• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jdhoop

Reaction score
Hey there,

My name's Jonathan. I'm a graphic designer and writer and I'm happy to finally join Styleforum. I've been somewhat interested in menswear ever since a friend gave me Flusser's Dressing the Man in high school, but for the past two years or so I had been saving money and not buying any clothes. I just recently began re-vamping my wardrobe and really enjoying dressing well. Feeling "put together" in public has helped me overcome a lot of social anxiety/awkwardness and boost my confidence level.

I love Spier and Mackay and have been buying almost exclusively from them. I love the classic style, and the quality-level seems to be a great value for the price. Their jackets and shirts off-the-rack fit me better than most of my older MTM items. I was thrilled to discover that I can wear their 36 Contemporary Fit jackets with no alterations needed!

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to learning a lot more here on the forum.

Regards,
Jonathan

IMG_4878 copy.jpg
IMG_4613.jpg

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello, I hope that Singapore hasn't been hit too hard by this virus. Give my regards to Orchard Road, welcome to the forum!

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey there,

My name's Jonathan. I'm a graphic designer and writer and I'm happy to finally join Styleforum. I've been somewhat interested in menswear ever since a friend gave me Flusser's Dressing the Man in high school, but for the past two years or so I had been saving money and not buying any clothes. I just recently began re-vamping my wardrobe and really enjoying dressing well. Feeling "put together" in public has helped me overcome a lot of social anxiety/awkwardness and boost my confidence level.

I love Spier and Mackay and have been buying almost exclusively from them. I love the classic style, and the quality-level seems to be a great value for the price. Their jackets and shirts off-the-rack fit me better than most of my older MTM items. I was thrilled to discover that I can wear their 36 Contemporary Fit jackets with no alterations needed!

Regards,
Jonathan

View attachment 1361139 View attachment 1361149
Hi Jonathan, Flusser's books are worthy if not necessary in any sartorially minded aficionado's library. Welcome aboard!

Hellanormcore

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm Ken, a 30 y/o guy from Sydney, Australia. Long time lurker but was more active in another large fashion forum (which is basically dead now except a few threads). Always knew about styleforum but had the impression it was geared very much towards formal wear/classics.Now that I've hit my 30s that's probably not such a bad thing anymore. After the death of many forums I found I don't get the same experience on the newer platforms and kinda miss the community aspect of it. Not to mention the encyclopedic knowledge some people have on garments and brand history. So here we are.

Clothing wise, I went from the raw denim obsession around early 2010s to avant garde for a few months, a bit of street wear, and in the past years came back full circle to what people refer as "normcore". I work as a full time lab slave (PhD student) and in allied health. This means I can dress more casually most days mixed with "professional" attire from time to time. As for brands, I just like fun and interesting things, and I'll leave it at that. Looking forward to learning new things and contributing whenever I can :)

mabbitt

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm Ken, a 30 y/o guy from Sydney, Australia. Long time lurker but was more active in another large fashion forum (which is basically dead now except a few threads). Always knew about styleforum but had the impression it was geared very much towards formal wear/classics.Now that I've hit my 30s that's probably not such a bad thing anymore. After the death of many forums I found I don't get the same experience on the newer platforms and kinda miss the community aspect of it. Not to mention the encyclopedic knowledge some people have on garments and brand history. So here we are.

Clothing wise, I went from the raw denim obsession around early 2010s to avant garde for a few months, a bit of street wear, and in the past years came back full circle to what people refer as "normcore". I work as a full time lab slave (PhD student) and in allied health. This means I can dress more casually most days mixed with "professional" attire from time to time. As for brands, I just like fun and interesting things, and I'll leave it at that. Looking forward to learning new things and contributing whenever I can :)

hello fellow sydneysiders.
though i no longer live in sydney, how is it going there?

Hellanormcore

Reaction score
Hi Ken, how's it going in Sydney? Welcome to the forum!
hello fellow sydneysiders.
though i no longer live in sydney, how is it going there?

Weird is the best way to describe it right now. We're not on full lock down as other countries or towns but it does look like its heading that way. The restrictions we have in place themselves are quite odd to say the least, so it's been a mix of "she'll be alright" attitude and slow build up of anxiety.

Other than the looming dread in the back of everyone's mind, Sydney's great. Quieter at the moment and weather's cooled down a bit so we're not dealing with scorching heat anymore.

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Weird is the best way to describe it right now. We're not on full lock down as other countries or towns but it does look like its heading that way. The restrictions we have in place themselves are quite odd to say the least, so it's been a mix of "she'll be alright" attitude and slow build up of anxiety.

Other than the looming dread in the back of everyone's mind, Sydney's great. Quieter at the moment and weather's cooled down a bit so we're not dealing with scorching heat anymore.
She'll be alright indeed. Bless the Aussie optimism. I love Sydney, Bondi Beach!

itsbk93

Reaction score
Hey there,

Regards,
Jonathan

View attachment 1361139 View attachment 1361149
Welcome Aboard Jonathan,

Please do checkout my thread and share your valuable insights - https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...king-men-and-work-tote-bags-for-women.661965/

Cheers!

itsbk93

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Welcome Aboard Ken,

Please do check out my thread and share your valuable insights - https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...king-men-and-work-tote-bags-for-women.661965/

Cheers!

Markodevil

Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Mark, I am 21 and located in Melbourne, Australia. I don't tend to wear suits, but I am quite interested in shirts. I have tried many off the rack shirts but none seem to fit the way I want, so I have been researching tailors in my area when I came across this forum, so I thought I might as well sign up and get as much information as I can.

Thanks.

itsbk93

Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Mark, I am 21 and located in Melbourne, Australia. I don't tend to wear suits, but I am quite interested in shirts. I have tried many off the rack shirts but none seem to fit the way I want, so I have been researching tailors in my area when I came across this forum, so I thought I might as well sign up and get as much information as I can.

Thanks.
Hey Mark, Welcome onboard.

Grace@Apposta

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi all!

My name is Grace, and I run the thread on behalf of Apposta, an Italian online brand for made-to-measure shirts.

A little bit about me. I'm based in London, and have spent the last 10 years working in men's tailoring under various brands from London's Jermyn Street, as well as a traveling bespoke tailor, and some time with a well known dutch suiting brand.
My formative years in the industry where spent as a freelance costumier, working on several theater productions, touring shows and small stage dramas. I have a keen eye for detail and have always loved the challenge in the technical side of clothing.
This is where my skills come into play in working with Apposta as a shirt expert, drawing on my experience from my years on London's famous Jermyn Street, keeping my customers up to date with new trends and classic styles, and my costume experience to guide customers on how their shirt fits can be improved to fit their body types.

I look forward to interacting with you all, exchanging styling tips, and commenting on technical questions you may have.

Last edited:

itsbk93

Reaction score
Hi all!

My name is Grace, and I run the thread on behalf of Apposta, an Italian online brand for made-to-measure shirts.

A little bit about me. I'm based in London, and have spent the last 10 years working in men's tailoring under various brands from London's Jermyn Street, as well as a traveling bespoke tailor, and some time with a well known dutch suiting brand.
My formative years in the industry where spent as a freelance costumier, working on several theater productions, touring shows and small stage dramas. I have a keen eye for detail and have always loved the challenge in the technical side of clothing.
This is where my skills come into play in working with Apposta as a shirt expert, drawing on my experience from my years on London's famous Jermyn Street, keeping my customers up to date with new trends and current styles, and my costume experience to guide customers on how their shirt fits can be improved to fit their body types.

I look forward to interacting with you all and exchanging styling tips, and commenting on technical questions you may have.
Welcome Aboard, Grace. Your concept is definitely a great personalization tab.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads