• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Introduction and advice required.

LawBoy

Reaction score
A quick 'about me':
I am 22 years old, I have now left university and finished my post-graduate year. I have now obtained my first 'real' job.
My job is in a large law firm (in the UK). I have never really needed a suit up until now, apart from obvious occasions like funerals, weddings, church? and interviews. Therefore, most of the suits I own, are black.

So, I have gone from not needing a suit, to needing a suit Monday-Friday every week.

At the moment, as said, most of the suits I own are black. I have attached photos of my main suits, I do own a few others, but they are also black. The advise I am asking is, what can I wear with these suits to make them office acceptable(from what I have read on here, black suits is a no for the office, at the moment I don't have a choice). I have attached a picture of my grey suit, I also have a charcoal pinstripe suit (not pictured yet) and I am looking to buy one other suit at the moment (Navy) advise on this would be helpful.

Shoes that I have so far are the pictured Trussardi double monks and a plain pair of oxford cap toe (Marks and spencer). I am looking to possibly but 1 other pair at the moment.

Shirts I have, mainly white, although I have got 1 light blue and one light pink. I have a lot of ties, mainly plain colours.

I think this is all the information you need to advise me? I know that black suits are not ideal, although I am hoping they will do until I am paid. I have a limited amount of money to spend on shirt/tie combinations, potentially 1 pair of shoes and 1 suit.

Advise away...
eh.gif

The double monkstraps.
DSCF1007.jpg

Daniel Hechter suit.
DSCF1006.jpg

Next Suit
DSCF1005.jpg

3pc Grey Suit.
DSCF1004.jpg

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not much you can do, but there's not much you need to do yet. Maybe add blue shirts to limit the starkness of black-on-white.

Keep your hair clean and cut neatly, and use as little product as possible.

Make sure your shirts are clean and pressed and that your tie is knotted well - think four in hand rather than big FU windsor.

Keep your shoes clean and polished (and open the second buckle on the monks when you're taking them off - you're ruining the heel counter by jamming your foot it).

Buy grey and navy suits when the time and the money come. Good luck.

If you're buying more ties, try to match them with navy or grey too.

juvefan

Reaction score
you seem in a lot better shape than most, black suits notwithstanding. when you got the money, buy the navy suit and a pair of brown shoes

E TF

Reaction score
Exceptionally good advice from Alliswell. I would add a third pair of shoes as a priority over another suit, if only because the other two will wear out quickly with continuous use. See what colour shoes your boss at the firm wears - brown shoes are often frowned upon in the more conservative offices of the UK. Also note difference between advice and advise (especially relevant for a job in a law firm I would have thought)
smile.gif

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try to post a snap of the chalkstripe suit...those can border on too flashy for the office.

I think your grey three-piece is spectacular, but it might be a bit too high-fashion for the office.

LawBoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by E,TF
Exceptionally good advice from Alliswell. I would add a third pair of shoes as a priority over another suit, if only because the other two will wear out quickly with continuous use. See what colour shoes your boss at the firm wears - brown shoes are often frowned upon in the more conservative offices of the UK. Also note difference between advice and advise (especially relevant for a job in a law firm I would have thought)
smile.gif

One type for a post that size, in a hurry, not too shabby. But thanks. Thanks to all for the adviCe so far. MrDaniels, I will try to get a picture of the suit up as soon as I get it back. I know what you mean about the grey suit, lapels and one button to me seems a bit high-fashion also, that is the reason it was purchased though. E,TF, What third pair of shoes would you recommend? I know that monkstraps, especially double, are not ideal under a suit, but they are what I have at the moment. The oxfords are a classic though, what third pair would you recommend. Alliswell, thanks for the advice. The four-in-hand especially rather than the windsor. With the monk straps, will undo both buckles from now on. With the hair, I am always clean shaven although I have a shaven head also, therefore product is zero. Question to all, it is my last pay day from my small job tomorrow, what should be my number one purchase?

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawBoy

Question to all, it is my last pay day from my small job tomorrow, what should be my number one purchase?

My question would be do you have enough shirts and ties? Having some high-quality, distinct ones might help dress up the suits you have until you can invest in more.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You did alright by yourself. Mind you, those double monks look like submarines in these photos. The grey 3 piece is pretty wild. 1-button single breasted with peaks is a pretty bold look for legal work.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
The grey 3 piece is pretty wild. 1-button single breasted with peaks is a pretty bold look for legal work.

It will be spectacular for the office Christmas party though!

LawBoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
My question would be do you have enough shirts and ties? Having some high-quality, distinct ones might help dress up the suits you have until you can invest in more.

Shirts I have...
I have a few Hawes & Curtis shirts, 1 blue, a few white, 1 grey.
T.M. Lewin - Bought 2, although I don't like the fit, 1 pink, 1 white.

My best fitting shirt is a white Paul Costelloe shirt.

Hawes & Curtis have got shirts for £20 at the moment, and I do like their fit over T.M. Lewin, so may pick up a few more.

Ties. I seem to have quite a few. Various shades of red, blue, 1 pink, 1 purple/green. They are all silk, I don't own any knitted ties or anything like that.

E TF

Reaction score
Well another pair of black oxfords would be a good bet, not very exciting I know but at least you could get some with a bit of broguing as your others are plain. Try Barker or Loakes, if they're within your budget. Sounds like you're sorted for ties for the time being (knit ties are probably a bit too out there for a law firm anyway), but could do with a few more shirts.
When I had my first proper job (about 8 years ago now) I remember it took a while to get some discipline into my laundry cycle and clean shirts were always the first thing I ran out of, invariably on a morning where I was running late and had a meeting or something on. So ideally you need a good couple of weeks' worth to make sure there's always one on hand. Stripy shirts seem popular in the legal profession in England, but again perhaps stick to plain blues until you see what other people at the office are wearing.
Best of luck!

arc

Reaction score
You should certainly see what others at your firm are wearing before acquiring too much more.

As a next purchase you'll likely want more conservative shoes. The double monks are fine, but a bit dandyish. Something like black semi-brogue oxfords would be perfect.

Steer clear of brown shoes for now. The people suggesting these are likely American. Not that there's anything wrong with that; black shoes are just much more standard in the UK.

LawBoy

Reaction score
E,TF thanks for the advice, especially with the laundry cycle, I can imagine it being a bit of an issue for me at first as well. Just a routine I need to get into, I suppose.

I have noticed a lot of legal types wearing stripy shirts, although they all seem to be partners from my experience. I will probably steer clear of them for now, express a bit of style/flair in the tie if needs be.

Arc, I thought the same with regards to brown shoes, I think they look nice but a bit out there for England, especially in a legal-office environment. I wasn't sure if semi-brogue/brogue oxfords would be a bit much, do you have a link to any you feel would be suitable?

Thanks.

Not Ed Harris

Reaction score
Suit-wise you're probably ok for your first couple of months. I'd not wear the waistcoat of the 3-piece though as you're only starting and at a big firm you'll very much be a small cog. I'd maybe get a couple more shirts and a few more ties now, and the likes of Charles Tyrwhitt, TM Lewin or even M&S will probably be fine.

For your next pair of shoes I'd probably go for another pair of black oxfords. If you get a decent pair, then they'll last you years and that'll be even longer if you've got a couple of pairs to share the burden. I wouldn't go for brown shoes, particularly if you're in a litigation department because as a junior there's no telling when you might get dragged off to court to carry all the boxes of files (or just add an extra £150 an hour to their bill).

After you've got a couple of paycheques you should probably look at getting a couple more suits so you've got one for each day of the week. It'll probably be the sales then as well.

Oh, and good luck.

LawBoy

Reaction score
Thanks for that, Not Ed Harris, that was one I forgot to mention, I am in a litigation department, so I need to be suitably dressed for office/court.

I will be avoiding the waistcoat, I just thought I would put it in the picture.

Does anyone have any recommendations for shirt/tie style and colour combinations for any of the above suits?

Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads