• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MrRipleysTie

Reaction score
Good morning gentleman and ladies from chilly Scotland.
Looking forward to rummaging through the forum for hints and tips.

Reaction score
Hello! I've been lurking for a little while now and decided it was time to commit. I'm in my mid-20s and was the kid who wore a seersucker suit and tie to high school on occasion, so have long been interested/intrigued by tailoring and clothing. Anyway those interests took a back seat during college and first years of a job, but during pandemic-induced downtime I got sucked into watches by another forum I won't name. I'm soon moving from New York to a much warmer climate to start grad school, and will need to adapt my wardrobe accordingly, so that's the excuse for joining. I look forward to learning more from y'all!

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello! I've been lurking for a little while now and decided it was time to commit. I'm in my mid-20s and was the kid who wore a seersucker suit and tie to high school on occasion, so have long been interested/intrigued by tailoring and clothing. Anyway those interests took a back seat during college and first years of a job, but during pandemic-induced downtime I got sucked into watches by another forum I won't name. I'm soon moving from New York to a much warmer climate to start grad school, and will need to adapt my wardrobe accordingly, so that's the excuse for joining. I look forward to learning more from y'all!
Hello mid-20's seersucker lurker, moving from NY to where? What warmer climate questions do you have? Welcome!

Reaction score
Hello mid-20's seersucker lurker, moving from NY to where? What warmer climate questions do you have? Welcome!

Still getting final confirmation on what school and therefore location, but likely Texas or SoCal. (I'm originally from NorCal so familiar with Mediterranean climate but not quite so warm). I'm particularly looking to buy 1-2 pairs of lightweight pants this summer and am curious about experience with linen vs. cotton/linen blend trousers; better durability on the blend perhaps? (I've had bad luck with linen wearing out quickly before).

Anyway, there's probably a thread where this is already discussed, but thanks for having me!

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still getting final confirmation on what school and therefore location, but likely Texas or SoCal. (I'm originally from NorCal so familiar with Mediterranean climate but not quite so warm). I'm particularly looking to buy 1-2 pairs of lightweight pants this summer and am curious about experience with linen vs. cotton/linen blend trousers; better durability on the blend perhaps? (I've had bad luck with linen wearing out quickly before).

Anyway, there's probably a thread where this is already discussed, but thanks for having me!
Well, I too originate from NYC, currently living in SoCal. Let me know if you decide to move here. Many suggestions as to retailers and otherwise.

Reaction score
New member here, been lurking for a while though. I normally hang out on the watch collecting forums since that is my main hobby but I recently got into buying leather briefcases, sunglasses and other neat things I come across at thrift shops and auctions. I really like the stuff people post on this forum though compared to others I've been on

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New member here, been lurking for a while though. I normally hang out on the watch collecting forums since that is my main hobby but I recently got into buying leather briefcases, sunglasses and other neat things I come across at thrift shops and auctions. I really like the stuff people post on this forum though compared to others I've been on
Welcome!

hiimneato

Reaction score
I've browsed through a few sections here for tips before, but never really figured I had any reason to introduce myself. And yet, here I am! Hi.

I think it's great how many different interests are represented here. I really deeply understand how it is to care about the details of something in a way almost no one else understands, which is why I don't feel bad about not knowing or caring much about most of the sections here. We all have our stuff, and I know what I'm here for: boots, heritage workwear, and maybe once in a while tips for if I actually have to clean myself up and go someplace nice.

I'm an electrician. I spend most of my time in work clothes and while I like to buy nice stuff, it's gonna get thrashed. Really nice workwear is my style but there's no way I'm taking my perfectly worn-in tin cloth to a rail jobsite where they're gonna get creosote tar on one leg and fiberglass in the other in the same week. I also can't afford to do much fashion, so I gotta make it count.

Anyhow I ended up here because I went down the r/goodyearwelt rabbit hole looking for boots that would actually fit my feet and last a while, and accidentally developed a crippling quality footwear addiction. Whoops. You get it. Seeing custom makeups that folks put together, being able to compare makes and how they wear... it's pretty cool.

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've browsed through a few sections here for tips before, but never really figured I had any reason to introduce myself. And yet, here I am! Hi.

I think it's great how many different interests are represented here. I really deeply understand how it is to care about the details of something in a way almost no one else understands, which is why I don't feel bad about not knowing or caring much about most of the sections here. We all have our stuff, and I know what I'm here for: boots, heritage workwear, and maybe once in a while tips for if I actually have to clean myself up and go someplace nice.

I'm an electrician. I spend most of my time in work clothes and while I like to buy nice stuff, it's gonna get thrashed. Really nice workwear is my style but there's no way I'm taking my perfectly worn-in tin cloth to a rail jobsite where they're gonna get creosote tar on one leg and fiberglass in the other in the same week. I also can't afford to do much fashion, so I gotta make it count.

Anyhow I ended up here because I went down the r/goodyearwelt rabbit hole looking for boots that would actually fit my feet and last a while, and accidentally developed a crippling quality footwear addiction. Whoops. You get it. Seeing custom makeups that folks put together, being able to compare makes and how they wear... it's pretty cool.
Boots that fit, welts that last, and cleaning tips. Well, you've come to the right forum. Welcome aboard!

SirThopas

Reaction score
Hi, I’m Christian and I’m new here. Big shoe lover; my latest order is my first pair from TLB, and I’m going to be very interested to see how they stand up against the brands I most often buy, such as Crockett & Jones. Pretty excited by that elegant waisting!

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, I’m Christian and I’m new here. Big shoe lover; my latest order is my first pair from TLB, and I’m going to be very interested to see how they stand up against the brands I most often buy, such as Crockett & Jones. Pretty excited by that elegant waisting!
Hello Christian, welcome to the forum!

kablerium

Reaction score
New member/longtime lurker here. I recently moved from Florida to the DC area, so the wardrobe needs a bit of an overhaul. I'm also interested in putting together a minimal capsule wardrobe of well-made clothing & boots that can survive long stints on the road. Recommendations for a good tailor around DC would be appreciated!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics