back it goes.

The reason I know shoulders wider than 18 inches normally give me a pinhead is that I recently had to return a Land's End suit as well. It was the right tag size, but their traditional-cut suits apparently run larger in the shoulders in addition to being, despite what their catalog copy claims, "boxy." For $150 (overstock) the Virginia Year'Round suit is still a pretty good deal (fused, obviously, but decent 100% wool fabric for the price), if you're some kind of broad-shouldered Trad or something.

Returning two suits means the only one I have left is a black pinstripe three-button wool/lycra-blend suit from Men's Wearhouse. (Yeah. I know. Now.) At least it fits, mostly.

Anyway, eBay isn't all bad. I got a great Brooksease herringbone sportcoat for $20 that I wear a lot because it fits so well. And I've found some good deals on Allen Edmonds. Speaking of which, the last pair hasn't come yet and the seller deleted their account a few days ago...

It's almost enough to drive a guy back to actual stores.

bookish

Reaction score
I live in Madison, Wisconsin, which is the best-dressed city in the entire county. As for New York, never been, and I've not been compared to Woody Allen before. I'll have to think about that one. I'm more of a Monty Python fan than a Woody fan, though I wouldn't try to emulate them. It's enough work to pull off a solid business look, much less drag.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bookish
I live in Madison, Wisconsin, which is the best-dressed city in the entire county. As for New York, never been, and I've not been compared to Woody Allen before. I'll have to think about that one. I'm more of a Monty Python fan than a Woody fan, though I wouldn't try to emulate them. It's enough work to pull off a solid business look, much less drag.

Lots of competition in Dane Co, huh?

I'm in Madison at the moment as well, it's my hometown although I've been away for most of the last decade and a half. Not much shopping to speak of, here, although they have updated the malls a bit since the last time I visited. Oh well, NYC in a few days
smile.gif

bookish

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Only a fully trained Jedi Knight (you) with the Force (styleforum) as his ally will conquer Vader and his Emperor (ebay).
Styleforce?

Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Not much shopping to speak of
Not true. We have a Men's Wearhouse and a Jos. A Bank!

On the plus side, if I muster up the willingness to go bespoke (it's kind of like diving into cold water at the beginning of summer, except with the downpayment on a future house) I'll be one of the best-dressed guys in 50 miles.

Originally Posted by diorshoe
i like alot of woody allen's work, but not a big fan of monty python. anyways, have fun here at the forum!
Thanks. I have to admit, the Pythons go over the top a lot and are best consumed in small amounts or in the right mood. Woody has the subtlety of wit to avoid that stuff, and I suppose his material endures better, though I actually haven't watched any in a long time. On the other hand, somebody has to come up with all the cheese and herring jokes.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Not true. We have a Men's Wearhouse and a Jos. A Bank!

No way, a Jos A. Bank here? Where!?

The H&M here is only for women...
mad.gif

bookish

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
No way, a Jos A. Bank here? Where!?

The H&M here is only for women...
mad.gif

It's at Greenway Station, which is a trendy suburban outdoor mall on the Northwest side of town, just off the Beltline. Jos. A Bank and Orvis both have locations there, and Marshalls moved there, too. No sportjackets or men's suits at the Marshalls, though, just some OK shirts, ties, and belts, and some pretty bad shoes.

There's also an Allen Edmonds outlet on Mineral Point road. The salesmen are courteous and seem to know their stuff, and they stock seconds.

Land's End has an outlet ("Inlet") on the west side as well, near Target. Decent selection of trousers and all the button-down shirts you could ever want, cheap. They've even started stocking a few sportjackets, which previously only the downtown location did.

pkincy

Reaction score
Hi.

Recently, I've been taking advantage of eBay, which is a great way to get clothing of the wrong size shipped across the country to your doorstep for far less money than the same clothing of the wrong size would have cost at a retail store.

nod[1].gif

That is the best description of Ebay I have ever ever seen!

I bought one large lot on Ebay that was advertised as all from one owner and all 54L (e size). It arrived and indeed had 3 42L or e54L or R and a 58R, 60R, and a 64R!

Perry

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pkincy
nod[1].gif

That is the best description of Ebay I have ever ever seen!

I bought one large lot on Ebay that was advertised as all from one owner and all 54L (e size). It arrived and indeed had 3 42L or e54L or R and a 58R, 60R, and a 64R!

Perry

Perry, Did you ever get credited on those Ebay bayoucandle purchases? I did not, but I spent less than $45.00! C'est la vie!
confused.gif

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
from a very reputable seller, is a Corneliani Trend linen suit (half-canvas, decent material, armholes too large, FIVE sleeve buttons arranged in a pyramid, $150 shipped with bonus necktie). It was a size 48 (European), which is my size, except that it's actually a 54, which isn't.
Selling a EU sz 54 suit as an EU 48 is pretty dumb and doesn't sound like something a reputable seller would do. Who was the seller?

Cme0716 I Hope You Don't Type Your Auctions Like This. It's Annoying, Not To Mention Hard To Read.

Newton

Reaction score
Browsing through the American Ebay site the other day, I was quite jealous of the selection of brands popping up.

The Australian site has pretty much been hijacked by cheap fakes from China. The limited things that do come up from people's private collections normally do not pass muster, either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads