Interview Thank-You Email

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by imschatz, May 26, 2011.

1. imschatz

imschatz Senior member

So, rocked a phone interview this afternoon. Interviewer said she's going to call next week to arrange for an inperson interview. Still send a Thank-You email?

2. dcg

dcg Senior member

Yes; reiterate your interest in the position and mention that you're looking forward to meeting in person.

3. thebac

thebac Senior member

Definitely.

As dcg said, this gives you an opportunity to reiterate your interest in the position.

Also, you can highlight/summarize reasons why you'd be a good fit for the position.

4. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

shows good character....just a simple thank you email...I wouldnt go into trying to sell yourself to them....thats what interviews are for...not thank you notes.

5. thebac

thebac Senior member

Fair point, you shouldn't go overboard in selling yourself in the thank you e-mail, but it's fine to reiterate your interest or list a big reason why you'd be a good fit.

You definitely shouldn't make it a cover letter/CV, and it might be a fine line.

If you're afraid you might overdo the selling part, it's definitely safer just to stick to the thanking the person for his/her time part.

shows good character....just a simple thank you email...I wouldnt go into trying to sell yourself to them....thats what interviews are for...not thank you notes.

6. dcg

dcg Senior member

I'm currently in the process of interviewing candidates for an opening. I've been surprised at how often I come out of phone screens without having been given the impression that the interviewee has a real interest in the job. Either it's just not a very interesting/enticing opportunity, or I have been interviewing total dipshits.

As mentioned above, short and to the point. Thanks for your time, *pick out some random topic from the phone screen to briefly comment on*, I'm interested and look forward to meeting face to face to discuss the position in greater detail.

7. pkblaze100

pkblaze100 Member

I'm currently in the process of interviewing candidates for an opening. I've been surprised at how often I come out of phone screens without having been given the impression that the interviewee has a real interest in the job. Either it's just not a very interesting/enticing opportunity, or I have been interviewing total dipshits.

As mentioned above, short and to the point. Thanks for your time, *pick out some random topic from the phone screen to briefly comment on*, I'm interested and look forward to meeting face to face to discuss the position in greater detail.

200% agree with DCG (extra 100% due to girlfriend looking over shoulder and agreeing as well

8. Jangofett

Jangofett Senior member

Well, thats because some of these employment or job agencies are suspect.

They would ask you a ton of questions about your qualifications and experience but when you ask them what job is it or what company is it, they refuse to comment.

They also obtained my contact through the directory and will immediately call the next person on the directory. So they are probably getting a commission if someone they push, gets the job.

9. Orsini

Orsini Senior member

Yes. And also a snail mail.

10. thinman

thinman Senior member

Yes. And also a snail mail.

I'd save the snail mail for the "thank you" after the face-to-face interview. An email thanks after an in-person interview is OK, but a snail mail shows more thoughtfulness IMO.

11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I'd save the snail mail for the "thank you" after the face-to-face interview. An email thanks after an in-person interview is OK, but a snail mail shows more thoughtfulness IMO.

+1

12. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

Send a letter instead with 2 day shipping.

13. imschatz

imschatz Senior member

Send a letter instead with 2 day shipping.
    With a phone interview, it's quite awkward to obtain the details necessary to do snail mail. Not as easy as requesting a business card.