• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interview with Antonio Ciongoli of Eidos Napoli, Part 2

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Continuing from Part 1:

DI: What's your background and how did you get to where you are now? Where did your interest in design begin?

AC: I did my senior year of high school in Rome. And that's when I really discovered art history. Then when I got to college, I double majored in art history and communications. I really thought I was going to study art history. I was at Villanova, which is a great school, but the art history department wasn't great, and the communications department wasn't great. So I applied to transfer, and applied to a bunch of art history schools and communication schools. I got into the communication schools, and not the art history schools. So the decision was made for me. But my interest in art history has always found its way into what I do. Last season was about Florence and there were many references to art history in the collection.

Antonio at Pitti for Fall/Winter 2014 (I forgot to snap a portrait this time 'round).

When was out at USC, I started working designing skate shoes, since I grew up a skateboarder. I had a friend who grew up with some professional skateboarders, in particular one named Brian Wenning, who was a skateboarder for DC Shoes. So I ended up designing a shoe for him, and that was my first entry into [designing]. And I decided it was something interested in and wanted to go into.

I moved back east and spent about six months trying to get a design job without a degree in it and it wasn't happening. So I applied and was accepted at Parsons, and right before I had to send in my security deposit, I got an interview with Vineyard Vines to answer phones in call centers. I brought my portfolio with me to the interview and showed it to the person who was interviewing me. They brought people in to look at it, and they hired me. I was doing graphic design for a couple of months, then clothing, and by the end of it I was doing all the kids and men's and women's accessories.

From there I joined the design team at Rugby for Ralph Lauren. I was a cut and sew designer there for about two years, and then from there I went and worked as #2 in design at Michael Bastian for three years, and that's how I met the Isaia people. Michael and the Isaia people had been talking, and I met Agyesh Madan, who has since become one of my best friends, and who until recently was head of product development for Isaia, and got to know Jim [Shay, Isaia President] and Gianluca [Isaia]. I knew that they had had this other factory for the last 35 years. This was when Isaia was making a huge social media push, with the red Isaia pin everywhere. It seemed to me like there was a real opportunity for a brand that was all made in Italy, focused on quality, but that was targeted towards guys that were sartorially minded, but weren't ready for bespoke and and couldn't get to Isaia. But I wanted it to be a complete idea, not just an Isaia diffusion line. So I pitched them on the idea, and it's taken us a while to figure out how to do it, but this is what we landed on.

Last edited:

Viatu

Reaction score
I like what I see of Eidos. I wonder if it will be available in sizes for larger men.

leapyourbar

Reaction score
I feel like this whole #menswear movement is comprised of a lottttt of people who grew up on skateboarding. Great interview.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like this whole #menswear movement is comprised of a lottttt of people who grew up on skateboarding. Great interview.
That's actually not all that inaccurate. I wouldn't say that it's the majority of people, but a lot of people seem to have come to fashion via rather circuitous routes. It might just be modern careers, which, on average, change courses a lot more than they used to, ever.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That's cool, but when are we going to get hair styling tips from Antonio?

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

That's cool, but when are we going to get hair styling tips from Antonio?

Trainwreck tip number 1 - Stay out drinking with my brother, Salvatore Ambrosi, Phillip Carr, Andrew Seibert and the entire Armoury team until 4 in the morning. Pass out. Wake up 15 minutes before your appointments. Throw on some clothes and a cap and walk out the door.

Last edited:

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tip #2: if Andrew says "come on, just one drink!", proceed to write your name and your embassy phone number on your arm with a sharpie for when people find you passed out on the street the next morning on the other side of town.

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Tip #2: if Andrew says "come on, just one drink!", proceed to write your name and your embassy phone number on your arm with a sharpie for when people find you passed out on the street the next morning on the other side of town.

True Story.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife and I went out drinking on Day 2 of one Pitti. I was fine, but she was forgot to drink any whater, and drunk/hung over until about dinner the next day. She was supposed to be taking photographs, which is why the pictures for one day last year look like they were taken by someone standing on an old train.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's a mensch

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads