• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interview with Ari Gold

jbmarine

Reaction score
Hey all,

Well, my big break finally came and I was able to finagle myself an interview at a talent agency for an internship. Just wanted to know if I should wear a suit to the interview, and what you think I'll be wearing to the office everyday, should I be lucky enough to snag this.

(I did search, but only found info on what to wear to regular interviews and wanted to double check just in case I'm correct in assuming that show-biz attire is much different then that of a normal corporation.)

Thanks in advance!

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only difference that I would consider in this interview is that you can be a bit more liberal in the 'fashion' you decide to where. Absolutely where a suit. But it can be somewhat more modern... more nip in the waist, slimmer lapels, etc etc... But still toned down and not over the top or imposing. At a talent agency in LA the impression that you want to be able to convey is "I am aware of current trends in fashion, I employ them and do not look stodgy, but I also have discretion and class". And whatever you decide to where, make sure you were it, not the other way around.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Morris%20cut%20Rexmeets%2343E868.jpg

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black suit (I said Black), expensive designer shoes, white shirt, plain tie.

Look like you blend in, but also look the part of Hollywood. My friend's at the agencies all wear Hugo Boss-type suits. In H'wood, they don't care about fusing vs. hand-basted, they want to look sharp.

Also, if you are on the other side of desk - writer, actor - the less dressed up you are, they more power you wield.

jbmarine

Reaction score
Hmm. How about someone help me pick and choose?
n1064280324_30082259_705.jpg
n1064280324_30082262_3440.jpg
n1064280324_30082268_4439.jpg
Please note that all of the suits are single vented and in fine condition. There just happen to be spots on the lens of the camera. Also what type of shirt? Thanks so much for all of your help.
worship.gif

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The dark suit, red tie, white shirt. Unless that makes you look too much like a politician.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^Of above choices, I vote Navy suit and Paisley tie. Red and reps are too conservative, and you want to look like you have a canvas bag for Whole Foods in your Prius. Blue w/ dots too closely matches the suit.

pitboss12

Reaction score
I used to work in the same building that houses CAA in Los Angeles. At lunch I'd get to see the gamut from the guy in jeans, t-shirt, and loafers to the guy in the Boss suit.

For your purposes, I'd go with the navy suit, and the pink stripe tie next to the paisley.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Wear a suit. And you will wear a suit for work, most likely. I worked at one of the major agencies for a while and even the kids pushing the mail cart wore suits.

You will wear a suit everyday to work if you get the gig. Everyday.

jbmarine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pitboss12
I used to work in the same building that houses CAA in Los Angeles. At lunch I'd get to see the gamut from the guy in jeans, t-shirt, and loafers to the guy in the Boss suit.

For your purposes, I'd go with the navy suit, and the pink stripe tie next to the paisley.

Yeah, I really like both ties, though I haven't worn the paisley yet. Would the conservativeness of the reps be offset by the pink?

Originally Posted by farfisa23
You will wear a suit everyday to work if you get the gig. Everyday.

Wow. Honestly, I thought that it would be a bit less formal for me as I would only be an intern, but hey, looks like another plus for the job!
laugh.gif

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I vote gray suit (3rd pic), white shirt and paisley tie. As a second choice, I agree with pitboss (dark suit, pink striped tie, also with white shirt).

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jbmarine
Wow. Honestly, I thought that it would be a bit less formal for me as I would only be an intern, but hey, looks like another plus for the job!
laugh.gif

If they don't make you wear a suit, you're at the wrong agency. Where I'm repped, everyone is in a suit, makes me feel welcomed and proud to have them working for me. If my agent was wearing sneakers and jeans, I would have a lot less faith in him.

Go with the dark suit, though I think the 3/2 Roll is too trad for BH (if that's where you are going for the internship).

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^3/2 Roll is trad? I thought it was more of a fashion-forward italian thing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads