Into vinyl records?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Artisan Fan, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

2. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Senior member

I'm not a collector-type, so this awesome.

3. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

How about that? I own many long playing albums. Some of the covers are fun. I have the Whipped Cream Tijuana Brass album. That's one of my favorites. Have many 45 sized recordings, too. And some 78 rpms.

Our old Fisher stereo, still gets plenty of use.

4. Bergdorf Goodwill

Bergdorf Goodwill Senior member

How cute, the same industry that periodically trots out new formats for the sake of it issuing mainstream vinyl again. That warm turntable sound will really squeeze the sonic beauty out of The Used. Viva downloaded .flac and death to this entire industry.

5. vaclava krishna

vaclava krishna Senior member

Warner is reissuing some classic titles:

www.becausesoundmatters.com

That vinyl, is saggy .

6. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

That vinyl, is saggy .

What do you mean?

7. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I'm not a collector-type, so this awesome.

Because you've been itching to pay $25 for a vinyl version of an album that you previously could have bought on vinyl for under $10 and still can probably get on CD new for $9-14 and less than that used?

I still have plenty of what I guess I should now refer to as "vintag" vinyl, but I'm afraid my gut reaction to this is similar to BG's.

8. vaclava krishna

What do you mean?

It's not, deep groove .

9. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

*even more confused*

koji

10. vaclava krishna

What do you mean?

Some is I see, 200 gram but, you can get it Neil Diamond, for $2 with gentle use.

11. Manny Calavera

Because you've been itching to pay $25 for a vinyl version of an album that you previously could have bought on vinyl for under $10 and still can probably get on CD new for $9-14 and less than that used? I still have plenty of what I guess I should now refer to as "vintag" vinyl, but I'm afraid my gut reaction to this is similar to BG's.
    I see nothing wrong with the bigger studios throwing money at vinyl. There's pretty much nothing I'm interested in on the site, however the boomers and hipsters will buy any shit that's on vinyl, which will hopefully convince them to expand the catalog. And there's a lot of old, OOP Warner that's impossible to find on CD or vinyl. Or mp3, for that matter.

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

They still make new vinyl records. There is a local store that sells extremely high-end stereo equipment and they also have various jazz selections from Mingus, etc.

They're about $55 each and $80 for a set of two.

13. Manny Calavera

They still make new vinyl records. There is a local store that sells extremely high-end stereo equipment and they also have various jazz selections from Mingus, etc.

Yeah, it's very much alive in the indie scene. Even Numero Group has started pressing their library onto vinyl. It's especially big in the avant-garde metal scene; I just sold a clear, 180g, limited pressing of the recent Earth re-release for $300.

I just don't see how this can be a bad thing. You don't have to buy it. There's a lot of OOP 60s soul I want, on Warner.

14. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Yeah, it's very much alive in the indie scene. Even Numero Group has started pressing their library onto vinyl. It's especially big in the avant-garde metal scene; I just sold a clear, 180g, limited pressing of the recent Earth re-release for $300.

I just don't see how this can be a bad thing. You don't have to buy it. There's a lot of OOP 60s soul I want, on Warner.

Yes, I always see some bands release limited edition vinyl pressings for new songs or albums.

15. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Ouch. I remember back when Rhino Records (they were just a used record store then, not a big fancy label) in Westwood used to have their semi-annual parking lot sale. Boxes upon boxes of used records, in no discernible order. A quarter per album and (iirc) a dime per 45. My friends and I would leave with boxes of albums, having spent like $12 (which, admittedly, was not such a paltry sum to us at the time). A bonanza if you were into once-popular '70's acts like, say, Pablo Cruise or Chicago. But a lot of great stuff as well, and occasionally something really cool, out of print and semi-rare. If nothing else, you could pick up lots of stuff you'd never give a try at regular prices. At $0.25 a pop, no loss if you only listened to it once. I'm pretty sure this is how I discovered, among others, John Fahey.