• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like to kep it Scottish if I can, Barrie Johnston's. Pringle, Ballantyne. It's getting more difficult now to get really good quality cashmere. I have been lucky and managed to factory tours on most. For scarves I don't think anythwhere beats Beggs. I try and stick to factory shops for bargains/basics and find ebay a good place for vintage finds.
Thanks. I'm not familiar with some of these. I'm wiith you, factory shops & bargain basics are not a bad way to go.

mycorhizo

Reaction score
mycorhizo here ~~

as the name implies, i like mushrooms. a lot!

i'm also a 22 year old neuroscience student (studying neuropharmacology). i'm very broke, but keep a minimal wardrobe and am looking to take the next step and build out my understanding of fashion & design, so that i can dress better/higher-quality and express myself in new ways.

i used to be pretty into fashion, but don't remember much of what i learned. i was in college then and didn't have the money for anything! now, i am really only looking to thrift super cheap stuff, and buy high-quality clothing that i can keep with me for many years. i've also started exploring my gender recently, and am looking to find ways of making myself feel more comfortable in my body & expression. i don't necessarily want to dress super femme, but not masculine either.

some of my favorite things are heeled boots, androgynous skirts, and aesthetics like ann d, julius, kapital, and yohji yamamoto.

excited to be here and to learn more :)

Sshipwrecked

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm already happy i joined, I am 36 and I live in the Caribbean.

I am finally starting to pay more attention to style and trying my best to buy quality over quantity.

I like learning new things so I'm excited to learn more about creating my own personal style.

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm already happy i joined, I am 36 and I live in the Caribbean.

I am finally starting to pay more attention to style and trying my best to buy quality over quantity.

I like learning new things so I'm excited to learn more about creating my own personal style.
Hey there, happy to have you aboard, welcome!

FunkCat

Reaction score
Hello all! FunkCat here. I've been trying to pay more attention to my style for the last year or two. Mostly street wear and things you'd wear to go out to the bar or dancing. Recently I've started on a weight loss regimen that I have every intention of seeing through. Assuming I do (I will!) I'll be going down at least a size in jackets, shirts, and pants, so this seemed like a good time to join and get advice to update my wardrobe. I'm including a pic of the first Allen Edmonds I ever saw which I purchased at a thrift store a few years ago which is what started me on this journey, though before that I think I had a pretty good eye for color matching and such, but these are the first articles of clothing that I felt really taught me what quality is all about. I rock these when I go out dancing.

IMG_2031 (1).jpg

FunkCat

Reaction score
Also, right now I'm primarily purchasing shoes and boots, since losing weight won't matter much except maybe losing a half-size in width (I'm currently between a D and an E, about half of D or M shoes fit me just fine, the rest are too tight). So I'll be building my wardrobe from the bottom up, rather than the top down.

FunkCat

Reaction score
Oh, and one more thing. If anyone can identify the AE chukkas in the pic I'd love to find them in a D or E at some point. The ones I have are EEE, I just wear thick socks with them.

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are indeed a Funk(y) Cat if you can dance with those chukka's on!

FunkCat

Reaction score
You are indeed a Funk(y) Cat if you can dance with those chukka's on!
Hell, I could dance with combat boots on. But yes, you're right, they aren't ideal. Which is why I'm slowly building a collection of shoes and boots for different occasions. But women always love those shoes so it's always tempting to throw them on if I'm going somewhere where there's an abundance of them.

FunkCat

Reaction score
I decided to play this pandemic like a smart inmate plays prison by getting an education. Instead of letting it get me down, I want to come out the other end of it feeling great and looking great. I'm down about 15 pounds in the last couple months (that's a little under 7kg for those of you who live somewhere where measurements make sense). Once I get to my target weight I'll replace my entire wardrobe. And since shoes tie everything together I'll spend the next few months acquiring a variety.

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I decided to play this pandemic like a smart inmate plays prison by getting an education. Instead of letting it get me down, I want to come out the other end of it feeling great and looking great. I'm down about 15 pounds in the last couple months (that's a little under 7kg for those of you who live somewhere where measurements make sense). Once I get to my target weight I'll replace my entire wardrobe. And since shoes tie everything together I'll spend the next few months acquiring a variety.
That's excellent. I too have rearranged my schedule for fittness during these covid times.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads