1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Introducing Sizeadvisor.com: Find shoes that fit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claus, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Claus

Claus Senior member

Hi ManofKent,

I meant 3 ratings before recommendations are displayed, provided one would get any recommendations, at all.

The last time I looked, Sizeadvisors' top contributor has submitted close to 10 ratings. Almost anyone who provided ratings submitted 3.

I think, it's just fair play to contribute something, too, before one benefits from other people's contributions. After all, the purpose of the site is sharing and helping eachother.

2. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Hi ManofKent,

I meant 3 ratings before recommendations are displayed, provided one would get any recommendations, at all.

The last time I looked, Sizeadvisors' top contributor has submitted close to 10 ratings. Almost anyone who provided ratings submitted 3.

I think, it's just fair play to contribute something, too, before one benefits from other people's contributions. After all, the purpose of the site is sharing and helping eachother.

Sounds fair. I think it's more than 10 btw [​IMG]

3. Claus

Claus Senior member

Sounds fair. I think it's more than 10 btw [​IMG]

Oh, really? How would you know? [​IMG]

BTW, I've just uploaded the changes: Registration is now open!

Have fun.

4. Sander

Sander Senior member

I've got three reviews but no recommendations - why?

5. Claus

Claus Senior member

Well, the good news is there's already one member with feet similar to yours!

Unfortunately, he hasn't provided any ratings, yet. I can't force him to. But as long as he doesn't change that, he won't see your ratings as recommendations. So, let's hope for the best.

6. Sander

Sander Senior member

Ah, I see. I thought the system worked differently.

7. saimike

saimike Active Member

great idea! good luck!

8. Claus

Claus Senior member

Sander, I admit I need to work a little bit on the usability front. Also, with English as a second language, I mess things up sometimes. [​IMG]

Saimike, thanks a lot! [​IMG]

9. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

I think once it reaches more members the benefits and usefulness of the site will quckly become apparant. It's just getting the initial critical mass.

10. Claus

Claus Senior member

From what I can see so far, today's change was a big step forward.

I'm fairly optimistic.

11. Claus

Claus Senior member

Here's an short update what's going on at Sizeadvisors:

As you can see, we nearly got all common UK sizes covered, expect UK 6. Sign up and help build a complete coverage of all shoes sizes.

On a related note:

I've found the first online shoe shop offering something similar to Sizeadvisors, I guess. It's called Mirapodo. Here's the interesting page.

It's German, obviously, but you can use Google Translate for a rough translation.

Basically, they have scanned the inner measurements of most of the shoes they sell. By using foot measurements provided by the customer, they claim to be able to find the right shoe size for them.

I can't say whether, or how good it works because -- well, let's say, their shoes are not my style. But it's a nice idea, isn't it?

12. Claus

Claus Senior member

Here's another update:

Membership increased to over 100 alpha testers, so it seemed appropriate to raise the conditions for generating recommendations. Therefore, I've re-calibrated the recommendation engine.

As a result, the average number of recommendations per member decreased -- but you should see less outliers in your recommendations now.

The recommendation details also got a little bit more useful: You can now check what ratings were used to generate each recommendation. Someone already ask for other people's annotations being shown, too. I'll implement this soon.

Ratings also got a few improvements: For example, you can also now export your ratings. The resulting CSV file should be readable by every spreadsheet application. After I reported about the online shop, it seemed useful to have an export feature... just in case, someone starts a similar service.

There's also a small new icon after the fittings of your ratings -- it points to a page for that particular last. Currently, there's just information about other models made on this last. It'll get more useful in the future. After all, besides recommendations from others, your own ratings are the best indicator of what other shoes might fit well.

There're also various other small improvements and a slight change in the navigation. The later is part of a new design which I hope to finish in the next week. So, don't be surprised if Sizeadvisors looks a little bit different in the future.

BTW: I'm still looking for a few more ALPHA testers. If you wear US 8, please help out.

13. Claus

Claus Senior member

After a longer break, here's another update: Sizeadvisors got a new design: It looks a little bit better, hopefully. I've also fixed a few older issues, and implemented a suggestion to provide better help when adding measurements. The big news, however, is that you can now get recommendations based on your Brannock profile. It basically works in the usual forum style, by adding or subtracting sizes compared to the Brannock profile as a reference point. For example:
    • Member 1 has a Brannock profile of (US) 9 D and wears the AE Park Avenue in (US) 9.5 D.
    • Member 2 has a Brannock profile of (US) 6 D. He gets the Park Avenue recommended in (US) 6.5 D.
    However, there is an important caveat, too: I've found no way, yet, to aggregate and average the results in a meaningful way. Recommendations are a simple list of shoes, not fittings. Consequently, the results need more interpretation! The advantage is, the recommendations cover a broader and more varied spectrum of shoes. If you'd like to use Brannock recommendations, make sure you got recent measurements and -- most important -- you stood upright during the procedure! For those, who just like to try it, there's the option to delete your Brannock profile. Make sure to do this, otherwise other members get recommendations based on guesses. In related news: Sizeadvisors has been found by a Finnish community about clothing, shoes and good life in general, called "Keikari". In other words: Very much like Styleforum, just a tad smaller. [​IMG] They seem to be great fans of traditionally-made British shoes, thus available ratings for Church's, Grenson, and Loake increased quite a bit. I was told good shoes are rather rare locally, thus the Finish community relies on online shopping. Since they seem to be interested in wider shoes, on average, I'd like to ask everyone wearing (US) E, EE, EEE or their English equivalents: Please help and add ratings for shoes you've tried or own. Thanks. [​IMG]

14. Claus

Claus Senior member

Just a short update:

New method 'Similar fittings'

Sizeadvisors got a new feature, yesterday, called 'Similar fittings'. It complements the method based on foot measurements, and replaces the method based on Brannock size measurements.

The 'Similar fittings' method basically analyses everybody's ratings, extracts relationships between different fittings, and uses this -- together with your ratings -- to estimate the fit of lasts you haven't tried yet. Sizes are corrected automatically, if possible.

Example

Let's say you've rated a pair of shoes made on Edward Green's 202 last in (UK) 7.5 E as a "4". Let's also say another member rated a pair of shoes made on Edward Green's 202 last in (UK) 11 E as a "4" and a pair of Allen Edmonds on the 5 (65) last in (US) 11.5 D with a "4".

Consequently, the fit of shoes made on Allen Edmonds' 5 (65) last in (US) 8.0 D is estimated to be a "4" for you.

Of course, the method takes not just one, but all possible relationships into account and averages the results.

Advantages:

When compared to the feet measurement approach (now called "Optimal fittings"), the new method has some advantages:
    • No more need to take measurements.
    • There are more results, if you happen to have rated shoes on popular fittings.
    • These results are less dependent on your size; members wearing less common sizes such as (UK) 6 or (UK) 12 now have a better chance to get fit estimates.

Disadvantages:
    • For the method to work, you need to have ratings -- the more, the better. People new to the kind of shoes featured on Sizeadvisors will be out of luck.
    • The corrections of sizes just works within the [US, UK, AU] systems, and within the [EU] and [IJS] systems. In other words, you can't expect to find fit estimations for shoes usually labeled in EU if your ratings are all for UK or US sizes.
    • The method perpetuate any mistakes in your ratings, or your fit feeling.

As usual, if you have any questions or suggestions, please let me know.

15. Nogginn

Nogginn Active Member

16. HenryFlower

HenryFlower Senior member

Bump to encourage more SFers to enter their data into sizeadvisors.com

17. Claus

Claus Senior member

A short update on what's going on at Sizeadvisors:

Similar recommendations

Since the number of ratings keeps growing, I've decided to drop unknown lasts from the 'Similar fittings' recommendations. They were hardly helpful, and there should be a sufficient amount of recommendations. These are still used to calculate recommendations, though, so don't worry if you happen to have some shoes on unknown lasts in your ratings.

The same thing will happen to the 'Optimal fittings' recommendations.

Now with (some) shoe images

Thanks to the kindness of Adrian Herring, there are now images of models from Barker, Cheaney, Church's, Loake, and Herringshoes. I'll hopefully be able to add more models for other shoe makers in the following weeks, provided I get the necessary permissions.

New brands

Due to requests from members, I've added a the following shoe brands in the last months: Langer & Messmer, W. Gibbs, Lendvay & Schwarcz, Magnanni, Silvano Lattanzi, and Berluti.

New members

Somebody was kind enough to introduce Sizeadvisors in a Dutch style forum. This is awesome. The more shoe enthusiasts participate, the better the results for everyone.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  18. tailoredstuff

tailoredstuff Well-Known Member

Just measured my feet and says I'm a 7UK 8US... have been wearing 6UK... have I been wearing the wrong size shoes!!

19. Claus

Claus Senior member

Yes, unfortunately.

Even if you measured your foot lengths when kneeling, the calculated shoe sizes would be less, not more. Generally speaking, your shoes are a tad too short. They provide an insufficient allowance.

Sizeadvisors uses 1.5 units allowance (plus rounding) for its calculation, which translates into a minimum free space of 0.5 inch (or about 13 mm) in front of your toes. (Allen Edmonds -- and probably also Brannock -- even uses 2 units.)

If you're using UK (6.0) instead of (UK) 7.0, then you only have a nominal allowance of 1/6 inch (or about 4.5mm). Unless all your lasts are elongated, your shoes probably press on your toes while you walk.

If it's a comforting to you: You're not the only or first who made the mistake. Your feet are probably rather narrow compared to the average of the population, and you thus got used to sizing down.

1 person likes this.
  20. Claus

Claus Senior member

Short update:

There're over 800 ratings now!