• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

just_one_more

Reaction score
My personal choice would be a super fine light weight wool suit.Very comfortable & far less wrinkles. A seersucker suit is fine, if you like that look, or my lesser preference would be a wool/cotton blend suit.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll definitely consider light weight wool now.

meatsweatsandsuits

Reaction score
Hey fellas - I'm John from NYC. Love chatting about history, influence, style, culture, food and how it all mixes with clothing both here in the city and across the universe.

Yearslong lurker of trunk shows + MTM suits - maybe one day I'll try one

Orris

Reaction score
Hi, Orris from Buffalo, Ny currently living in NOVA. I have been struggling with weight my whole life and I'm at a near 500 pounds. Currently been on a diet and losing weight. I have a personal trainer now too. My life is pretty tragic but I'm doing things to get better. I was not comfortable buying clothes because of my weight. Created google sheets on things I need to do to fix my life. I hope I can be a part of this great community for a long time.

Enfusia

Reaction score
Im Carlos and new to classical menswear. Within the last year my work has taken me much more client facing with a good bit more travel. I began with hopes of a capsule wardrobe of quality items and it has progressed from there. As such I have begun to delve into knowledge on traditional style and how to properly wear it. Im in my late 30’s and did not grow up with knowledge on the subject so I am late to the game. Luckily I married into a family with more means and classical style so I am learning. I have a several off the rack suits and sport coats that I use. I lean to the quite thrifty side for deals and even second hands and I upgrade my wardrobe. Looking to develop further so I'm open to all advice or thread recommendations that can help.
Thanks
Hi Carlos,
If you're into discovering how to find a real bargain while thrifting then check out The Gentleman's Gazette on YouTube.
They have entire playlists on how to spot the real deal while bargain shopping.

I think they may be of great help.
Plus, they have videos on many other subjects you need to know.

Have a great day and welcome,

Patrick

Enfusia

Reaction score
Hey fellas - I'm John from NYC. Love chatting about history, influence, style, culture, food and how it all mixes with clothing both here in the city and across the universe.

Yearslong lurker of trunk shows + MTM suits - maybe one day I'll try one
Hi John,
Welcome. I'm sure you'll fit right in here as many of us, myself included were long time lurkers of the forum or shows or both.

Don't be afraid to ask, the people here are quite helpful.

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, Orris from Buffalo, Ny currently living in NOVA. I have been struggling with weight my whole life and I'm at a near 500 pounds. Currently been on a diet and losing weight. I have a personal trainer now too. My life is pretty tragic but I'm doing things to get better. I was not comfortable buying clothes because of my weight. Created google sheets on things I need to do to fix my life. I hope I can be a part of this great community for a long time.
Hi Orris, it sounds to me like you’re on the right track & a path of renewal. As it is said clothes do not make the man. A sense of personal style can be cultivated over time by way of learning & experiences. A sense of self value is imo the most valuable asset in the world. Kudos to you. Welcome to the forum!

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Carlos,
If you're into discovering how to find a real bargain while thrifting then check out The Gentleman's Gazette on YouTube.
They have entire playlists on how to spot the real deal while bargain shopping.

I think they may be of great help.
Plus, they have videos on many other subjects you need to know.

Have a great day and welcome,

Patrick

Thanks they certainly have pushed me down the path.

AyyDee

Reaction score
Greetings, aficionados and connoisseurs alike. I am grateful to have been introduced to this community. I aim to observe and learn from the wealth of knowledge you all have made available. Thank you for allowing a neophyte like me amongst your ranks.

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Greetings, aficionados and connoisseurs alike. I am grateful to have been introduced to this community. I aim to observe and learn from the wealth of knowledge you all have made available. Thank you for allowing a neophyte like me amongst your ranks.
Hi there, as it is said ‘all journeys begin with a single step’. No shame in being a beginner. Begin slowly , build your wardrobe progressively. Most importantly be patient. As you’ve correctly stated, there is a wealth of knowledge & information available to you here. You’ll find that most of us here are happy to answer questions & to assist one another. Welcome!

abucz

Reaction score
Matthew here. Such a long-time lurker that I had to create a new account for a total inability to locate the details of my first one — it had to have been over a decade since I first discovered this place.

Ph.D student, working to dress better. I have been enjoying everything from Universal Works, Norse Projects, and Pringle to Barena, Loro Piana, and Cucinelli. Working to revamp my collection of shirts and explore quality men’s footwear. I’ll have more to say — perhaps elsewhere — at a more reasonable hour. See you all around.

anachronistaddict

Reaction score
Hi Matthew- I'm a PhD student too! It's driving me crazy. But I do love clothes, and shoes, and fragrances, and gear for the motorcycle and vespa outings, and fountain pens, inks, and paper. These either keep me happy, or distracted and insane, take your pick. I'm working to learn precisely what I like in garments, to strip some of the mystery of why I fall in love with one shirt, and quickly forget another, and to build a collection of handmade pieces that reflect a pretty conservative and stodgy aesthetic.

anachronistaddict

Reaction score
So yes, that's me- I'm in Austin, Texas. I actually came on here to find out what's the tannage of the plain, veg-tanned-looking leather case my Jacques Marie Mage Dealans came with. Is it Minerva? Anyway, I'm the kind of person who wonders about these things, so it looks like I've belonged on here all along.

Yeah, I love denim, leather, wool, cotton, linen, tweed, alpaca, silk... I'm learning what brands and designers, kinds of cuts I like, as I've recently begun actually spending money on clothes instead of just getting by. I've always gravitated toward the heritage and away from the trendy, and I've always loved the nicer stuff, but don't want to spend 100% of my money on clothes and shoes. So I'm more Harris Tweed, less Balenciaga, more Cheaney shoes, less Nike sneaks, you get the idea.

So if anyone knows what leather the plain veg tan leather case (the fold over one with magnetic closure) the JMM Dealans com with, let me know!

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Matthew here. Such a long-time lurker that I had to create a new account for a total inability to locate the details of my first one — it had to have been over a decade since I first discovered this place.

Ph.D student, working to dress better. I have been enjoying everything from Universal Works, Norse Projects, and Pringle to Barena, Loro Piana, and Cucinelli. Working to revamp my collection of shirts and explore quality men’s footwear. I’ll have more to say — perhaps elsewhere — at a more reasonable hour. See you all around.
Matthew, welcome to the forum!

Dennir4u

Reaction score
Hello. I’m Dennis. I’m not what you might call a fashioned forward person but I do enjoy classic style. My interests include leather boots, vintage workwear, and hats. I’m from the southern US so western style boots are naturally a common item in my closet. Thanks for having me aboard!

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello. I’m Dennis. I’m not what you might call a fashioned forward person but I do enjoy classic style. My interests include leather boots, vintage workwear, and hats. I’m from the southern US so western style boots are naturally a common item in my closet. Thanks for having me aboard!
Hello Dennis, welcome aboard!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads