• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the warming welcoming.

Mainly how to learn to do layering while playing with textures/patterns. In Italy we mainly enjoy of beautiful fabrics and cuts, now I guess that it will be the time to became more pragmatic in sake of usability.
This will require you to think outside of the box. Meaning thinking ourtside of a predominantly warm weather Mediterranean mindset. Some creative thinking on your part will be necessary in order for you to recalibrate. However, you do not need to sacrifice beautiful fabrics and cuts in order to achieve usability. These concepts, fabrics and cuts and/or usability aren't mutually exclusive. Brother, you can have your cake and eat it too! Do you have any specific questions regarding warmer weather fabrics, patterns, etc. or photos of what you have in mind to revamp your wardrobe? I'm happy to assist. Let's go from there.

Reactions: AVG

AVG

Reaction score
Thank you, @Sinyo18. I would't like to monopolize much this thread. What I meant is that now I will have to get adapted myself to "coarser" fabrics (heavier, less soft, more durable) in other words, english mills.

My new aim is to learn how to play with various patterns/textures in a coherent way. To do layering effectively rather than using few pieces of thick fabrics. Here you can find an example of what I mean (photo credit: gonta_0405).

Captura de pantalla 2020-09-27 a las 11.10.45.png

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, you'll have to incorporate heavier materials. If the photo that you've posted is an indication of what you aspire to in your pursuit, then I believe that you're on the right track. Best wishes!

Reactions: AVG

Langoliers

Reaction score
Hello, I am the Langoliers & I live in California. I like Geoffrey B Small, thrifting, video games, and clothes. I hope to have meaningful interactions with people in this forum.

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am the Langoliers & I live in California. I like Geoffrey B Small, thrifting, video games, and clothes. I hope to have meaningful interactions with people in this forum.
Hello Langoliers, welcome aboard!

holan

Reaction score
Heyo, my name's Holan, I live in NE Ohio. Interested in denim, boots, American Workwear, football, tequila, video games, pens, and knives. Excited to get talking with people!

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heyo, my name's Holan, I live in NE Ohio. Interested in denim, boots, American Workwear, football, tequila, video games, pens, and knives. Excited to get talking with people!
Welcome to the forum!

MargauxAus

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm Marga. I'm interested in new trends in fashion, and I'm glad that I joined this forum. Nice to meet you all :)

glennau

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

My name is Glenn Au and I am an 8 year vet of the men's clothing industry and a new business owner! I wanted to hop on and let everyone know about my new men's clothing resource in Philadelphia, PA, Junior's, after a suggestion from a SF member. So, if I can help anyone in the greater Philly area or answer any questions about my web shop, what I do or about my own personal style, I'd be happy to.

Cheers!

RedFlagger

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My name's George and I live in London in the UK- I've got a big interest in vintage fashion and I'm really looking forward to getting know the people here!

Rusty1960

Reaction score
LA Guy suggested I introduce myself. I am a 60 year old who is rediscovering the art of fine dressing after a 30 gap. In my early days I was blessed to discover the Countess Marra and Church English shoe outlets in CT and NY, ties were $2.00 to $10.00 and the Cap toe oxfords were $185. I had a nice closet to go with my Hickey Freeman suits. HF in late 80’s early 90’s had an event outside Boston to raise $. They rented a factory building with more suits than you could imagine. There were at least 200 suits in 46xl. I cleaned up, Then for some reason dressing up wasn’t important anymore. In 2014 I gave a friend of my daughters ten pair of church’s including the tux shoes they no longer make. He slowly got me in to dressing again, doubt I will buy John Lobbs anytime soon, he is proud of his pair. I am back to HSM snd HF suits snd been building up shoe collection with Toscana and others. My first pair of Voss are in transit. My days of dressing Crackhead homeless are over. My daughters description

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

My name is Glenn Au and I am an 8 year vet of the men's clothing industry and a new business owner! I wanted to hop on and let everyone know about my new men's clothing resource in Philadelphia, PA, Junior's, after a suggestion from a SF member. So, if I can help anyone in the greater Philly area or answer any questions about my web shop, what I do or about my own personal style, I'd be happy to.

Cheers!
Welcome!

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LA Guy suggested I introduce myself. I am a 60 year old who is rediscovering the art of fine dressing after a 30 gap. In my early days I was blessed to discover the Countess Marra and Church English shoe outlets in CT and NY, ties were $2.00 to $10.00 and the Cap toe oxfords were $185. I had a nice closet to go with my Hickey Freeman suits. HF in late 80’s early 90’s had an event outside Boston to raise $. They rented a factory building with more suits than you could imagine. There were at least 200 suits in 46xl. I cleaned up, Then for some reason dressing up wasn’t important anymore. In 2014 I gave a friend of my daughters ten pair of church’s including the tux shoes they no longer make. He slowly got me in to dressing again, doubt I will buy John Lobbs anytime soon, he is proud of his pair. I am back to HSM snd HF suits snd been building up shoe collection with Toscana and others. My first pair of Voss are in transit. My days of dressing Crackhead homeless are over. My daughters description
We welcome your return to sartorial splendor!

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My name's George and I live in London in the UK- I've got a big interest in vintage fashion and I'm really looking forward to getting know the people here!
We look forward to knowing you as well. Wecome!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads