1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Introduce yourself.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LA Guy, Aug 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Sinyo18

Sinyo18 Well-Known Member

Okay, so let's help you find the happy medium. Maybe eclectic is what you're aiming for here, as opposed to eccentric? What kind of prices, brands and specifically what look are you going for? Post some photos of what strikes your fancy, what you aspire towards, and some of what you already own and we can go from there.

2. Rollin Stone

Rollin Stone Member

99F3E40B-C0CD-479E-9A5A-7138B0126786.png 2E9A0F81-E6C8-406C-AAC6-6E47A2191C8C.png D1E3E7CD-2B6B-4A86-857D-5DDFA91C347F.png 62571768-86AD-4735-85EC-C86CDE13573A.png
    Not sure if here’s the right place to post all this or not, but here we go. I usually wear Eddie Bauer becaus it fits, not because I love the brand. I can get tall sizes there, jeans come from american eagle outfitters, once again because they fit, I usually get 100% cotton and stretch jeans in original straight both. Shoes I almost always buy what ever premium brand (usually eBay or thrift) size 14’s I can get. I have a few pairs of Johnston Murphy but the 3 above are my recent pickups, I also have the above Ferragamo slip on loafer in black. The shirt above is a stretch material so it fits well for layering. I would normally do that shirt, dark og straight AE jeans and the Ferragamo shoes below, layered with a crew neck maybe navy T-shirt or grey T-shirt under. I’m on the athletic side and I’m a big guy. Brands don’t matter as much as fit and price isn’t a huge deal, just shirts under $100 range and jeans under the $200 (hopefully no one laughs, i know some here spend hundreds more on shirts and jeans). Shoes I’m probably good on. The look I’m going for is a 34 year old semi professional (edited: to clarify i mean more just a daily more professional casual look moreso than athletic wear that i often s end up in) for casual bar night, this too would be my work attire except my company has me wearing a Company tshirt (don’t ask, they could at least give us polos, but they do provide tall size T-shirt’s for me!)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018 at 11:44 PM

3. Sinyo18

Hi, it seems like you have a handle on what you like to wear and a price range. I like the Ferragamo mocs and would not advise you to pair the grey suede woven slip on shoes with the outfit pictured above. Better to stick with with your brown shoes, the mocs, or if you're feeling a bit more creative, go with a blue suede moc or laceup.

4. Rollin Stone

Rollin Stone Member

Any shirt recommendations for any of those shoes? Maybe some ideas or pictures of outfits for the lace up Ferragamos? I’d like more layering ideas, ie. Button down, and Henley underneath where I get messed up is colors/Jean colors with shoes. What I think matches seems too old fashion to me.

5. Sinyo18

Here are some tips...

Loafers:
    Blue sport shirt (long or short sleeves). If short sleeves, then maybe blue or cream colored linen shirt. Or, light red or pink colored linen or cotton long sleeved button down shirt. Match with blue jeans or slacks, tan colored pants, olive colored khaki's (chinos) or straw colored khaki's/chinos. As a rule, keep away from dark brown pants with the brown loafers. **However an exception to this rule would be a brown leather jacket, deep red/merlot button down shirt, brown pants and the brown loafers or laceups. Try pairing a white cotton or linen button down shirt with medium to light weight black colored jeans and the dark brown loafers. Substitute the jeans for light weight grey chinos for and pair with a white cotton or linen shirt.

Brown lace ups: In winter: pair with medium to dark toned green cords, olive mole skin pants, black cords, medium tone blue cords or medium to dark toned blue jeans. Tops: black or white long sleeved turtle neck shirts. Pair a dark red cashmere or merino wool sweater with with olive colored mole skins or cords. Outer layer long medium tone blue down puffer vest or blue ski parka jacket. If you like to wear vests, then wear a red and black check shirt (or a blue/black check shirt and dark blue jeans) with a dark brown leather vest (or a charcoal colored vest with black pants or black jeans) with dark brown or wine colored cords or medium blue tone to dark blue jeans. If you want to go a bit more trendy then a red/black check shirt, black jeans, dark brown or charcoal colored vest and the lace ups.

Brown lace ups for summer: Evening only. Pair with white jeans, or linen pants, and black, red, or green floral patterned shirts, think Tommy Bahama. Light brown or cream colored short sleeved shirt, light weight, light brown colored cardigan (for the cream colored shirt) or light red or pink cardigan sweater and light weight cream colored long pants.

Black Loafers: White button down shirt, black jeans, black slacks or charcoal colored slacks, maybe grey chinos or charcoal dark grey jeans. Try wearing a button down or sport shirt that has some red in it, or pink. Pair this with black jeans and the black loafers. Green and black check jacket (not sport coat!) with black or charcoal colored jeans and the loafers. Now you're stylin' !

General rule of thumb (and toes, lol!) for jeans. No baggy jeans! According to what you mentioned, you're a big dude. Traditional cut (no skinny legged jeans either!) but straight cut jeans, yes! In winter wear dark toned jeans with your loafers and lace ups. As I've mentioned, try to experiment by investing in some different colored cords. and mole skins. Narrow waled corduroys only! No wide wales for you brother (or for any of us :) ! In warmer weather, white and light toned light weight pants and mid to light colored blue jeans. Remember if you're on the heavy side wider cut baggy pants, jeans, and slacks will only make you look heavier! Here's to looking svelt my man!!

I hope that you find this helpful. --Sinyo B.

6. Rollin Stone

Rollin Stone Member

Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks a ton. I will put some stuff together and post pictures over in the what are you wearing and seek advice there.
    Thanks for the kick start of ideas!

7. Sinyo18

You're welcome, happy to help. Please keep me informed. -B.

8. POWONGOR

POWONGOR New Member

Halo~ I'm POWONGOR from HONG KONG. Love denim and leather shoes, nice to meet you all.

9. Sinyo18

A pleasure to meet you as well.

10. Willi6

Willi6 New Member

Gentlemen, hello I'm willi6, and I live in Los Angeles, and I stumbled across this page one nite,and I'm glad I did.