• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

White Collar Boy

Reaction score
Hi folks. I’ve been an unregistered lurker for about 18 months with increasing frequency of late.

Almost as far back as I can remember, I have enjoyed ‘dressing up’, and putting some effort into choosing and looking after my clothes. But that doesn’t mean I was ever savvy or stylish, something I am only now beginning to work on thanks to SF, a couple of blogs (my favourite is Derek Guy’s) and several books (which I again credit SF with helping me choose).

My main interests lately are dress shoes, sport coats and ties, and I must admit I registered mainly so that I could buy some ties here!

Cheers,
Matt

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi folks. I’ve been an unregistered lurker for about 18 months with increasing frequency of late.

Almost as far back as I can remember, I have enjoyed ‘dressing up’, and putting some effort into choosing and looking after my clothes. But that doesn’t mean I was ever savvy or stylish, something I am only now beginning to work on thanks to SF, a couple of blogs (my favourite is Derek Guy’s) and several books (which I again credit SF with helping me choose).

My main interests lately are dress shoes, sport coats and ties, and I must admit I registered mainly so that I could buy some ties here!

Cheers,
Matt
An unregistered lurker, I'm not sure that's legal? Glad that you see some ties that you'd like to purchase. One can learn much here at no extra cost. Welcome to the forum!

BLNDRWMN

Reaction score
Hello, just another lurker emerging blinking into the sunlight here. I possess an unholy quantity of bags and shoes, and rather more nice coats and jackets than I should for someone living in the lower tropics. Figured it's about time I joined up so that I could participate in various obsession threads. :)

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(sung to the tune of Manic Monday) Just another squinting lurker, comin' outta night, blinking into sun-light...
And one who possesses an unholy number of bags (666?) pray tell?
Well, you've arrived, come to the right place! Hopefully we can shed some light on those obsessions.
Welcome to the forum!

BLNDRWMN

Reaction score
Ha! I've had many a bag come and go over the years, though I don't know they'd quite amount to that particular unholy number just yet. Mostly men's and women's designer bags, though I've gotten rid of most over time and currently just have a half dozen daily carry options left. The bag bug lingers though... I finally joined to indulge my current hankering for a Filson 257!

Be female, but as a tomboy with an active lifestyle I often prefer men's bags and style as they are far more utilitarian and practical than women's gear. My sole remaining LV is the original Tadao, a men's large tote, though I might sell it and others once I get my paws upon a 257. One bag to rule them all, and I shall enjoy seeing it patinate and evolve over time. :inlove:

White Collar Boy

Reaction score
Ha! I've had many a bag come and go over the years, though I don't know they'd quite amount to that particular unholy number just yet. Mostly men's and women's designer bags, though I've gotten rid of most over time and currently just have a half dozen daily carry options left. The bag bug lingers though... I finally joined to indulge my current hankering for a Filson 257!.. once I get my paws upon a 257.
Hi Tierney

I’m not sure if they are still on sale, but sick of trawling eBay and Gumtree to no avail, I finally bought a tan 257 this week through the End website (English site, even though I live in Australia, as the sale didn’t appear in the Australian version). It was $375 AUD posted. Maybe worth a look if you haven’t already?

BLNDRWMN

Reaction score
Hi WCB - I know End, I'll go check! I wonder if they still have any... thanks for the tip! :D

ETA: No 257s, but they do have the super cute Smokey Bear Tote! If only they'd do a Smokey 257, I'd be in bits, and tan isn't even my colour...

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ha! I've had many a bag come and go over the years, though I don't know they'd quite amount to that particular unholy number just yet. Mostly men's and women's designer bags, though I've gotten rid of most over time and currently just have a half dozen daily carry options left. The bag bug lingers though... I finally joined to indulge my current hankering for a Filson 257!

Be female, but as a tomboy with an active lifestyle I often prefer men's bags and style as they are far more utilitarian and practical than women's gear. My sole remaining LV is the original Tadao, a men's large tote, though I might sell it and others once I get my paws upon a 257. One bag to rule them all, and I shall enjoy seeing it patinate and evolve over time. :inlove:
To patinate and evolve. I like that. Philosophical, a life examined is well served. Cheers!

White Collar Boy

Reaction score
Hi WCB - I know End, I'll go check! I wonder if they still have any... thanks for the tip! :D

ETA: No 257s, but they do have the super cute Smokey Bear Tote! If only they'd do a Smokey 257, I'd be in bits, and tan isn't even my colour...
Yes, sorry Tierney, it was the 256 I confused with the 257!

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm to learn the knowledge about Avant Garde.
Hmmm, not quite sure what you mean by this, sartorial intelligentsia? However, if you've come by way of wanting to learn more about aesthetic innovation, the perceptual difference between fashion (trendy) and stylish, then you've come to the right place. Welcome aboard!

Jari

Reaction score
Hi all,

my name is Jari and I am from the Netherlands. A long time lurker and its time to register and introduce myself. I am trying to make an affort in changing my style from casual to more smart/preppy. I am a big fan of wearing knitted ties combined with chino's, (sometimes jeans) with shirt, waistcoat/vest. Here to find some inspiration and tips.

Kind regards, Jari.

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

my name is Jari and I am from the Netherlands. A long time lurker and its time to register and introduce myself. I am trying to make an affort in changing my style from casual to more smart/preppy. I am a big fan of wearing knitted ties combined with chino's, (sometimes jeans) with shirt, waistcoat/vest. Here to find some inspiration and tips.

Kind regards, Jari.
Hello Jari, welcome to the forum!

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Sneakers with tailoring: yes, no, maybe?

• No, never.

• Yes, it can be done tastefully.

• Not sure.

Results are only viewable after voting.