• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello styleforum, I'm middle-aged and enjoy wearing suits to work, even when the code is casual. I've discovered my understanding of color is "less than optimal", and am researching how to make better choices. While guilty of a multitude of fashion crimes, I'm am striving to exonerate myself through dressing well and helping others do the same.

I've been reading this forum for a few days and have learned much, thank you!
Hello there, nothing wrong with wearing suits. David Bowie wore suits almost everyday, for real! He liked the idea of a clean look and matched simplicity. Understanding what colors work for you and which don't as well as mixing and matching colors takes time. It's important to note that not everyone looks good in every color equally across the board. It takes time, patience and a bit of creativity. However, you're on the path! Best wishes.

John Rafael

Reaction score
Hello, Gentlemen.

My name is John, I'm a 23yo College Student, leaving my job as computer teacher for kids and about to start in my new job of graphic designer/computer software technician (which is just a cool name for "computer guy") at my city bureau of Social Services... well, we need to start somewhere. I still don't have too much money, but I'd like to do a total refresh in my wardrobe in next months. I still have lots of t-shirts, and I'd like to replace it, little by little, with polos and shirts.

But I have some things I tend to consider.

First: I live in northeastern Brazil, in a climate similar to desert, where temperatures easily reach 100°F. So using a suit is torture, unless you're a judge/lawyer in the court. Most of people, including me, doesn't even have a suit/blazer.

Second: Still considering the temperature, most of the uniform for my future job is comprised of jeans, some canvas sneakers/casual shoes and t-shirts or polos with the Social Services logo. I'd like to not deviate a lot from this at the start.

Third: I have lots of "compulsive buyers" around me. My mother has dozens of shoes. My younger sister is going the same way. My boss (the new one, also a woman) is always talking about being well-dressed. I want to impress. I want to do the best choices. No useless buys. As I stated, I'm still in college, so money is still scarce and precious.

Other than it, I'm also saving for a new laptop and new furniture for my room (I live with my parents).

I just had a pointer of two, with some sites like Iron and Tweed, Efortless Gent, Primer Magazine, Gentlemen's Gazette and others. But some direct advice would be nice if you don't mind. Should I make a personal topic somewhere in the forums?

Thanks for reading. Is good to be here.

Best regards,

John.

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome. Yes, better to be discreet in your spending, don't be in a rush to build a wardrobe. Gentlemen's Gazette is a good site to learn the basics. I like Sven, and have chatted with him. However, stylistically he's a bit on the conservative side sartorially, venturing into the arcane, imo. E.g.how to choose a suitable ascot for such and such occasion, etc. Another site that I strongly recommend, (particularly for young men who are trying to find their individual sense of style, budget, etc.) is masculine style.com . Tanner is a really cool guy, very smart, he's informative without being condescending. Actually it was he who introduced me to SF. I hope that this information is helpful to you.

DeNomad

Reaction score
@John Rafael welcome! I would recommend posting some quick questions in the thread linked below
Ask a question get an answer post all quick questions here thread

If I could go back and advise my younger self I would say buy one really nice pair of formal shoes or boots and have a few tailored dress shirts. Every guy needs a nice fitting white shirt for starters. Black shoes go with everything.

While a suit or blazer might not be needed, in a warmer climate a unlined jacket would be something to consider as it will breath better than a lined one.

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@John Rafael welcome! I would recommend posting some quick questions in the thread linked below
Ask a question get an answer post all quick questions here thread

If I could go back and advise my younger self I would say buy one really nice pair of formal shoes or boots and have a few tailored dress shirts. Every guy needs a nice fitting white shirt for starters. Black shoes go with everything.

While a suit or blazer might not be needed, in a warmer climate a unlined jacket would be something to consider as it will breath better than a lined one.
I agree, at least one unlined jacket. I lived in the equatorial tropics for many years, a linen blazer/sport coat and seersucker do nicely in that environment. As for footwear in a hot climate, lace up shoes generally fare better than boots. Brown shoes (in varying tones) are my preference for hot weather, especially during the daytime, and one pair of high quality black lace ups or moccasins for the evening.

Jason Sather

Reaction score
Reading through some of the welcome posts, I'm an excited new member.

The last few years my girlfriend has been trying to change my style. Every holiday I receive some type of clothing or shoes that she hints at me to start wearing.

I suppose now that I'm 32 it's worth growing up and learning a little bit about style. T-shirts and jeans is just not enough apparently.

My specialty is fragrance for men so I'll most likely be hanging out in those threads to give back some of my knowledge. Otherwise, I'll be asking some really noob questions in the style section.

Thanks for having me,

Jason

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reading through some of the welcome posts, I'm an excited new member.

The last few years my girlfriend has been trying to change my style. Every holiday I receive some type of clothing or shoes that she hints at me to start wearing.

I suppose now that I'm 32 it's worth growing up and learning a little bit about style. T-shirts and jeans is just not enough apparently.

My specialty is fragrance for men so I'll most likely be hanging out in those threads to give back some of my knowledge. Otherwise, I'll be asking some really noob questions in the style section.

Thanks for having me,

Jason
Hi Jason, what kind of scents are you into?

Jason Sather

Reaction score
Hi Jason, what kind of scents are you into?

Haha... Unfortunately my love for fragrances has turned into a website so I spend my time writing about different scents and there is more than a few of them.

I'm a little different than a lot of the fragrance experts out there. I concentrate more on the popular, top selling, designer, and basically the ones people actually wear out there.

Most of the other fragrance reviewers that I've met talk about niche perfumes that nobody has ever heard of. "That ain't me"

But just to give you a couple because I'm rambling for no reason, The One by Dolce, Allure Homme Sport by Chanel, Dior by Sauvage, and I'm trying to get myself to like Eros by Versace because it's so well-liked.

You have a few favorites?

michaeljudah

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm Michael from Indonesia. Just recently discovered this site and I love it!

A bit about my fashion preferences: I discover my deep fascination in classic menswear; particularly the Italian style since the day I purchased my first hunter's jacket from Tagliatore. Well enough said, I'm really into anything that is Italian brand and/or style after that.

My current look revolves anything smart-casual or formal. But not too posh. My main interest is unstructured blazer and/or (almost) anything that is doublebreasted, be it blazer, suit or coat. I don't stick in one brand whenever I bought a RTW, as I'd like to explore and try different brands; so far, I've tried Tagliatore, Spada, LBM1991, Boglioli, Beams and a couple of others. Some were new, some were from thrift stores/eBay.

RJG

Reaction score
Just some random thoughts about me. I found this website a few weeks ago... very inspiring !
I wish I could say that I’ve always wanted to be a gentleman. I’ve always had pretty good manners. But it wasn’t like that. It was initially something that started with work, needing some key pieces for the office Monday through Friday.

This was in the early 2000’s where it was impossible to find a nice fitting, crisp white dress shirt that wasn't massively huge with way too much fabric. Darts ? What’s that ? Trim fit? Never heard of it.

For a few years I’d collect a few pieces about once a month it seems. It was more of background noise. Not a concerted attempt, really. A nice wool vest here, thrift shop score there. Save up for a killer pair of single monks from a retailer in Seattle. And after a while – with some tweaking I’d make all the pieces work pretty well.

But something else was ; and still is happening. I’d find myself noticing what I called ‘The Slop’.
The Slop is the guy in the workplace who just can’t/won’t get out of his high school days – baseball caps, baggy pants, sloppy t-shirts. It is literally on every corner in Seattle. In every store. The Slop is everywhere. Folks who never put the 30 seconds of effort to stop and think about their clothes. Maybe it’s a sociology experiment, who knows, maybe were all hurried, caffeine fueled to the point of disconnect from self? Maybe people just don’t own mirrors anymore and run out of the house blindly. Trust me, I've been there.

And by choosing to dress differently from that, I am, by proxy choosing to stand out. In Seattle – if you dress well, you will stand out. It’s inevitable. And it’s not even a bad thing. I'm not about some pompousness, or some such nonsense. Hey I don't own a Brooks Brother suit. But I get compliments from men and women.

The people at my work don’t question as much anymore- that’s just me. No I don’t have a job interview. No I don’t have a wedding, or a funeral, or a court hearing. (?). It’s just that I have a closet full of this stuff now and I’m going to rock it.

Huzzah !

RJG

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm Michael from Indonesia. Just recently discovered this site and I love it!

A bit about my fashion preferences: I discover my deep fascination in classic menswear; particularly the Italian style since the day I purchased my first hunter's jacket from Tagliatore. Well enough said, I'm really into anything that is Italian brand and/or style after that.

My current look revolves anything smart-casual or formal. But not too posh. My main interest is unstructured blazer and/or (almost) anything that is doublebreasted, be it blazer, suit or coat. I don't stick in one brand whenever I bought a RTW, as I'd like to explore and try different brands; so far, I've tried Tagliatore, Spada, LBM1991, Boglioli, Beams and a couple of others. Some were new, some were from thrift stores/eBay.
Halo Michael, selamat datang ke SF!

Sinyo18

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just some random thoughts about me. I found this website a few weeks ago... very inspiring !
I wish I could say that I’ve always wanted to be a gentleman. I’ve always had pretty good manners. But it wasn’t like that. It was initially something that started with work, needing some key pieces for the office Monday through Friday.

This was in the early 2000’s where it was impossible to find a nice fitting, crisp white dress shirt that wasn't massively huge with way too much fabric. Darts ? What’s that ? Trim fit? Never heard of it.

For a few years I’d collect a few pieces about once a month it seems. It was more of background noise. Not a concerted attempt, really. A nice wool vest here, thrift shop score there. Save up for a killer pair of single monks from a retailer in Seattle. And after a while – with some tweaking I’d make all the pieces work pretty well.

But something else was ; and still is happening. I’d find myself noticing what I called ‘The Slop’.
The Slop is the guy in the workplace who just can’t/won’t get out of his high school days – baseball caps, baggy pants, sloppy t-shirts. It is literally on every corner in Seattle. In every store. The Slop is everywhere. Folks who never put the 30 seconds of effort to stop and think about their clothes. Maybe it’s a sociology experiment, who knows, maybe were all hurried, caffeine fueled to the point of disconnect from self? Maybe people just don’t own mirrors anymore and run out of the house blindly. Trust me, I've been there.

And by choosing to dress differently from that, I am, by proxy choosing to stand out. In Seattle – if you dress well, you will stand out. It’s inevitable. And it’s not even a bad thing. I'm not about some pompousness, or some such nonsense. Hey I don't own a Brooks Brother suit. But I get compliments from men and women.

The people at my work don’t question as much anymore- that’s just me. No I don’t have a job interview. No I don’t have a wedding, or a funeral, or a court hearing. (?). It’s just that I have a closet full of this stuff now and I’m going to rock it.

Huzzah !

RJG
Rock on indeed!

dangerous

Reaction score
Hey!

Getting seriously into shoes so figured I'd sign up at the largest forum on the net. Oliwer (Oliver?) of Skoaktiebolaget suggested me to sign up and be active to learn more about GMTO:s and stuff, so here I am!

Reaction score
Good day!

My name is Thomas. Have been coming to this community for answers for the past year or so, but only signed up today. My interest in high end clothes is exactly in line with my interest in high end alcohol. This combination makes for one broke college student.

Recently pulled the trigger on a pair of Tricker's Stow country boots which pushed me to sign up and join the community here! Don't hesitate to send me any messages if you want to.

Cheers,

mrjamescost

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good day!

My name is Thomas. Have been coming to this community for answers for the past year or so, but only signed up today. My interest in high end clothes is exactly in line with my interest in high end alcohol. This combination makes for one broke college student.

Recently pulled the trigger on a pair of Tricker's Stow country boots which pushed me to sign up and join the community here! Don't hesitate to send me any messages if you want to.

Cheers,
May I ask what colour stow boots you went for? I hope you didn’t pay full price as an impoverished student. There are all kinds of discounted boots on their website and trickersoutlet.com for near half price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads