• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I just realized that the Lanieri subforum is closed to new posts. So where should I place these pictures, for a critique? In "What Are You Wearing Now," perhaps?
Hi, yes you can post it in the aforementioned forum and here as well.

visigoth

Reaction score
Ah, okay. I'll post it here first. The fabric is a charcoal micro-houndstooth from Reda. Standard lapels (narrow, notched); no pleats, uncuffed. I have to say: they were wonderful to work with. When the suit first arrived, the trousers were longer than I wanted, and the vest bowed out -- didn't quite lie flat on my chest. So they did the adjustments, free of charge, and it's now -- to my mind, anyway -- perfect. Do the critics here agree?

(Pardon the photos -- all I had with me was my phone, and I was shooting into a slightly warped mirror.)

Suit2cropped.jpg
Suit3cropped.jpg

Suit1cropped.jpg

Dave W

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm David and I live in Yorkshire, UK. I am a footwear Area Sales Manager and love shoes. Really into the American heritage look from Truman, Red Wing, Alden etc.........

Heirobba

Reaction score
Hi!
My name is Axel. I introduced myself in this thread some time ago but my introduction was fairly short. I'll try to do it properly this time.
I used to find buying clothes somehow intimidating because they usually don't fit me very well off the rack. I've been wearing Levi's jeans, Adidas Samba shoes and work boots for most of my life. That's gradually changing now.
The last couple of years I learned how to get a better fit from clothing. I threw out a lot of my stuff and took half of the remaining shirts to a tailor. I'm 51 years old so you can say it took me some time to get the knack.
Now I'm starting to build a sensible wardrobe around what I have. I got me some decent shoes and some clothes that aren't half bad. I take more interest in what people I see are wearing than I used to. My new clothes and the old ones I kept feel great.
My current project is getting a nice business suit. I work in research and development. In the firm where I work the CEO is the only person who wears a suit to work. Visiting customers wear tweed sporscoats and jeans so I greet them in a combination. Anyway I feel that at my age I'd like to have a practical-looking but nice suit for special occasions. People on this forum have been very supportive and helped me to sort out what I need.
I am looking forward to spending more time with you here.
Axel

DRChauvin

Reaction score
This is a thread in which you introduce yourself, regulars and new members alike. This is one thread I'd like to keep reasonably civil and reasonably clean, so, let's do that, okay?

I'll start. I'm Fok, one of the adminstrators on the forum. I have a bunch of kids and live in Idaho. If anyone told me any of the above 6 years ago, I would have wanted whatever they were smoking.

I wear jeans 24/7 - mostly Triple Works and RRL, and otherwise, have a lot of belts and overpriced Italian made sneakers. I mix up Wings+Horns, RRL, Jil Sander, Margiela, Haversack, Woolrich Woolen Mills, and SNS Herning,

Hope that you guys have a good time on the forum.

Cheers,

Fok.

Hello,
I'm Daniel. I'm a designer who is always looking for fresh inspiration. I'm hoping to get some here from your fashion conscious members.

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi!
My name is Axel. I introduced myself in this thread some time ago but my introduction was fairly short. I'll try to do it properly this time.
I used to find buying clothes somehow intimidating because they usually don't fit me very well off the rack. I've been wearing Levi's jeans, Adidas Samba shoes and work boots for most of my life. That's gradually changing now.
The last couple of years I learned how to get a better fit from clothing. I threw out a lot of my stuff and took half of the remaining shirts to a tailor. I'm 51 years old so you can say it took me some time to get the knack.
Now I'm starting to build a sensible wardrobe around what I have. I got me some decent shoes and some clothes that aren't half bad. I take more interest in what people I see are wearing than I used to. My new clothes and the old ones I kept feel great.
My current project is getting a nice business suit. I work in research and development. In the firm where I work the CEO is the only person who wears a suit to work. Visiting customers wear tweed sporscoats and jeans so I greet them in a combination. Anyway I feel that at my age I'd like to have a practical-looking but nice suit for special occasions. People on this forum have been very supportive and helped me to sort out what I need.
I am looking forward to spending more time with you here.
Axel
Welcome redoux to Axel.

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm David and I live in Yorkshire, UK. I am a footwear Area Sales Manager and love shoes. Really into the American heritage look from Truman, Red Wing, Alden etc.........
David, happy to have you aboard!

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm Daniel. I'm a designer who is always looking for fresh inspiration. I'm hoping to get some here from your fashion conscious members.
Absolutely, welcome. I hope that we can be of assistance.

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, okay. I'll post it here first. The fabric is a charcoal micro-houndstooth from Reda. Standard lapels (narrow, notched); no pleats, uncuffed. I have to say: they were wonderful to work with. When the suit first arrived, the trousers were longer than I wanted, and the vest bowed out -- didn't quite lie flat on my chest. So they did the adjustments, free of charge, and it's now -- to my mind, anyway -- perfect. Do the critics here agree?

(Pardon the photos -- all I had with me was my phone, and I was shooting into a slightly warped mirror.)

View attachment 1072410 View attachment 1072412
View attachment 1072413
That's a beautiful looking suit. Nothing negative (pun intended) stands out in these photos. Personally, I'd loose the dark charcoal or black sporty shoes and would go with a medium tone to dark brown cap toe shoe. If black, then I'd pair the suit wingtip lace ups or a black Chelsea boot to add a bit more pizazz.

visigoth

Reaction score
That's a beautiful looking suit. Nothing negative (pun intended) stands out in these photos. Personally, I'd loose the dark charcoal or black sporty shoes and would go with a medium tone to dark brown cap toe shoe. If black, then I'd pair the suit wingtip lace ups or a black Chelsea boot to add a bit more pizazz.
Thank you! Now to find some shoes that won't break the bank.

Last edited:

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you! Now to find some shoes that won't break the bank. I've been looking at the Carlos Santos Jumper Boot in coimbra patina. Good choice for this suit? (I could

https://www.skoaktiebolaget.com/col...s/carlos-santos-jumper-boot-in-coimbra-patina

I could go for the Coimbra Dress Shoes -- essentially what you recommended above -- but I'd get more use out of the boots, and winter is coming.
Those are nice looking boots and a good tonal color. However, I must say that I'm not a great fan of pairing larger, thick soled lace up boots and a suit. My preference for boots would be something that has a relatively flat sole and does not come too high above your ankle, like a Chelsea boot. I could see those jumper boots paired with nice jeans either black or brown. Olive colored moleskin pants, paired with a with a dark blue, or cream, possibly mid tone to darker yellow long sleeved shirt and a sport jacket, or perhaps a long sleeved wool or cashmere sweater with a nice overcoat. A grey or brown hounds tooth overcoat would look spectacular. You can combine any of the aforementioned elements.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads