• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Halifax

Reaction score
Hi SF,

My name is Dave and I am a full time student near the end of my (extensive) studies and on the hunt for clothing to update my wardrobe. I travel a fair amount and am keen to better understand the international market of men's clothing, as well as develop a style that I carry into my professional life. I value knowledge and hope that the wealth of experience possessed by the numerous members on this forum can assist my education. In addition, I am resistant to making investments of any scale without first developing an appreciation for the product and market.

My clothes are typically off-the-rack sales purchases or what I consider a bargain at the local markets. My experience with tailors only includes shirts adjustments and having trousers hemmed. However, I wish to remedy this shortcoming.

I'm however a fairly experienced scotch taster, and would love to discuss that with you too.

Hi Andreas, Have you been to Scotland? Scotch is something else that I am developing an appreciation for, but I would by no means consider myself experienced.

iampres10

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Im a 28 yr old male interested in street, surf, and skate fashion.

I have been a buyer for 6 years/24 seasons=)

I like clothes and fashion and am very passionate about them!

Aloha!

rjtung

Reaction score
Hi guys,

32 yr old Marine here with a strong interest in style and learning how to dress better. T shirt and jeans used to be my staple, but I've found myself wanting to learn more about how to be a better dresser and trying to absorb as much knowledge as possible. Glad to be a part of the forum.

beedee

Reaction score
Hello,
My name is Bill and I came on to this site while trying to find out more info on how some jeans (Gustin) fit. I'm also a fan of dressing well, so I'm sure I'll get some good info from this forum. Thanks.

Marc395

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My name is Marc and I've come here because of my great interest in fashion. It's great to be in a forum with like-minded who, like me, know that fashion isn't just for girls. Clothes make the man and I believe that dressing well is crucial to how you feel and how others see you.

I just started my first real job and can't really afford the really nice stuff yet. But that doesn't mean I can't start preparing for it already!

Looking forward to sharing thoughts and opinions with you guys in here.

- Marc

TheBeggar

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm starting my first real dress-better job, and while I know dress pants with a shirt and tie can be done very well, I'm also hoping for some variety so that I don't disappear into the shirt and tie masses.

Looking forward to getting schooled in the fits.

AwfullyNiceGuy

Reaction score
Hi Andreas, Have you been to Scotland? Scotch is something else that I am developing an appreciation for, but I would by no means consider myself experienced.
Indeed I did go to Scotland, january this year actually.
I can only recommend going there, people are very friendly and visiting the distilleries does yield some insight to how your whiskies are made, and what's more important to me: the VERY subtle differences between the distilleries' production methods that lead to distinctively different whiskies. Also there are some formidable bars ;-),

Just to clarify, I may have been too bold when dubbing myself experienced, but I have had around 40-50 different bottlings, also some of the rarer and more obscure bottles than your average joe.

Have you been to Scotland Dave?

Last edited:

mstar020

Reaction score

Halifax

Reaction score
Indeed I did go to Scotland, january this year actually.
I can only recommend going there, people are very friendly and visiting the distilleries does yield some insight to how your whiskies are made, and what's more important to me: the VERY subtle differences between the distilleries' production methods that lead to distinctively different whiskies. Also there are some formidable bars ;-),

Just to clarify, I may have been too bold when dubbing myself experienced, but I have had around 40-50 different bottlings, also some of the rarer and more obscure bottles than your average joe.

Have you been to Scotland Dave?

Unfortunately no. I live in the 'colonies' around the other side of the world; not a trip I make frequently. Your experience surpasses mine as I have not visited any distilleries, only breweries. However, I'm in no rush and will let my tastes mature naturally (ie when I have the finances). I've been getting into the Japanese whiskeys lately as they are quite a bit lighter/smoother (forgive me as I don't know whiskey tasting nomenclature) than most of the real deal whiskeys, where you can really taste the barrel. I find Hibiki 17yo is agreealbe even during the height of summer.

AwfullyNiceGuy

Reaction score
Unfortunately no. I live in the 'colonies' around the other side of the world; not a trip I make frequently. Your experience surpasses mine as I have not visited any distilleries, only breweries. However, I'm in no rush and will let my tastes mature naturally (ie when I have the finances). I've been getting into the Japanese whiskeys lately as they are quite a bit lighter/smoother (forgive me as I don't know whiskey tasting nomenclature) than most of the real deal whiskeys, where you can really taste the barrel. I find Hibiki 17yo is agreealbe even during the height of summer.
I am no biggie on nomenclature either, everything is on an amateur basis. I haven't ventured much in Japanese whisky yet, but I sure would like to. I picked up only scotch because I too do not have unlimited funds, and I thought that getting a good grasp scotch might be easier than taking on all of the worlds whiskies at once. I did however try Nikka From The Barrel, which I thought was quite a stunner for the money, from the reviews I have been reading, generally japanese whisky is about attention to detail and artisan craft. Much like how they go about near anything, be it blades(not thinking ninja now, Straight Razors and kitchenware), calligraphy or bonsai. Which I think is rather fascinating
cool.gif

gausspoincare

Reaction score
Hey folks,

A math nerd that tries to learn from here. I enjoy fashion, arts and music a lot beside my geeky pursuit. I finally joined the forum officially after learning from it for 3 years. I like harmonizing conflicting/paradoxical elements, like spicing up the french elegance by rock and roll stuffs.

Clothing wise, I was inspired by Hedi Slimane a lot, then Tom Ford, Oliver Rousteing and the old Yves Saint Laurent. Also like John Galliano, Gareth Pugh, Thom Browne and Phillip Lim. I like DSquared's Jeans too. For shoes, Vass, Lobb, G&G, Santoni and Carmina appeal to me. Corthay, Max Verre and Sutor look very nice too. I think other Italian/French brands are also quite interesting, but I know too little about them. Lastly I like Charvet, Hermes and Brioni for ties.

That said... I'm mostly window shopping, I ve got very few of the above :( They mostly serve as inspiration :)

Look forward to the vast knowledge here and maybe some second hand nice stuffs!

sartorialbadass

Reaction score
Hi I'm V aka SartorialBadass

42 years old chap living in Jakarta and Bali, Indonesia. I am a road warrior and love spending my free time riding my folding bike while capturing pictures on the road with my iPhone.

My sartorial orientation is rugged, elegant and a bit eccentric.

andrel42

Reaction score
Hello everyone, been lurking for some time ... living in Geneva, Switzerland and particularly addicted to shoes. Travel quite a bit for work and regular customer of several shoe shops and manufacturers such as Leffot, Skoaktiebolaget, Meermin, Edetal and of course Brogue in Geneva. Finally decided to become a member although I am afraid of all the shoe-Appreciation being posted here! Thanks for having me
Andre

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads