• Welcome to the Styleforum Approved contest! This is a contest where everyone wins: in fact, every participant will get a (highly coveted) “Styleforum approved” bracelet to flaunt to your oblivious friends. The only thing you have to do is show appreciation for a member of the forum or an affiliate vendor.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

new_to_suits

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am Ralf, 29 years of age, and I am delving into the world of suits!

I have some experience with colour theory and building my general casual wardrobe. And I have become a sucker for GoodYearWelted shoes!

I am now starting as a consultant where I will have to wear a suit every day (but not tie) and I have not a single one right now that fits me since I lost a lot of weight, so I have to build a decent wardrobe in the next 3 weeks!

I am reading a lot on this forum and have also been cross-referencing posts here from Reddit like these ones.

I am currently based in the Netherlands, but will move to Switzerland.

Any advice on (threads discussing) straightforward advice on building a beginners wardrobe that is minimalist and versatile are highly appreciated!

Thanks so much! :)

billbishere

Reaction score
Hey -

My name is Bill. I am 39 years old, I live in Columbus Ohio.

Just joined the forum - I came here because someone who wrote a blog I was reading referred to this forum as getting his information so. It sounded like a place where people were knowledgeable about higher end menswear.

I do photography on the side and because of that I have contracted to do work with Magnanni several times over the last couple years. So with that sometimes I work in shoes as part of my payment, so I have several pairs. My Marcelo Boots are the ones I have had the longest, they haven't been worn much and have always had a shoe tree but I have done nothing else to them otherwise. But I recently just picked up 2 more pair Friday so I am to the point now to where I need to learn more about the cleaning and care.

I just ordered ----
Saphir Medaille d'Or Pommadier Cream 75ml - Neutral
Saphir Medaille d'Or Renovator
Otter Wax Saddle Soap | 2oz | All-Natural Leather Cleaner | Made in USA
Jovitec 3 Pieces Horsehair Shoes Polish Brushes

That seemed to be a pretty decent starting point from my research. I am sorta going back on forth on the "Renovator" as they seems to be some good and bad with it. I may just return it and just use the cream for now since I am still learning proper technique and products

I look forward to lurking and learning here.

JFWR

Reaction score
I'm James, I'm 33, a doctoral student in philosophy (who previously worked independently as a professor).

Sinyo18

Reaction score
Hey -

My name is Bill. I am 39 years old, I live in Columbus Ohio.

Just joined the forum - I came here because someone who wrote a blog I was reading referred to this forum as getting his information so. It sounded like a place where people were knowledgeable about higher end menswear.

I do photography on the side and because of that I have contracted to do work with Magnanni several times over the last couple years. So with that sometimes I work in shoes as part of my payment, so I have several pairs. My Marcelo Boots are the ones I have had the longest, they haven't been worn much and have always had a shoe tree but I have done nothing else to them otherwise. But I recently just picked up 2 more pair Friday so I am to the point now to where I need to learn more about the cleaning and care.

I just ordered ----
Saphir Medaille d'Or Pommadier Cream 75ml - Neutral
Saphir Medaille d'Or Renovator
Otter Wax Saddle Soap | 2oz | All-Natural Leather Cleaner | Made in USA
Jovitec 3 Pieces Horsehair Shoes Polish Brushes

That seemed to be a pretty decent starting point from my research. I am sorta going back on forth on the "Renovator" as they seems to be some good and bad with it. I may just return it and just use the cream for now since I am still learning proper technique and products

I look forward to lurking and learning here.
Hello Bill, you need not lurk about. Welcome to our forum!

Sinyo18

Reaction score
Hi,

i have been reading these threads for a while now, but thought it was about time I registered 🙂. I have a love for shoes and classic menswear in general, and tend to spend way more than my partner, so should find some likeminded people over here.
Welcome!

SAlexD

Reaction score
Hi SAlexD here.

37 year old engineer, on a journey to slowly build up my wardrobe and invest in more quality items. My style is quality casual and I'm mainly into shoes, boots, demin and leather.

Sinyo18

Reaction score
Hi SAlexD here.

37 year old engineer, on a journey to slowly build up my wardrobe and invest in more quality items. My style is quality casual and I'm mainly into shoes, boots, demin and leather.
Welcome aboard!

Reaction score
Hello! I came here because I want to dress formal and decent. I would like to invest in classic and quality.

TheBookie

Reaction score
TheBookie here. Born and bred Londoner, long time lurker and hoping to contribute to this community little by little. Got in way over my head a few years ago starting off with a pair of Loake and then straight into G&G. No going back now!

On the hunt for better trousers...

lowland4me

Reaction score
TheBookie here. Born and bred Londoner, long time lurker and hoping to contribute to this community little by little. Got in way over my head a few years ago starting off with a pair of Loake and then straight into G&G. No going back now!

Welcome aboard fellow "over my head'r"!

Reaction score
Good afternoon all,

My name is Cale, I'm a 22 year old graduate student at the University of Missouri-Columbia. I enjoy dressing up, but struggle with looking over-dressed in most situations. So, my wardrobe relies heavily on OCBD's and casual sport coats. Being from a farming community I can often be found in cowboy boots lol. Glad to join this forum, I have much to learn.

Sinyo18

Reaction score
Hello! I came here because I want to dress formal and decent. I would like to invest in classic and quality.
Hi, wanting to learn about formal attire is a laudable aspiration. Investing in classic style and quality pieces is a good start. Welcome to the forum!

Sinyo18

Reaction score

Staring off with Loake and straight into G&G, both of which are superb brands. Bookie indeed! Lol! Welcome!

Sinyo18

Reaction score
Good afternoon all,

My name is Cale, I'm a 22 year old graduate student at the University of Missouri-Columbia. I enjoy dressing up, but struggle with looking over-dressed in most situations. So, my wardrobe relies heavily on OCBD's and casual sport coats. Being from a farming community I can often be found in cowboy boots lol. Glad to join this forum, I have much to learn.
Hi Cale, even those of us with some sartorial experience began our journey by putting one foot forward and one step at a time. Enjoy the journey. Welcome to the forum!

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Face Masks: Pick Your Favorite (Choose 2)

• Disposable surgical mask

• White cotton mask

• Linen-lined mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of suiting fabric

• Patterned mask (checks, stripes, fun print, etc.)

• Solid color silk mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of tie fabric

• Sports mask made of synthetic fabric

• Denim mask

• Face shield

Results are only viewable after voting.