• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Intro to Jazz??

Gatsby

Reaction score
In a nutshell, I want to listen to, learn more about, appreciate, and engage in (i.e., go to live performances of) Jazz, without looking like a completely poser. Like many, I've listened to Jazz, but more as interior backdrop music. Does anyone out there have any CD/performer/book recommendations, or can point to a decent site that has good basic knowledge? In particular I want to know more about leading present day performers and good lives to attend. My goal isn't to learn the intricacies of musicality, improvisation, etc., but to grasp the greater landscape of important jazz works, artists, and more importantly WHY they were/are important.

Any help would be much appreciated..

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gatsby: Anyone who listens to jazz (or music, in general) will tell you that Miles Davis's Kind of Blue is probably the best jazz record ever. You MUST have it. And, John Coltrane's stuff is terrific. He played with Miles for a while. Today, the Marsalises (Wynton and Branford) are excellent. They also do classical works. Keith Jarrett. Stan Getz. Joe Pass. Kenny Burrell. John Abercrombie. Pat Metheny. Richie Beirach. Bill Frist. Jan Garbarek. Paul Winter's ECM stuff. Oregon. So many more. Enjoy.

yanks2182

Reaction score
There's a great website www.allaboutjazz.com. It has a forum, some jazz guides, and a special section devoted to the beginning listener. There are many types of jazz. It might help to determine if you like a certain instrument being the lead instrument in the ensemble. Another great beginner jazz album is "Time Out" by the Dave Brubeck quarter.

Buster

Reaction score
for some contemporary good jazz: Terence Blanchard will visit Tokyo at the end of August. One of best trumpeters (just went to a session in the Blue Note this weekend that was amazing).

I think "Kind of Blue" is kind of good entry point, but you will be probably more intrugued with albums from the second quintet when he played with Herbie and Wayne. John coltrane: start with " A Love supreme".

my 2cents.

B

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Miles Davis's Kind of Blue is probably the best jazz record ever. You MUST have it.
be high on my list of best record ever - and im not especially a jazz lover.

its amazing

ps - cool avatar gatsby

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Smithsonian put out a historical retospective (maybe 6 or 7 CDs) which is well worthwhile, and is periodically updated. From ragtime through ??? it gives a nice overview of jazz - obviously the genre is too broad and deep to be thoroughly covered by any sinlge collection, but it's a start. If you can find a copy Leonard Feather's 'Encyclopedia of Jazz', grab it. This will abe an invaluable resource as you discover new musicians and styles you enjoy listening to.

Buster

Reaction score
And I thought Gatsy wrote
In particular I want to know more about leading present day performers and good lives to attend

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gatsby said: "My goal isn't to learn the intricacies of musicality, improvisation, etc., but to grasp the greater landscape of important jazz works, artists, and more importantly WHY they were/are important." You need a historical perspective to achieve this, otherwise you're listening to leading present day performers in a vacum...

Eric

Reaction score
I'm also starting to listen to more jazz. Though the only thing I own is Gato Barbieri's "Complete Last Tango in Paris" soundtrack, which I love.

Eric

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
And I thought Gatsy wrote
Quote:
In particular I want to know more about leading present day performers and good lives to attend
Yes, he said "in particular". He also said he didn't want to look like poseur, and wanted an "introduction" to jazz. I don't really know about the usefulness of an introduction that doesn't discuss foundations and origins. And I figured he might actually want to listen to good jazz. But I could be wrong. Â
cool.gif
Get a couple of CDs by Don Stiernberg. He's not dead yet, so you can see him live. If you can find them live, worth seeing would be John Jorgenson, Angelo DeBarre, and Jimmy Rosenberg. I'd love to see Harmonious Wail and The Royal Garden Trio, but they're more localized.

Buster

Reaction score
It seems that all of you suffer from the same problem that tje Jazz documentary by Wynton Marsalis suffers (even tought it's a real gem): you fail to recognize the importance of the Jazz in the 60's to contemporary Jazz. Django (with all due respect) isn't as important for contemporary jazz as Miles, Art Blakey, Coltrane and Minugus. I am not saying that you have it explicitly, but that was the main theme of your posts. I think in order to have a full landscape you have to listen and know both (or most) streams, but it seems that your recommendations are somewaht stuck 80 years ago.

B

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eric: Another good one by Gato is his album with his version of Santan's Europa (Earth's Cry, Heavens weep; something like that).

Gatsby

Reaction score
Thanks to all for all the recommendations. I guess I was a little too general and specific at the same time... I obviously DO want the whole historical background and context but at the same time be able to be "˜up to date' with contemporary artists, etc. Essentially I feel like I'm in the boat where "I know enough to know that I know nothing."
tounge.gif
Anyway, everything here has been of great assistance. I actually just picked up "Kind of Blue" yesterday. Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but will definitely give it a spin tonight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads