• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interview Shoes- Bostanian? Slip ons?

pk7

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just purchased this shoe from macy's fro around $100.. The brand is Bostanian and I am not sure I can get a better quality shoe for the amount that I spent.

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/24069416/c/3.html

Is Bostanian a reputable brand?

Also, I am now contemplating whether I should get a slip on- type of shoe such as this (but not specifically this brand). It would be for an interview.. what do ya';ll think? Thank you.

http://shoes.about.com/gi/dynamic/of...2F7237516.html

jon

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Those Bostonians are not the best choice, but they will be fine. A slip-on is not appropriate for an interview. Officially, the most appropriate possible shoe for a conservative, suit-type interview is a black captoe balmoral (which means the lace area is sewn over at the bottom/toe end, as opposed to open like yours). Looking through Zappos I don't even see a Bostonian that matches that description exactly.

The Allen-Edmonds Park Ave. is a good example:

B00007DY9L.01-A3QF2P1DJO1GQD._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_V45753269_.jpg

As for the quality of Bostonians, they are not very good in the scheme of things. I wouldn't expect them to last very long, even with good care. On the other hand, something like the Park Ave which can be had for something like twice or 2.5x as much could last a decade.

pk7

Reaction score
Thanks J for the response. Being that I am on a lower budget, i may just go with the ones I got. In time, and more money, I will invest in the parks. THanks!

Jon

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
check grapevinehill.com or grapevinehill user name on eBay -- you may find some AE's in your price range.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J is of course correct. However, inasmuch as you are going to an interview, you really ought relax and not obsess about the footwear. While the bals are more correct and I strongly encourage better footwear, the likelihood that wearing the Bostonian bluchers over the Park Avenue bals will impact the outcome is really harly measurable. Simply put, so long as the shoes are not some Kenneth Cole monstrosity, are conservative in design and color, and are polished nicely, they will serve their purpose. Moreover, worn with a well-tailored, conservatively cut, dark colored suit and an appropriate shirt and tie, they will only be noticed, if at all, for the few moments you are standing. Good luck and bag the gig.

the plunger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pk7
Hey all, I just purchased this shoe from macy's fro around $100.. The brand is Bostanian and I am not sure I can get a better quality shoe for the amount that I spent. http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/24069416/c/3.html Is Bostanian a reputable brand?
Would a shoe like this be good for replacing black sneakers at work? I would like to spend less then $50. edwin

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads