Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Introduce yourself.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LA Guy, Aug 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. PerfectSkin

PerfectSkin New Member

Hi,

I'm in the industry, I'm a NYC based designer who came to menswear late. I joined to learn about & gain some insight into menswear as over the last 10 years or so my customer base has done a 180 from womenswear to menswear. (I design and make custom-made leather clothing) I've found I enjoy creating men's wear much more than women's wear. Overall guys seem much more discerning and less hung up on Label for Label's sake. They know and understand quality and fit much better than the majority of women I have dealt with and I guess it's because the ideal of having something made or tailored to fit has never disappeared from the masculine style lexicon. The idea of investing in a piece that will take them through years, as opposed to instant gratification and a single seasons wear seems more the norm than not. As a craftsman I appreciate this tremendously. I also realize there is always more to learn!

2. JRF

JRF Member

Good Morning Sinyo18, yes, I would agree with you on O.C. being a fashionable region in S.C., I remember my drives out to O.C., in the 80's and I was very impressed with its infrastructure and obvious overall prosperity. Awe, yes the ladies... That alone right there is enough to make a switch. I'm in the middle of my 1-year lease, so I'll have to hang here for a while, which is OK as the weather is pretty awesome. The thing about S.D. is that it's not a very sophisticated city. Not that I'm Joe sophistication, but I know what I like and am attracted to, still, its served a purpose for me to reconnect with myself. As for the distance from where I am today, it's really just too far of a destination to make on a regular weekly basis.

Yes, L.A., I lived there for 5 years, in Encino, right off Ventura Blvd. while I tirelessly worked to get my career off the ground in menswear. Those were some of the best years of my life as I made huge leaps in the industry. So, Sinyo18, can I ask you what you do? I would guess is that you're in the financial services sector based on your knowledge of better fashion neighborhoods in S.C., as for me, I'm not working for anyone at the time, but would like to get my fashion illustration skills to a much higher level than before, and see where that takes me.

3. now

now New Member

Hi! I am Enoch. Nice to meet you all!

hope to have a lots of small talk in this forum.

4. JRF

JRF Member

Hey, Enoch, I'm very new here too. Interesting name. Actually, I just ordered the Book of Enoch from my local library, I'm anxious to read it. – JRF

5. Steve Owen

Steve Owen Member