1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Introduce yourself.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LA Guy, Aug 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. johnwesley

johnwesley New Member

Been browsing this forum for a few years and decided to join up. Like raw denim, boots and leather jackets.

2. stellz23

stellz23 New Member

Hey!! I'm new here and I hope to stay here for a long time. Let's have a great time here!!

3. Mistraldpec

Mistraldpec Member

Hi everyone, very happy to joint the Styleforum which I episodically follow because I know some of your members (also members of our French forum De Pied en Cap - DPEC) either virtually or physically, and I might have popped up in one photo of E-F-V's reviews of Pitti 89 during day 4.

I hope I can contribute, and will start if I can by publishing in the WIWT thread !

Cheers,

Romain - Mistral

4. MadelineSewing

MadelineSewing New Member

Hello! I am Madeline, a Romanian living in Wantage, Oxfordshire, 30 minutes away from Oxford. I started my Clothing Alterations business here not long ago, after working in my studio in Romania for the last 6 years :) I have to admit most of my costumers were ladies, so first of all I am a dressmaker. I have studies in Fashion Styling too, I love that part of Fashion :) I am here for my business to be more visible first of all, and second I want to learn tips and tricks for Men Styling :)

My website is: www.madelines-sewing-studio.co.uk

I hope I didn't break any rules with my post :)

Thanks!
    Madeline

5. Diego65

Diego65 Well-Known Member

Hi! I´m Diego.
    I´m really happy to join this forums, I like too much know about shoes and mens wear.
    I have the desire of share my experience and know about yours about classic menswear.
    Now i live in Birminghan, but I born in Barcelona, Spain.
    Thanks in advance and I hope the best for everyone.
    Kind Regards
    Diego

6. Rekch

Rekch New Member

Hi,
    i'm new here, i'm french and i lik video games, manga, fashion, guns, hi-fi and many more things
    been browsing this site for months, now i want to participate :)
    have a good day

7. FengTwo

FengTwo New Member

Sup, i literally just joined up to chase a coat i've been after for a while, and to give myself a much needed boost in the fashion sense. I'm american, am an artist, and am an avid firearms hobbyist. I also enjoy a good fantasy novel and a night in the mountains.

8. Anxiety

Anxiety New Member

Hi guys,

I'm George (Anxiety) I'm new to this forum as I was recommended to join by a friend.

My names Anxiety for a simple reason, and that's because I used to suffer from severe anxiety! I believe it's OK to talk about mental health. So if anyone else suffers, reply to me!

Looking forward to getting involved with all the style related topics!

Best

G

[​IMG]

9. Tabellio

Tabellio New Member

Hello all.

Another newbie here. I am a lawyer, from Spain, and interested in shoes and all menswear and classic british style.

Kind regards

Tabellio

10. DanielBA

DanielBA Member

Hola y bienvenido!!!

11. PipeNLoafers

PipeNLoafers New Member

Hello Guys,

Excited to finally sign up to SF.

I'm a London-based academic consultant and accessories designer.

I plan on contributing to the threads within classic menswear and whatever else presents itself.

Look forward to getting acquainted as time progresses.

Kind Regards,

PNL

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  12. Pedro Moreira

Pedro Moreira Member

Hello to the Forum,

I'm Pedro Moreira, I am a portuguese lawyer, 42 years old and I have an interest on male fashion (my father was a tailor). I am always looking to discover new brands and get style advice. That's why after stumble upon your forum, I decided to join to learn and share my (little) experience with other members. I am also here to buy and sell (mostly to buy)

A little more about me and my wardrobe, I have a soft spot for Pal Zileri, Ermenegildo Zegna, Cerruti (classic and casual), Hugo Boss (jeans), La Perla (boxers), Xacus (shirts), Valentino and Carolina Herrera jumpers, Canali and Lanvin ties.

Concerning shoes, I do like Lottusse shoes (despite not being a high end brand such as Magnanni, Carlos Santos, Berlutti, John Lobb, Suttor Mantelassi, Paolo Scafora or Church, just to mention a few) because it's what I can afford and they do the job quite well.

There are brands that I hope to buy someday, such as Tom Ford, Zilli, Cesare Attolini, Stefano Ricci, Kiton, William Hunt, Charvet and a few more.

That's about it.

Regards,
    Pedro

13. litea11111

litea11111 New Member

Hello to all!

I am James and I'm very happy to have signed up for this forum. I am currently a newbie in mens style, still learning the ropes. I am currently a student at the age of 20.

Hoping to learn as much as I can on mens classic style, as well as potentially helping others in my community!

Thank you!

Regards,
    James

14. Scelerat

Scelerat Well-Known Member

Curious near reversal, in that my son, who is English, lives in Barcelona.

1 person likes this.
  15. Rogerdoger

Rogerdoger Active Member

BAM! first time poster long time lurker. From the great white north, true north strong and free eh!

Mid 30's 2 kids. Love my raw denim from 3sixteen and my Viberg boots. Fok is the man BTW!

Cheers

1 person likes this.
  16. animefans

animefans New Member

Hi all
    A 40 something with 3 kids just discover fashion about 2 months ago
    Before this, I mostly wear technical fleece and merino sweatershirts, with fairly boxy fits
    Arcteryx
    Marmot
    Columbia
    Ice Breaker
    and the like

I live in San Francisco Bay Area, so now is a good time to stock up on cold gears

I am pretty much start from scratch for my wardrobe, from jeans to chinos, OCBD to henley, boots/derby/sneakers, and jackets

I think I like workwear style more than anything else, but who knows, I may find something different down the road

Nice to meet all of you, virtually

K.K.

1 person likes this.
  17. muleties

muleties New Member

Hello everyone,

I am the owner of a company Mule Ties - www.muleties.com where we create a fusion of art and fashion with our neckwear. I am the owner of the company but I always love learning about fashion. My big goal is to write a book around the men's fashion industry, not quite sure the exact title but I have a good idea. :)

I would like to engage with the group and learn from all you fashion experts. I would love to hear from you and if I can be of any value for any of you thinking of starting a store feel free to reach out. I look forward to learning and engaging with the group.

Cheers,
    Terry

1 person likes this.
  18. plebean

plebean New Member

hey guys! first started my account in 2008 but didn't properly register it until today! [​IMG]
    I'm a guy in his 30s living between LA & NY, single w/ a serious gf. Full disclosure, I work for a men's fashion brand here in Beverly Hills called Franc Milton (francmilton.com). We do made-to-measure suits out of china and bespoke/custom suits out of italy.

used to dress kind of trad and preppy when i lived in ohio, went to a more "james dean meets english farmer" look in seattle, and now dress in minimal, fashion inspired classic menswear here in LA. I love sleek and proper with a rakish bent. excited to officially be a part of the community after close to a decade of lurking!

1 person likes this.
  19. MrLau8999

MrLau8999 Member

Hello Fellow Styleforum Members!

I live in Hong Kong S.A.R., China.

Male.

I'm 17 currently.

Middle-Class (relative)

Ultimately want to help my country (China & Taiwan) and also help the betterment of Southeast Asia.

In a few years after I complete my political education in Japan, I wish to do my very best to help unify North & South Korea by appealing to cultural closeness, and afterwards focus on the Mainland/Taiwan disunity problem.

I realize the value of soft politics, and want to set a good example for my fellow countrymen/women.
    Sartorially speaking, I admire the style of the Republican Period China (民国时期) and the 1910-1960 elegant period of menswear.

My mother is a prolific designer of Qipao/Cheongsam (旗袍/长衫) and designs for herself. She has a vast collection of these dresses which number over 2000 individual dresses, each worn only once, and this collection is growing steadily. All of them bespoke commissions. Because Hong Kong bespoke prices are half or less than those of Saville Row, in addition to being convenient, it is also cost effective to build personal style (relatively speaking, because 1500-2000 USD for a commission is considered a large amount in HK, especially since we have a cultural value of frugality).

Personally, I appreciate but don't follow super-count wool fabrics (super 150s, 200s, 300s, etc). I prefer the more "frugal" English Flannels, and prefer suiting with a "furry" appearance, e.g. Melange/Tweed/Flannel/etc.

I believe suits that are too flashy undermine the values of Chinese culture, and therefore look for an elegant medium that is neither overtly flashy or overtly sloppy. To overdo/underdo is easy, but this medium is difficult to find, and is different for everyone.

I admire the Black Fleece line of Brooks Brothers, and most pieces in my current wardrobe are Black Fleece (bought on discount of course).

My current existing wardrobe (as of 2016) has no bespoke items (only OTR/RTW), and consists of (all full-canvas unless stated otherwise):

1. Black Tie 2-button Wool Barathea Silk Grosgrain Notch Lapel Tuxedo (Black Fleece)

2. Black Tie Single-Breasted Hidden Placket Silk Dupioni Grosgrain Notch Lapel Overcoat (Black Fleece, to match Tuxedo)

3. Vintage Russet Brown Single-Breasted 1-button Silk Velvet Dinner Jacket with Shawl Lapel (Johns & Pegg Bespoke
    Commission, bought in excellent condition 2nd hand after Brexit, made in the late 1950s to early 1960s)

4. Black/Grey Check w/ Pink Accent 3-roll-2 Notch Lapel Tweed Sport Coat (Black Fleece)

5. Brown 2-button Melange Tweed Notch Lapel Sport Coat (Black Fleece)

6. Navy Flannel Notch Lapel 2-button Suit with Grey/Red/Grey Thin Stripe (Black Fleece)

7. Navy with White Chalk-Stripe Wool/Cashmere/Mink Flannel 3-roll-2 Notch Lapel Suit (Black Fleece)

8. Cream/Brown/Coffee 3-roll-2 Linen Sport Coat (Black Fleece, unlined)

9. Khaki Double Breasted Cotton Gabardine Trench Coat (Black Fleece)

+ an assortment of 200+ Neckties/self-tie Bow-ties, around 100 OCBD shirts (all Black Fleece), 1 Black Tie Backless Silk Vest in V&A Lattice Pattern, and 30 pairs of odd trousers (Corduroy, Cotton Velvet, Cotton Flannel, Irish Linens, Cotton Twill, etc), and domestically produced silk socks/underpants with Xinjiang long-staple cotton undershirts.

Am contemplating bespoke commissions in October-November this year in time for December, and want to update wardrobe with double breasted drape-cut suits, raglan sleeve suits, etc.

I own a vintage steel dress watch made by Jules Jurgensen in the 1950s-1960s; thin, Caiman Strap, and 30x30mm square (I have thin wrists!)

I admire the illustrations of Esquire Menswear in the 1910-50 period, and I hope to gain the same classic elegance of those Golden Periods.

Producers/Companies on my radar:

- Swaine Adeney Brigg (Luggage and Silk-Canopy Umbrellas)
    - Lockwood Umbrellas (Cotton Canopy Umbrellas)
    - Globetrotter (Luggage)
    - Lock & Co. (Hats)
    - Brooks Brothers Black Fleece (OTR/RTW)
    - Brooks Brothers Own Make (OTR/RTW)
    - Fox Flannels (Fabric)
    - Hardy Minnis (Fabric)
    - Huddersfield Fine Worsteds (Fabric)
    - Victoria & Albert Museum (Inspiration from Archives/Bespoke Fabric)
    - Gordon Yao (Bespoke)
    - The Merchant Fox (Fabric/OTR)
    - Anderson & Sheppard (OTR)
    - Frederick Scholte (Old Patterns from V&A, Assistance for Bespoke Tailor)
    - Turnbull & Asser (Shirts/OTR/Underwear)
    - Budd (Shirts/OTR)
    - Charvet (Shirts)
    - William Abraham (Socks)
    - Pye派 (Shirts, Undershirts)
    - Edward Green (Shoes)
    - Albert Thurston (Braces)
    - New & Lingwood (OTR)
    - Darcy Clothing (Detachable Collars)

That's all I can think of for now... this database may be of help to some of you that are new to menswear and want to get started!

I believe in no polyester/synthetics, and I strongly urge others to take upon this pledge; synthetics are bad for the environment, and they are itchy, uncomfortable, and unable to replicate the luxury of natural materials (Cotton-Spandex is incomparable to WISICA Sea Island Cotton, for example).

My mother set an example for me to dress well, and that habit has carried on until now, regardless of what the majority think.
    I believe in a good impression and living life to the fullest, a moralistic mindset, and dressing the part is part of the game.

I encourage all members new and old to stay true to their culture and principles, and to adopt dressing modestly but elegantly in order to ease some of the pressure that this *cruel* world places on our shoulders!

I also encourage all to adopt a larger budget for their wardrobe, for dressing well is an investment, no different from property, equities, gold, or a car.

Bye for now!

1 person likes this.
  20. alexalexf

alexalexf New Member

Hi all -- I am Alex and I have a deep love for Italian leather, boots of any kind, and athleisure. I don't post much, but am excited about the community and to see new styles. Born and bred in California, SF native. Hoping to see some new brands and styles on here.

Thanks -- AF