• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All-

Long time lurker but finally decided to join today since I needed some info and want to be part of the conversation going forward. I was born and spent most of my life in NYC. I work in technology but within a few industries over the years (advertising, new media, k-12 education, and high-ed).

In my younger days I wore mostly suits due to the era (90s) and mostly had corporate jobs. Over the years it has been business casual as work environments have relaxed. Some jobs require a tie but no jacket (A look I do not like), others no tie or jacket, and now some jacket but no tie; I can't always keep up. It's probably because I am doing more consulting now so I am in and out of different environments.

Anyway, I always thought I was a smart dresser (i.e. brooks brothers, alden, ralph lauren) but the past few years I have gotten lazy and my wife says I need to stop dressing like a teenage boy. As such, I have a renewed interest in shoes and clothes and why I finally decided to stop lurking and join the conversation.
Hello there, I too helm from the boroughs of NYC. ' I always thought I was a smart dresser (i.e. brooks brothers, alden, ralph lauren)', sounds like a good start to me. You need lurk no longer, welcome!

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, my name is Leo.

I currently live on Columbus, Ohio.
I am brand new to posting on this forum. I have casually looked around several times before.

I am interested in dress shoes as well as heels. I also would like for you to check out my Instagram as well. My wardrobe consists of graphic tees, colors, a growing shoe collection, patterns, semi-active wear, etc. I also like to wear anything between business casual and non binary.

I mostly wear plus size clothes on some sort of budget as I have hard times fitting in plain business attire.

Please shoot me a message if you would like.

日本語も対応できます。 View attachment 1478575
Hi Leo, welcome to the forum!

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m always available for Hookup.

I will make your fantasies come to life

AND PLEASE REPLY WITH YOUR LOCATION AND WHAT YOU WANT, THANK YOU

Hi Jeny, you're available for a 'hookup'. That's terrific! Are you aware that this is a style forum? Not sure what kind of forum you had in mind? Just saying.

Reaction score
I just wanted to make a knife sheath - yet here we are... no, no kidding. That's how my leatherwork career started off :)
Now doing a lot of customized leather work, ( no I don't wear only leather ^^ ) - and testing out new methods of i.e. coloration etc.

well, guess that's it for the moment....

Empathetic Fred

Reaction score
Oh, hi, I didn't see you there! I'm Fred and I live in Los Angeles. I love a good jacket!
I've spent $100 on socks before, but it was at Costco and they were 12-packs.

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, hi, I didn't see you there! I'm Fred and I live in Los Angeles. I love a good jacket!
I've spent $100 on socks before, but it was at Costco and they were 12-packs.
Hello Empathic Fred, I too reside in the 'city of the angeles'. Have you any questions re sartorial quests in SoCal or other? Welcome!

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to make a knife sheath - yet here we are... no, no kidding. That's how my leatherwork career started off :)
Now doing a lot of customized leather work, ( no I don't wear only leather ^^ ) - and testing out new methods of i.e. coloration etc.

well, guess that's it for the moment....
Greetings, nice to see that there's a brother who's 'into' leather out there. Sorry, but I couldn't resist;) Have you a website?
Welcome!

Rob H

Reaction score
Thank you for accepting me to the forum. I'm from Yorkshire in England and live fairly close to where many of the finest suit fabrics are woven. I was first introduced to the world of bespoke suits at the age of 16 back in the 1980s when I had one made to wear for a wedding. I'm still a customer at the same tailor even though unfortunately the founder passed away a few years ago.

I found this forum a while ago but joined recently to contribute, sometimes there have been unanswered questions to which I've known the answer.

I've recently been updating my wardrobe with some classics, Burberry make their heritage coats in a town nearby to where I live. I replaced my a 25 year old trench coat with their Westminster model recently. Amusingly my mum tells a story that in the 1960s some of girls she went to school with went to work at that factory when they were older and were sewing the coats together. During this era of the swinging sixties a number of these local young women suddenly appeared on Friday nights in dancehalls wearing perfectly fitting bespoke dresses and skirts looking suspiciously like they were made of a very familiar fabric!

Soppiantare

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been lurking these forums for several years but I think it's time now to contribute to the conversation. I'm a relatively recent college grad living in NW DC and currently doing consulting work for the government. Like many clothing-conscious guys, I went through a Fast Fashion phase in college, but I'm currently filling out my wardrobe with vintage and high-quality modern pieces, so I look forward to discussing good style here.

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
I suppose After browsing the forums for a while I decided to actually join. I'm a rather smug, cynical, wordy man in my early 40s, who try to fill the void in my soul by buying lots of expensive toys. After getting all the cameras I wanted I drifted into higher end menswear. I fund all my luxuries by not having children, as well as being a corporate pirate.

I've done some fashion photography, which got me thinking about how much the outfit changed how a picture turned out, and in turn asking myself what story my own outfits was telling. I grew up treating clothes like something you use to cover your body (if you find something cheap in your size, buy several), so I had no real experience in thinking about clothing as a form of self expression. I started off wearing off-the-rack suits of brands like Zegna and Canali, knowing very little of the classic suit fitting, and thinking the sprayed on Tom Ford suits was the ideal. I have a few very nice, but not great fitting, suits from that era - my tailor did the best possible work to salvage them, but I realize I will eventually have to get rid of them for lack of use. I got into bespoke tailoring a year ago (celebrating my first bespoke order in a couple of weeks), and after that things just.... got out of hand. Currently awaiting my fifth bespoke jacket.

I'm lucky enough to have some friends in the tailoring industry, so I've managed not to go too far astray with my style game (or so I think), but as I'm also a customer to them, they have incentives not to be too brutally honest. So I figure this could be a good place to get some advice on how to hone my style game, pick up some new inspiration, and just nerd out on classic menswear even more than I have before.

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose After browsing the forums for a while I decided to actually join. I'm a rather smug, cynical, wordy man in my early 40s, who try to fill the void in my soul by buying lots of expensive toys. After getting all the cameras I wanted I drifted into higher end menswear. I fund all my luxuries by not having children, as well as being a corporate pirate.

I've done some fashion photography, which got me thinking about how much the outfit changed how a picture turned out, and in turn asking myself what story my own outfits was telling. I grew up treating clothes like something you use to cover your body (if you find something cheap in your size, buy several), so I had no real experience in thinking about clothing as a form of self expression. I started off wearing off-the-rack suits of brands like Zegna and Canali, knowing very little of the classic suit fitting, and thinking the sprayed on Tom Ford suits was the ideal. I have a few very nice, but not great fitting, suits from that era - my tailor did the best possible work to salvage them, but I realize I will eventually have to get rid of them for lack of use. I got into bespoke tailoring a year ago (celebrating my first bespoke order in a couple of weeks), and after that things just.... got out of hand. Currently awaiting my fifth bespoke jacket.

I'm lucky enough to have some friends in the tailoring industry, so I've managed not to go too far astray with my style game (or so I think), but as I'm also a customer to them, they have incentives not to be too brutally honest. So I figure this could be a good place to get some advice on how to hone my style game, pick up some new inspiration, and just nerd out on classic menswear even more than I have before.
Hey there, yours is an honest admission for which I commend you. However, I would urge you to reconsider your sartorial experience and adventure as a journey. There are no fixed rules. It's beneficial to learn the basics, the classics and then adapt, go from there. Although Tom Ford does generally produce high quality pieces, my suggestion is to not confuse high price tags to that which is appropriate to yourself and for long lasting value. Eventually you will find your unique individual style. Should you have questions, I'm happy to assist. Welcome!

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been lurking these forums for several years but I think it's time now to contribute to the conversation. I'm a relatively recent college grad living in NW DC and currently doing consulting work for the government. Like many clothing-conscious guys, I went through a Fast Fashion phase in college, but I'm currently filling out my wardrobe with vintage and high-quality modern pieces, so I look forward to discussing good style here.
Hello there, have you any questions regarding the eternal mashup between vintage and modern? Welcome!

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for accepting me to the forum. I'm from Yorkshire in England and live fairly close to where many of the finest suit fabrics are woven. I was first introduced to the world of bespoke suits at the age of 16 back in the 1980s when I had one made to wear for a wedding. I'm still a customer at the same tailor even though unfortunately the founder passed away a few years ago.

I found this forum a while ago but joined recently to contribute, sometimes there have been unanswered questions to which I've known the answer.

I've recently been updating my wardrobe with some classics, Burberry make their heritage coats in a town nearby to where I live. I replaced my a 25 year old trench coat with their Westminster model recently. Amusingly my mum tells a story that in the 1960s some of girls she went to school with went to work at that factory when they were older and were sewing the coats together. During this era of the swinging sixties a number of these local young women suddenly appeared on Friday nights in dancehalls wearing perfectly fitting bespoke dresses and skirts looking suspiciously like they were made of a very familiar fabric!
The welcoming committee wishes to advise you that your initiation hazing will begin promptly, lol! Your mum's story is fun and interesting. Perhaps you'll be able to recommend to Burberry to recreate those skirts from the sexy swingin' sixties dance halls of yesteryear. Welcome to the forum!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads