Interview wear

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by norcaltransplant, Feb 1, 2003.

1. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

This is my first post to the forum after being a lurker for the past three-four months. I'm interviewing for medical school in the next few weeks and was wondering about my appearance. My style is classic and conservative with a few pieces that my mother identifies as "foppish" (sp?). Here's what I have to work with:

Calvin Klein (white label) single breasted medium gray suit
    Silver/Black Coach belt with sterling silver french knots
    -or-
    Gold/Black Coach belt with gold plated french knots

1 white Barney's House Label French Cuff shirt
    w/ red, gold squared woven Pink tie
    -or-
    1 light gray Charles Twyhritt French Cuffs w/
    purple and silver interwoven tie

Moreschi Oxfords -or-
    I can change the belt to burgundy and go with a pair of contemporary Ferragamo Oxfords

The former is a bit more conservative, the later is a bit flashier. I was also thinking about investing in a nice charcoal or black tie with a silver or white design.

Anyone have any interview experience? From either prospective would be greatly beneficial. (I'm leaning towards the white shirt but don't want to appear TOO generic).

2. parsonsdb

parsonsdb Well-Known Member

3. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

NCT:

I think either outfit would be a great choice. The white shirt would be your standard, safe bet. And if you get up that day, and just don't feel like taking risks, go with that ensemble.

If, however, you're feeling a bit rakish, or want to stand out from the other interviewees a bit, but in an understated way, your 2nd outfit would be the way to go.

Or maybe wear the white/red for the schoool with the more conservative reputation, and the gray/purple for the one with that is known more for being on the cutting edge- affiliated with a research hospital for example.

Do you live in Northern California? If so, so do I, and can offer more direct help if need be- point you to some local stores and salespeople, etc.

4. BjornH

BjornH Senior member

I'm not sure that french cuffs are appropriate on this occation. Many people associate them with either "power dressing" or festive occations.

No matter what your personal style is, your clothing for this interview is a kind of a costume that you put on for it, opposed to a fashion statement. When you walk away they should remember your clothes as neat and buissnesslike, and preferably not be able to remember much more about them.
    You, and you abilities are the main thing so make sure your clothes make you feel comfortable and appropriate but do not distract your interviewers.

- A dull answer but hopefully helpful,

B

5. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

for some strange reason i thought this thread was about "Interview Underwear"

i was like, who the heck cares what type of underwear you wear during an interview???

nvm.

6. nmprisons

nmprisons Senior member

no french cuffs. they look arrogant. it is the one thing that irritates me (other than stupid shoes) when i interview someone. perhaps for a second interview or if it is a dinner interview, but certainly not otherwise.

7. luminosus

luminosus Active Member

no french cuffs. they look arrogant. it is the one thing that irritates me (other than stupid shoes) when i interview someone. perhaps for a second interview or if it is a dinner interview, but certainly not otherwise.

+1 I think in the US they might be perceived as too flashy, even though french cuffs are on almost every 'formal' shirt from British shirtmakers

8. merkur

merkur Senior member

9. hadamulletonce

hadamulletonce Senior member

I'm guessing this gentleman may have already graduated by now!

10. needshoehelp

needshoehelp Senior member

I'm guessing this gentleman may have already graduated by now!

And Board-Certified! [​IMG]

11. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Funny to read NCT's very first post, however.

12. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

And Board-Certified! [​IMG]

Not even close. If he was applying in 2003, he probably started in 2004. Assuming just 4 years and not the MD/PhD track, he should've just graduated. Now comes residency which is between 3-9 years, depeding on what he picks. He won't even come close to being board certified until he finishes residency.

13. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

He did just graduate, IIRC. Although I believe needshoehelp's post was not intended seriously.