• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Introducing HD Russell Boots - Hand made, custom, you choose your options, custom fitted if needed

kenucklehead

Reaction score
In the past year, I've been learning how to make my own boots. Some of you may have seen the engineer boots I recently completed. While I learned a lot online, I've also been lucky enough to have gotten a lot of advice and tips from a local (Vancouver, Canada) bootmaker who started his own business a few months ago. David has been in the business for over 30 years, working with other well-known manufacturers in this region. Instead of allowing other people to take credit for the quality of his work, he decided to start his own brand.

I'd like to introduce you to some of his work. The brand is HD Russell and everything he does is custom. Some details:
  • Hand lasted, hand welted (Goodyear welt construction)
  • All leather footbeds
  • stitch-down construction
  • customized lasts are available (including orthopaedic options)
  • Leather from Horween and Siedel
  • Vibram soles and heels (Catspaw heels are an option, with Dr. Sole in the future)
I've been able to secure a group discount if I can get about 20 pairs ordered. As everything is hand made, current delivery is about 6 weeks. If anyone is interested, please message me. Feel free to ask your questions!

5 primary styles: Chelsea, service, logger, short snoot (lower, squarer toe), harness (bulkier square toe, similar to Wesco harness in shape). Engineers to come.

Attachments

• _T3A6453.jpg
    _T3A6453.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 142
  • _T3A6462.jpg
    _T3A6462.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 167
  • _T3A6471.jpg
    _T3A6471.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 168
  • _T3A6487.jpg
    _T3A6487.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 177
  • _T3A6492.jpg
    _T3A6492.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 169
  • _T3A6516.jpg
    _T3A6516.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 165
  • _T3A6520.jpg
    _T3A6520.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 171
  • _T3A6535.jpg
    _T3A6535.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 158
  • _T3A6551.jpg
    _T3A6551.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 176
  • _T3A6569.jpg
    _T3A6569.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:

kenucklehead

Reaction score
I'm in the Vancouver area. Any chance to handle/try on boots in person (after the pandemic dies down)? What's the price range?

Yea, of course. The only issue is David does everything custom and does not have stock in most sizes. You can see what he has available and discuss with him leather options. He will get measurements from you to make sure the boots he builds for you fit you properly.
If you want in on the group price, you’ll need to order through me so I can add you to the list. If you stop by the shop, make sure you tell him Ken sent you. Corner of 1st and Nanaimo.

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea, of course. The only issue is David does everything custom and does not have stock in most sizes. You can see what he has available and discuss with him leather options. He will get measurements from you to make sure the boots he builds for you fit you properly.
If you want in on the group price, you’ll need to order through me so I can add you to the list. If you stop by the shop, make sure you tell him Ken sent you. Corner of 1st and Nanaimo.

I'm interested in a Chelsea, dependent on price.

kenucklehead

Reaction score
I'm interested in a Chelsea, dependent on price.

They would be about $480USD with a 10% discount (current currency exchange). Your choice of leather options and the type of soles/heels you want. Approximately 6 week delivery at the moment.

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They would be about $480USD with a 10% discount (current currency exchange). Your choice of leather options and the type of soles/heels you want. Approximately 6 week delivery at the moment.

Is there a list of leather options?

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your patience. Finally got time to prepare the leather options information. Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks for the info. I was hoping for a reverse chamois, horsebutt or a waxed flesh option. Is that possible?

Last edited:

kenucklehead

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I was hoping for a reverse chamois, horsebutt or a waxed flesh option. Is that possible?

custom leather orders are possible but would depend on their availability. Was there a particular colour in mind?

kenucklehead

Reaction score
Yes! That’s one of my favourite colours with pull-up! If we can get it or something similar, will let you know. Just need to source. There would likely be a surcharge though.

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes! That’s one of my favourite colours with pull-up! If we can get it or something similar, will let you know. Just need to source. There would likely be a surcharge though.

I'd be okay with that.

kenucklehead

Reaction score
What about the brown or natural Chromexcel options as they are standard ones that are similar? The Horween brown pull-up is really nice for that rustic look as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads