• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Introducing D.C. Lewis Footwear - Affiliate Thread

DC Lewis

Reaction score
Gentleman, Thank you for your kind words and patience. We have been working diligently (mostly "behind the scenes") on this project and hopefully you will see the fruits of our labors. For those of you that have purchased from us, please feel free to post a review above. I'm sure SF would love to see some "action shots" as well. If you have not received a reply to your inquiries, please send an email to [email protected] and we will respond as soon as possible. In response to a few questions:
is the captoe available MTO on the 102 last?
Yes, the Porter can be ordered in either the 101 or 102 last.
Great that you started out with a less common model! How does the fit and sizing compare to the C&J 337 last?
PM Sent
Originally Posted by DC Lewis
F, there is a strong possibility that we will be using shell cordovan in the future. I am a huge fan as well.

Some shell cordovan balmoral boots would be absolutely killer.

Will you be using Horween for your source of shell cordovan?
If we use shell cordovan, it will definitely be from Horween as there is no comparable alternative (in my opinion).
These look great...would definitely be interested in picking up a pair if there are narrow widths available.
We are looking into this as possibility for the future. Most likely a MTO option.

DC Lewis

Reaction score

Instead of paying attention to ridiculous superficial things like shoeboxes and sole polishing(!), here is a laundry list of iGent/DFWII questions that no one seems to be asking:- gemmed or not?- full leather sockliner?- leather tanning - chromium or vegetable?- upper leather source?- only full grain leather?- bark tanned soles?- synthetic or leather toe puff?- any fibreboard or reconstituted leather product in the shoe? - heels are 100% leather with the rubber insert?- lasted trees?- sizing comparison to 'established' so-called SF-approved lasts? e.g. JL 7000/8000, EG 82/202, Vass U/F/P2, C&J 337/348, Church 173, etc(next isn't really quite an iGent question)- finally, if this is a factory-made shoe in a 3rd world country (with 3rd world wages), what features actually recommend it over the smorgasbord of midrange factory-made UK shoes where I know people are paid a living wage? A fiddleback sole and nice sole treatment does not a 'top tier' shoe make. Things like handwelting, top notch materials, and care in make do.
These are very good questions. I wanted to insure accuracy in my answers so I was waiting for the owner of the company to get back to me on the more technical questions (he just returned from a trade show). Please find his responses as well as my comments below: - gemmed or not? Their is a canvas rib under the surface of the insole - full leather sockliner? Yes - leather tanning - chromium or vegetable? Vegetable Tanned - upper leather source? French, Italian, or German tanneries. To answer an earlier question, if / when we go with shell cordovan, it will definitely be sourced from Chicago. - only full grain leather? Suede and nu-buck are available as well. Also, exotics may be an option in the future - bark tanned soles? Soles are chestnut-tanned - synthetic or leather toe puff? Synthetic toe puff - any fibreboard or reconstituted leather product in the shoe? No - heels are 100% leather with the rubber insert? Yes - lasted trees? A strong possibility for the future - sizing comparison to 'established' so-called SF-approved lasts? e.g. JL 7000/8000, EG 82/202, Vass U/F/P2, C&J 337/348, Church 173, etc - We are trying to develop a sizing chart for reference but for now, please consult us with individual comparisons so that we can set you up with the size we feel appropriate for your feet. Again, please see our return policy which involves a risk free trial. - finally, if this is a factory-made shoe in a 3rd world country (with 3rd world wages), what features actually recommend it over the smorgasbord of midrange factory-made UK shoes where I know people are paid a living wage? A fiddleback sole and nice sole treatment does not a 'top tier' shoe make. Things like handwelting, top notch materials, and care in make do. A fiddleback sole does not make a top-tier shoe, correct. However, it is one skill that takes a great amount of skill to be done correctly and not something found in a mid-tier shoe. A top-tier shoe is a culmination of various attributes, materials, and skilled labor. You will find that the materials and construction of D.C. Lewis dictate a top-tier shoe. In response to Fstyles, we have chosen this manufacturer over some others because: 1. The quality and attention to detail 2. The value 3. The lasts 4. The ability to develop and customize to our specifications. This entails developing a wide variety of styles without sticking to one genre such as the long-established traditions found in England or Italy. We are discerning enthusiasts with the opportunity to have our standards implemented in a wide range, with the upmost attention, quality, and devotion from the manufacturer.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have pictures of the suede? A dark brown would be wonderful :inlove:

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These are very good questions. I wanted to insure accuracy in my answers so I was waiting for the owner of the company to get back to me on the more technical questions (he just returned from a trade show). Please find his responses as well as my comments below:

These are fine responses and expected at this price range. The expense has been dedicated to the obviously visible and tangible features (good hides, full sockliner, sole finishing) and not towards where added expense would yield debatable benefit (toe puff, specific oak tanning, etc). Good job.

If the monks had a medallion I would place an order right now, as they are they still look great but I will wait a few months, just bought a few other pairs.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
are shoe trees being included in these orders? or will they be available soon? these look amazing!

DC Lewis

Reaction score
Here are the requested swatches. Numbers 1-10 are full-grain calfs. Numbers 11-14 are nubuck and suedes. I'm sure we will be adding to these leathers as time progresses. The color of the Porter and Clayton are available as well. Antiquing is available at no extra charge (please specify).

Disclaimer- the pictures of the above leathers are for sample color purposes only and are not meant to dictate the quality of leather used for the shoes. These are simply cut-offs of the less desirable parts of the hides so may show dirt or small imperfection.

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so you're no longer accepting pre-orders on the porter?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Lasted or semi-lasted trees are very possible for the future. Please stay tuned.

are you going the cedar direction or might you be interested in beech wood trees?

if the latter, we should talk...

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
very encouraging, speaking of which I am going back to Asia, maybe you guys should open a retail store in Taiwan...

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

no need to be confused.

My question is whether they will continue to accept pre-orders or not.

As was my question, I was also trying to point it out to DC so he can fix it in his post :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads