STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Introduce yourself.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LA Guy, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Caaaaarrrrrll

Caaaaarrrrrll New Member

My name is Carl. I recently graduated college and started losing some unnecessary weight, which made me want to dress better as well.

I know to buy quality over quantity, but I really struggle with colors and patterns. I guess I wound my way here because I am going to a wedding in a month and want to look like I know what I'm doing. I purchased a navy suit (all I have is charcoal grey). Got a pair of big boy shoes (Allen Edmonds). And started to look around online for different colors and patterns that would go well with a navy suit and brown shoes.

Turns out there are a ton, so now I'm here for any advice on these things. And figured I'd browse for other typical newbie things on here as well.

2. Mathemagician

Mathemagician New Member

Greetings! I am a consultant and work with a broad array of clients, each with their own dress code. My company services software/engineering offices that are very casual as well as financial services/insurance firms that are rigidly formal and everything in between, including highly fashion-conscious media and cosmetics companies. We also lead events which include military PT (boots, bloused cammies, etc.) and often feature hiking, fishing, and other outdoor activities along with conference room activities. Packing for week-long trips is always a challenge and is compounded when visiting multiple clients/events.

I'm really excited to have found SF and I'm looking forward to digging deeper into the great info I've seen thus far! To that end, I'd appreciate any advice you could give that will help a new user get up to speed. For example, it would be really useful if there were a current list or ranking of brands and/or retailers or some sort of "getting started" guide.

Thanks!

3. Sinyo18

Sinyo18 Senior Member

Interesting, I've never seen this website (Hudson) before. Many of the styles seem comparable to that which I've seen offered for sale in the states, or that which is produced by/for American brands. Trask is one brand that comes to mind. How would you rate Hudson's quality and craftsmanship?

4. Brogue_Bro

Brogue_Bro New Member

Hello, my name is Steve! I graduated college a few years ago and as soon I was employed and earning a paycheck I instantly became interested in fashion. I started following FMF on reddit just picking and choosing what I like. I like colorful prints and casual wear although I am starting to eye more formal wear since I work in education. I like Engineered Garments and Our Legacy quite a bit as well as Freeman's Sporting Club. I look forward to interacting with a community and (hopefully) not just being a lurker.

5. SuitedCC_50

SuitedCC_50 New Member

Hello - my name is Kyle! I'm new to the whole style thing but looking forward to getting some great tips from all of you!

6. Svdharma

Svdharma New Member

Hello!

My name is Julian. I wear dark chinos or jeans with a button up shirt and high top Clarks chukkas most days. I have a penchant for vintage shirts, flannels, and jackets, especially in cool materials like wool, linen, mohair, and crepe. I like clean, simple lines and I like to let the texture of the materials do the talking. I am interested in design and I like to make cloths and accessories as an outlet for my creativity.

7. 30000shoes

30000shoes New Member

Hi, I'm 30000shoes. I've only recently started to explore style and fashion options in the last year or so. My current go-to style is dark, asymmetrically patterned shirts, dark jeans and light boots (chelseas/chukkas). For summer, I've been trying to change it up and go for lighter colors, dressier sneakers, but I'm definitely a fall/winter kinda guy because I love boots and jackets. Some of my favorite brands are: Ted Baker, Allsaints, Allen Edmonds, A.P.C., Paul Smith, Helmut Lang, etc. I've also started to dabble in some splurgey-high-end accessories from brands like Gucci, Prada and Alexander McQueen (their clothing items are not really my style - or within my budget - but I do like those accessories). It's been really fun and liberating to spend time exploring brands and fashion and clothing, and it's kept me from some more self-destructive habits. Now I would rather spend the weekend going shopping or looking for good deals online than out all night drinking or worse. I'm on this forum because I think my friends are getting sick of hearing me talk about clothes and shoes and wallets - oh my.