1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Introduce yourself.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LA Guy, Aug 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. jsal022811

jsal022811 New Member

Hi all. I'm John. I love the classic menswear look and I love to add a touch of funky to it. Meaning I love the classic look but I like to give it that funky look by adding colors and accessories. I prefer to buy made in USA clothing and shoes. Also I participate in Crossfit so I have a hard time finding good pants from suit pants all the way to jeans, that aren't too tight around my thighs. That's my main struggle with pants these days. If their are any threads for made in USA pants please advice me!!! I'm 35 years young. Also I wear suits 2-4xs a week!! I'm looking for some made in USA chinos. If their are any threads for that please send me those threads also!!

2. ChrisBP

ChrisBP New Member

Hi,all. I am in my mid-twenties, and I work in precious metals trading.

I started to think about dressing myself better over a year ago, and that's when I found SF. Every month or so I binge the forums for days, and currently I am badly longing for all them sexy shell cordovan boots.

Spent the last couple months gaining confidence in being able to walk into the Vass store and not spend my entire life's savings ... one day I will feel strong enough!

See you around here!

1 person likes this.
  3. spookie

spookie New Member

Hello. Middle aged guy from Stoney Creek, Ont. The wife and I like to travel and spend summers riding my motorcycle. I am in the process of upgrading my entire wardrobe and found this forum in my search of information on quality shoes. My focus will be shoe last/sizing advice. Recent buys are Meermin oxfords and C&J derby's.

4. TattooistTiger

TattooistTiger New Member

Hello, I am a guy from Hong Kong at my mid-30s. Work in the investment banking industry and I think there's a real need to dress up properly on work occasions. I think a decent grooming is essential for guys, but as a newbie in styling, I don't have much ideas how to pick a nice suit, or I have no idea how to dress up suits in a naturally presentable manner, not too pretentious and yet smart.

1 person likes this.
  5. gjk5

gjk5 Well-Known Member

Hi, David here.

I am 45, work in management in mortgage banking (but in the Rockies, so pretty casual). Married 19 years, two almost teen girls. Lurked here for a while for researching purchases and decided to join.

I decided to get my fat ass in shape and stop dressing like so much of a fuddy dad a year or so ago. Still learning and working on it.... Still pretty conservative fashion wise, jeans/ wool slacks or flannels, button downs and sport coat or blazer most days. Rarely wear a tie to work.

Basically I am purging my wardrobe of bargain clothes and shoes that look fine for where I live and work and trying to take it up a notch. We go to NYC once a year and travel to other places (England, Scotland past couple of years and Ireland this summer), I was certainly not up to par for any of these places.....

Main reason I joined now is all of the great input and I am going to start buying better shoes and need input for buying AE's online.

6. DaveCPA

DaveCPA Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I'm Dave. I'm a late-20s accountant, specializing in consulting in the financial industry. In 2015 I lost almost 40 pounds and had to start replacing my wardrobe, so I decided to start trying to upgrade some things.

I stumbled on the forum when searching for info on some AE shoes that I ordered this weekend. There was lots of good info, so I decided to join. Looking forward to absorbing lots of good information!

7. savvas

savvas Member

Hi my name is Steve and I'm from the UK. Just found this forum and started posting so thought I would introduce myself. Until a couple of years ago I had zero interest in clothes and mainly used to wear jeans and a fleece. Not sure what started it but as I'm approaching 50 I thought I should start dressing better. I found the Grey Fox blog which gave great inspiration and my interest has taken off from there. I'm enjoying my journey to find my ideal style, had a few missteps on the way but that is all part of the learning process. I'm lucky as there are quite a few good charity shops near where I live and I've picked up some great stuff. The quality of the vintage clothes I've got is so much better than the stuff you get on the high street these days and I'm enjoying giving it a new lease of life. Looking forward to contributing and learning from you guys.

8. Brookston

Brookston Member

Hello,

I'm Brookston. I'm interested in dressing like an adult. After turning thirty, my hoodies made me feel like this:[​IMG]

I've been lurking for a few weeks, reading the forums and trying to learn. It's a bit like drinking from a fire hose though. Hard to go from dressing like a slob to dressing well, but this forum is helping.

I also enjoy thrifting. Lately, I'd been finding really nice shoes, but never in my size. I decided on a whim to buy a pair anyways, and see what would happen if I put them on ebay. I got lucky and my 5 dollar find from Goodwill sold for 61 bucks! That felt good, so now I'm also interested in learning which are desirable brands.

(Goodwill Shoes) <---- link to my lucky shoe find

Nice to meet you all.

1 person likes this.
  9. lawsuit

lawsuit Member

Hello all,my name is Peter and I hail from CT, USA. I work in the legal field so I need to wear formal clothing. I also like to stay current in fashion. Whenever I've Googled fashion questions this forum often pops up.

10. matthewcoon

matthewcoon New Member

Hi, I'm Matthew. I'm interested in avant-garde style. Unfortunately, my budget is very limited so I find myself scrounging grailed nonstop to find affordable stuff. I also like to thrift clothing and tailor it to my liking. I'm 17 years old. Looking forward to meeting you guys !

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  11. kalix

kalix New Member

I'm James, from United States

12. MightyDigits

MightyDigits Member

Hi, Roddy here. I live in The Netherlands and am still a student (environmental science). I love classic menswear and have a weakness for shoes like a lot of other people.

13. madhat

madhat Member

I'm Wesley. Dressing nice is a hobby of mine, but between being in HVAC technical sales (don't want to was bespoke as dealing with contractors and field visits) and stingy my collection isn't quite the quality I'd like. Though my retail therapy usually ends me up with a growing shoe/shirt/bow tie collection. Joined the forum after hanging around the AE threads.

You'll typically see me in a dress shirt and bow tie, with a blazer in cooler weather. Otherwise, I'll likely be in my running gear!

14. egluck3

egluck3 Active Member

I'm Elie. I live in Los Angeles. I love wearing a suit and tie and wear one to work even though it isn't necessary. I take after my father in liking fashion but always have to remind myself that I make a fraction of what he currently makes. Since I can't spend thousands on a suit, I go with Suitsupply suits, AE shoes, typically a white button down, and then pair it with nice ties. I'll spend on ties as I thoroughly enjoy a nice tie collection.

When not working, I enjoy Levi's and a t-shirt or casual button down with a blazer/sport coat. Generally want to learn whatever I can here about menswear.

15. WeAreLuxury

WeAreLuxury Member

16. USMCQuantico

USMCQuantico New Member

I'm Rudy. I now live in Columbia, MO; I have lived in many foreign countries and most of the US states. I grow up wearing a suit and tie starting in grammar school, it continue during military school and continued wearing them during my military career and at my civilian work since it was necessary.

My late wife was a very fashion conscientious lady, she was in Europe for 18 years, working with the US military as a civilian, on military protocol. She was a wonderful lady, well educated and very accomplished; I spent the happiest days of my life with her!

When I married my late wife, it was our second marriage for both of us. After I married her; I have to dispose of all my suits (they were not conservative enough), since she didn't feel it was appropriate for my present position, I had study Tax Law and I was the head of the Tax Department. We went to St. Louis, New York City and other major cities to acquire my new clothing; we visit Newman Marcus, Rogers,Peet & Co., Brooks Brothers (I was a customer of the last two shops, since acquiring my first USMC uniforms), etc. My wife teach me never to wear a suit more than once a month, each suit had its own ties.

After I retired several years ago, I enjoyed wearing athletic clothing, once in a while Levi's and a sports shirt while enjoying my retirement, except when we went to Church,out to dinner or visiting.

17. GClub1866

GClub1866 Active Member

Hi all

My name is Nick, I'm from England in my 30, married but no children.....as of yet.

Growing up i wanted 2 things, a Peugeot 205 GTi... very much a UK car i believe and whatever job i did to be able to wear a suit.

Fortunately for me as i grew up my taste in cars got better but i did manage to get a job where i can wear a nice suit on a daily basis.

Currently i'm based in the Southwest of England but do get to spend a lot of time in London as well. I'm very fortunate to say I've traveled a lot of the world and seen some amazing sites and met some amazing people along the way.

Working on building a brand around GClub1866 which seems to be going alright. Always up for giving some advice but interested to get involved with a load of like minded people around fashion and anything gentlemanly.

Thanks for reading
    Nick

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  18. Luca1979

Luca1979 New Member

Hello everyone, this is Luca from Italy.
    Found a lot of cool reads on this forum so registering was so obvious!
    Cheers!

19. repete66219

repete66219 Active Member

Greetings gents! I'm Pete and I live in the Kansas City area. Since hitting my 40s I've become more refined in my hobbies--audio/home theater, fountain pens, wet shaving. Mainly here for the shoes, thank you very much. Looking forward to learning all I can.

20. rocketshave

rocketshave New Member

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking forward to checking out this forum. I'm a father of 3. I've been married for 19 years. I own my own company called Rocket Shave and sell high end shaving razors. I'm also a R&D Manager for a high end RC Car company. I've worked for the RC Car company for 21 years. My Rocket Shave company is new and I use my experience in my RC Car industry to help me build my own business.

Thanks for reading!