• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interview Suit / Allen Edmonds / Where to buy?

MysticAura

Reaction score
Hey guys,

For a few upcoming interviews, I'm planning to wear a solid navy, slim-fit, H&M suit. I am also planning to wear these shoes:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...9&&imageType=2

What do you guys think of the outfit? Are the AE Byron shoes too fancy? Should I go for a more conservative shoe say the Park Avenue. Furthermore, with the navy suit, I understand that any color from a black to dark brown to a caramel would work. What would you suggest for the interview?

My final questions are what kind of shirt/tie combination should I use with the suit. I've seen everything from a light blue shirt with a dark blue tie with some sort of pattern to a crisp white shirt with a rep tie. In your opinion, are rep ties boring?

Lastly, are there any Allen Edmonds sales going on in NYC right now? Nordstrom? Bloomingdales? Saks? Barneys? I haven't checked yet.

Thanks a ton guys!

lockey2k

Reaction score
E's are on sale at DSW, though most may be already gone. Price point was $60.

For suits, go to Saks for their second cut sale. Alternatively, there's Barney's.

You can snag a Canali suit for about $500-$600.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lockey2k
AE's are on sale at DSW, though most may be already gone. Price point was $60.

We've got DSW's in Houston, but I've never seen Park Ave's or Byron's at $60! Were those less desirable AE;s for $60, or desirable stuff like Park Ave's?

To the poster. Unless you are interviewing for a staff position at Style Forum, I don't think many would note the difference between AE Park Ave's or Byron's. They both look great and proper,

Good Luck on your interview. Remember that your attire and manner will get you in the race and give you an oppoprtunity for the job. But it's your C.V., and what you say that will be the most important.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
We've got DSW's in Houston, but I've never seen Park Ave's or Byron's at $60! Were those less desirable AE;s for $60, or desirable stuff like Park Ave's?

Fairfaxes, Coltons and Hillcrests. The Colton is very desirable. The ~$60 was not at every store - my local DSW appears to have held firm at $120 (I checked twice).

MysticAura

Reaction score
Hmmm no luck at the NYC DSW. Anyone know of any AE sales going on at the larger department stores?

Do the colors of the suit and the shoe I suggested above work?

And also, does anyone have any recommendations for shirts + tie combos? It would be very helpful to see a swatch and a tie pairing.

Also, I will be interviewing for large financial services groups including investment banks and consulting groups.

Thanks again!

Dan-

Reaction score
The Allen Edmonds stores are selling their discontinued styles at a slight discount right now. At $240 or so they're still a good deal. I'd go with black.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Byrons will go great with a navy suit. As for color, I'd suggest you go with black. Black shoes are the safest choice for interviews, and it's always good to have a pair of black dress shoes in your closet, for funerals, important events, etc. (Most guys here like to pair brown shoes with navy, but you can do that after you've gotten the job.)

For shirt, stick to white, or maybe blue. Solids only, with button cuffs. Tie should be something conservative -- a traditional stripe, perhaps. You want to look well put together, but not too dandyish. The goal is to look reliable and trustworthy, without drawing too much attention to your clothes.

minhi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MysticAura
Hmmm no luck at the NYC DSW. Anyone know of any AE sales going on at the larger department stores?

Do the colors of the suit and the shoe I suggested above work?

And also, does anyone have any recommendations for shirts + tie combos? It would be very helpful to see a swatch and a tie pairing.

Also, I will be interviewing for large financial services groups including investment banks and consulting groups.

Thanks again!

The DSW sale ended a few days ago (not like there is much left!) Nordstrom has their Half Yearly Sale right now, I saw some Byrons in black at mine in plenty of sizes, i think they are $200.

I think it's a fine shoe, not fashion forward at all so good for interviews etc.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MysticAura

Yeah, as noted above, the Byron's are $199 at nordstrom. I think the maxfield is on sale as well. For reasons that escape me, the maxfield is apparently a best-seller.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Byrons should be on closeout status now, with first retailing for $229 and seconds for about $171 at A-E stores.

There is no practical difference on the dressiness/formality scale between the Byron and the Park Avenue, IMO. About the only advantage the PA has over the Byron is that you can put a high shine on it and use as a makeshift, second- or third-rate "tuxedo shoe."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads