Introduce yourself.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LA Guy, Aug 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. B-Rogue

B-Rogue Well-Known Member

Greetings all. Male 36 year old here from UK. Hope to enjoy my time here and thank you in advance to all of you who I am sure will give me great advice throughout my stay. Cheers.

2. Dean Collins

Dean Collins Member

Howdy, new to the forum.

A friend of Stanley Van Buren and one finally in a position to buy nice things.

Lend me your knowledge!

3. yrehedaj

yrehedaj New Member

Hello guys,

Excited to be a member on this forum and looking forward to a wonderful new experience with styleforum.

Cheers.

4. ColmDawson

ColmDawson Senior member

Hi, I'm a 22-year-old student and English language teacher from Ireland. Looking forward to being able to post links without moderator approval.

5. vinoTHEM

vinoTHEM Member

Hey All,

I always had a fascination in finding affordable apparel and making it look good. After experiencing the retail life as a former employee of Urban Outfitters, I started to develop a sense of forecasting specific trends. Once I called it quits as a sales rep, I started to have an open-mind when it came to trying new styles. Now, I'm willing to share my tips and learn newer trends through this forum.

Glad to be a member!

6. fidelis

fidelis New Member

hello, i'm fidelis.

i dress casual for work -its more appropriate and my wardrobe lacks- but from time to time i get to take it up a notch. this site has always been helpful so i thought to join in on the fun but i have a lot to learn.

7. franrg

franrg New Member

Regards from Barcelona. I need to wear suit for work purpose though I like to add my personal touch.
    I've signed in because I have seen some offers on the market... Anyway I have been following the forum for a while. Very useful.

8. Israelight

Israelight New Member

I'm Benjamin,

I live in the East Bay area of northern California. I have a wife and a 3-year-old. My fashion tastes have changed recently as my wife has encouraged me to dress younger. Till now I've worn only suits, slacks, dress shoes, and I have an addiction to dress shirts. Now I combine jeans and vans in the lower body with dress shirts, cardigans, and sport coats in the upper body. I like the new look, but I still think there's nothing better than a great looking suit!

Thanks for reading,
    Benjamin

9. twood81

twood81 New Member

Hi all,

I'm a 32 year old man living in New England. I recently became interested in dressing like a proper adult and came across this site through Put This On. I've been lurking for awhile and found the site to be a great resource.

Cheers,
    Tom

10. heavyhoody

heavyhoody Active Member

Hello all. My name is Matt and I live in West Chester, Pennsylvania. I'm married, have a 13 year old daughter and work for UPS. I'm nothing fancy by any means. I'm happy with button shirts, jeans, and boots. I own some White's, red wing, and a few made in England Docs that I wear. I also have a little collection of vans vault. I have always loved men's fashion and boots. Hoping to learn a lot on here.

11. DrThrift

DrThrift New Member

I'm Chris, 25 years of age. Originally from Malaysia, now making a living in Australia as an ED doctor. Drives an old E39, stalls occasionally

12. pinkpanther

pinkpanther Senior member

Hello to all,

I have been lurking on the CM threads for a while and thought I'd join. Not sure if I will post all that much other than the occasional picture of a Sam Hober tie as I have acquired quite a number over the last few months.

I am a 40-something living in Atlanta (East Cobb specifically). My workplace is casual but I have taken to wearing suits (generally) or odd jackets & ties (occasionally). I definitely stand out in the office but I am comfortable with that and I am high enough in the organization so that I don't catch much flak. My boss and the CEO seem to appreciate my "effort" to provide an example of better dress.

I don't abide by all the guidelines that I have read about here (and other places) and am continuing the process of developing my own style. I am not drawn to plain suits or shirts but I do like plain ties. I like dress shoes of all colors and styles.

Thanks for letting me join your community.

Cheers

13. ryansto

ryansto Well-Known Member

Hello all,

My name is Ryan. I live near St. Louis, Missouri (Illinois side). I'm 27 and have been in the fashion industry since high school. My weaknesses are shoes and watches, much to my wife's displeasure. [​IMG]

14. Stiva

Stiva Senior member

Double post.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  15. Stiva

Stiva Senior member

Greetings to my fellow forum members. I have been lurking/researching for about a year now. I live in the tropics in the Southern Hemisphere. I have just turned 50. I have been happily married for 25 years (to the same woman) - but still have a laugh at the WYHI and the WYM threads. I have three children aged 22, 20 and 18, who are the apples of my eye - but all thankfully attending university interstate. I have long had an interest in clothing, but only recently in the technical detail of classic menswear. I read a study somewhere - maybe on his forum - which concluded that a man's interest in and expenditure on quality clothing peaks at age 50. That is consistent with my experience. In order to avoid repeating myself, I will simply reproduce my first post on this forum from two days ago, as follows:-

This is my first post on styleforum, and I make it because I suspect you are in the same position I was about six months ago. I was scheduled to go to HK for other reasons, and I decided to have some suits made while I was there. Although I knew that HK was good value in terms of the price:quality ratio, I didn't have the necessary knowledge of fabrics, tailors, silhouettes or fit to direct the process with any confidence.

Although I first had bespoke suits made in 2007, I was lucky enough to stumble upon a good tailor and had a good experience without really understanding the details. This time around I decided to research the topic of classic menswear. I found there are many valuable online resources including, to name a few, Permanent Style, A Suitable Wardrobe, Die Workwear and London Lounge (for the more advanced and staid). I found styleforum to be the most valuable of these for its combination of historical grounding, range, expert commentary and interactivity. Thanks largely to these sites, I went into the process reasonably well informed, I had three suits made by three different HK tailors, and I was happy with all three results.

You should be aware that a question in the terms you have posted would generally either be ignored or be met with the suggestion that you should search the previous posts in which the matter of tailoring in HK has received extensive treatment. This is fair enough, as a lot of knowledgeable people have expended a significant amount of time and effort to record their experiences, and it is simply too tiresome to repeat that in response to every new and uninformed question on the same topic. But, as I said at the outset, I have some empathy/sympathy for your position.

Should you choose to browse, you may wish to take particular note of the following posters, amongst others.

The educators/purists/intellectuals (and in my experience the most instructive, whatever your taste or philosophy might be): Manton, mafoofan.

The exemplars: voxsartoria, iammatt, whnay, maomao, Baron.

The iconoclasts: Doc Holliday, edmorel, dopey, Label King, gdl, Victor, oldog, Moo, Goomba, nildawg, Eustace, Phat Guido, New York Ranger/Islander (is this the same person?).

The more "exotic": NORE, NOBD, Spoo, etc.

Also, before you go any further read: http://www.throughtherye.com/flusser/index_current.html

The best posts I have read on this particular topic (ie going to a tailor in HK rather than the HK tailor going to you), are by slewfoot circa 2010. There is also an excellent series of 3 comparison articles by Jonathan Lai on A Suitable Wardrobe.

As you have mentioned full canvassing and hand stitching, I presume you are looking at the mid to high end of the HK tailoring spectrum, and suits rather than shirts. At the risk of gross oversimplification:-

Best HK high end approx US$1200-2200 (depending on house and fabric): WW Chan, A-Man Hing Cheong, Gordon Yao, Y William Yu.

Best HK midrange approx US$600-700 (and my choice at this price point): Peter Lee of Lee Baron. Maybe Roger Concept.

Regards
    Stiva