1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Introducing D.C. Lewis Footwear - Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by DC Lewis, Jun 13, 2011.

Tags:
  1. randallr

randallr Senior member

Bout time the established Sf shoe experts came out withe a shoe line. Bravo!
    Looks are unbelievable and I've no doubt construction will match.

My question is: any plans on bringing development here to the states or to one of the traditional footwear crafting nations?

I, and I'm sure many of u's appreciate the discount passed onto the consumer but I'm sure many of u's would also pay a reasonable premium if cultivated by the hands of craftsmen we've known to love.

Just out of curiosity.

To have a shoe made to that quality in the US would cost more than what they are selling it for. I don't really think there would be any room for profit. I feel bad for all the Asians on this site and how we trash their countries product capabilities. I am sure there are a number of Asian firms that can produce high quality goods...this being one of them. Hell...most Italian workshops are loaded with immigrants from the third world and aren't ever touched by a 100% Italiano!

2. JhwkMac

JhwkMac Senior member

Great looking shoes. Would love to see a model in double monks!

3. DC Lewis

DC Lewis Active Member

My question is: any plans on bringing development here to the states or to one of the traditional footwear crafting nations?

I, and I'm sure many of u's appreciate the discount passed onto the consumer but I'm sure many of u's would also pay a reasonable premium if cultivated by the hands of craftsmen we've known to love.

Just out of curiosity.

Thank you sir! We have no current plans for moving production to the US, England or any other "seasoned" shoe-making countries. That said, we have a lot of ideas for expansion and growth and we certainly will not limit ourselves if the opportunity arises. We understand what stereotypes may come along with these countries of origin but we aim to break those stereotypes. All we ask is that you try us out. For now, all we can offer is our expertise and recommendations along with the positive reviews (all have been positive thus far) of your Style Forum peers. We are confident that once you are able to see and wear these, you will see the amazing quality and value that these represent. If you disagree, feel free to return them. We want for you to be completely satisfied!

Logan and I are both very discerning in our attention to detail, craftsmanship, and overall quality and we we have researched endless ways to insure that. We have chosen the best possible materials and craftsman to bring what we feel is the best valued shoe on the market. I assure you that we have cut no corners to save money as quality is of the utmost importance to us.

4. allaboutshoes

allaboutshoes Senior member

I can finally break my silence! These shoes look amazing and are way below the price of Lobbs, EG or Vass, yet the quality is very much on par. I was hoping for Logan to get me a pair one of these days, but from the pre-production pictures that I got pre-launch they seem amazing. A Harris as well as Spoo have tried these, so im looking out for Spoos review. Hoping to see a Double Monk similar to the Lobb Chapels or St. Crispins. Logan, if you can get back to me I would appreciate it. PM me or email, thanks

5. 1969

1969 Senior member

Very nice. Are shoe trees included at this price or available?

6. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

I wanted to post one quick followup to the above message about country of origin.

David began researching this project a few months before I got involved. When he originally approached me about joining him, I was hesitant based solely on the country of origin. I was primarily nervous about how we would overcome this type of question, even if the quality was up to par.

David sent me an early sample, and I was blown away. The shoes exceeded my expectations not just of Laos/Taiwan manufacturing, but of manufacturing that I hadn't experienced before (not from the traditional cordwainer houses). I have handled almost all high-end brands of shoes, so I thought that I knew everything that was available. I was definitely surprised, and I immediately signed on to this project after receiving one sample. Since that sample, we have worked tirelessly to further increase quality and styling.

1 person likes this.
  7. nutcracker

nutcracker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Just out of curiosity.

Those are the best looking shoes I've seen coming out from my home Taiwan! Woohoo! Love those fiddledwaist!

But yeah, the price seems quite reasonable too. higher end chinese oem made dress shoes with imported (usually French ) calfskin can go for 40,000 JPY ($480) and above in japan.

8. FStyles

FStyles Senior member

To have a shoe made to that quality in the US would cost more than what they are selling it for. I don't really think there would be any room for profit. I feel bad for all the Asians on this site and how we trash their countries product capabilities. I am sure there are a number of Asian firms that can produce high quality goods...this being one of them. Hell...most Italian workshops are loaded with immigrants from the third world and aren't ever touched by a 100% Italiano!

[​IMG] no need to feel bad for 'us.' we're doing alright.

9. Kenneth Cole Haan

Kenneth Cole Haan Senior member

Incredible effort must have gone into this. I can't wait to see more. I would especially like to see pictures of the brogue in Navy (and how light is the tan?). I do wonder though since these prices are within a close distance of C&J benchgrade [though I don't see any navy offerings for C&J at all, and no light tans either], how the "$75 discount, Asian made & new styling" vs. "Northampton-made, traditional-styled" struggle will play out here.

10. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Love the look of these shoes. Very well done to all involved [​IMG]

11. Grenadier

Grenadier Senior member

how the "$75 discount, Asian made & new styling" vs. "Northampton-made, traditional-styled" struggle will play out here.

In a subtly and subconsciously racist manner.

12. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

I'm excited to hear how they fit/wear [​IMG]

Any plans on getting a darker brown?

13. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Excellent first impression. Best wishes in the endeavor.

Holding out for sizing in widths [​IMG]

14. polar-lemon

polar-lemon Senior member

Incredible effort must have gone into this. I can't wait to see more. I would especially like to see pictures of the brogue in Navy (and how light is the tan?). I do wonder though since these prices are within a close distance of C&J benchgrade [though I don't see any navy offerings for C&J at all, and no light tans either], how the "$75 discount, Asian made & new styling" vs. "Northampton-made, traditional-styled" struggle will play out here.

Just looking at the pics of the finishing and construction, these are clearly meant to be at least a couple notches above C&J benchgrade, and even above handgrade with the fiddleback sole. Their intention is to sell a handmade shoe for benchmade price.

15. artoftime

artoftime Senior member

Cheers and best of luck, fellas - looking forward to seeing my order soon [​IMG]

16. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

Are you guys planning on doing all sleek mc type of shoes or street wear type of bluchers as well?

17. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Just wanted to verify that this was indeed my experience, and my complete unedited review.

I will add that I would certainly not let the country of origin keep me from purchasing these shoes. I know for a fact that if these were made in England or Italy, retail would be in the $750-$1500 range for this level of quality, most likely 1K+. They really are an excellent value!

18. LanceW

LanceW Senior member

I need pictures of swatches and the availability of lasted shoe trees. Add a fiddleback waist to the Clayton and a piece of leather to the last to add extra room to the instep. Then charge me a MTO fee and my deposit is ready.

19. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Whats up everyone - First of all, congrats to David and Logan for this new venture. I am always happy to see SF success stories, and this is for sure one of them. I have known David for a few years, and have purchased many shoes from him - as well as commissioned some custom leatherwork. He approached me in the spring with the news of this upcoming line, and I was more than happy to help out. I received my first pair and was floored. Below is my original email to David and Logan upon receiving the shoes :
    *edited only to remove extraneous commentary Now, in regards to the conversation of where the shoes are made, etc. I never once even asked where they were made. Quite frankly, I dont care. The construction of these upon close inspection was enough to make someone, even like me who really cares about that kind of thing - totally forget to ask. David and Logan will tell you, I never asked that question. If they said France, I would have believed them, England? Yep. that too. Italy - sure. The fact that I can get shoes like this, brand new, this comfortable, that look this good and are constructed this well for that price? Laos it is for me guys. Anyhow, if any of you have any questions for me regarding fit or any other issues, please post them here and I'll give updates. Its much easier here than by PM because many more people will benefit from the information. And of course the obligatory disclaimer that I dont have any financial interest in the company and I was not paid to write the review blah blah blah go buy the shoes [​IMG] Anyone for the first DC Lewis pron pic? From last weekend : [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. FStyles

FStyles Senior member

Just wanted to verify that this was indeed my experience, and my complete unedited review. I will add that I would certainly not let the country of origin keep me from purchasing these shoes. I know for a fact that if these were made in England or Italy, retail would be in the $750-$1500 range for this level of quality, most likely 1K+. They really are an excellent value!
    No doubt I will try a pair one of these days. The two gentleman know they're fucking shoes. But since this is a discussion about them, I will chime in in hopes of getting reamed All things equal, if it were up to a $250 difference in price ($429 vs $629 - $680) between Asia or UK made, I'd happily pay the premium. Even At that price, one would be hard pressed to find a pair on par with the big brits unless you stalked B&S. Even cooler would be production stateside ala Panta [​IMG] I'm a self admitted shoe bigot and though my kind may be silent I know we're legion. [​IMG] i have my bets on the duo growing out of taiwan and into a more romantic locale in the not-so-distant future.