• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interview shoe = AE Park Avenue? Any alternatives?

PolePosition

Reaction score
Been doing research and seems that the Allen Edmond Park Avenue is the safest bet for an interview shoe. Particularly for med school. I'll be shopping for it on eBay and am in no rush to get it (just like being prepared) but I was wondering if there are other alternatives to the Park Avenue's. I'd like to stick with Allen Edmonds since they are not super expensive on eBay and seem to be a solid shoe. But in case I come across a deal (only limiting the eBay searches to Allen Edmonds unless there are other similar quality/price manufacturers), what are other AE models that I should keep an eye out for?

Or should I just stick with the Park Avenues. Thanks.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E Park Avenue is a great choice. There might be better shoes but in terms of quality and price, AE is hard to beat. Not to mention they are actually comfortable if you wear them all day long. Congratulations on Med School.

amemovox

Reaction score
It must be remembered that some cannot wear this shoe comfortably as it is constructed on a rather narrow last. If you have a high instep, look for alternate shoe.

alflauren

Reaction score
The equivalent from Alden is a little more expensive, the straight tip bal, but it's worth a look to see if anyone is selling a pair.

Re: Allen Edmonds, I don't think they make the Byron anymore. But I have a pair and wouldn't think twice about wearing them on an interview.

butkusrules

Reaction score
Allen Edmonds has a Ebay store and I got a pair of PA for $189.99. i tried a pair on at a store to get the right measurement. I'm really happy with them, they don't slid all over the place and have a classic look that can't be beat.

PolePosition

Reaction score
Originally Posted by butkusrules
Allen Edmonds has a Ebay store and I got a pair of PA for $189.99. i tried a pair on at a store to get the right measurement. I'm really happy with them, they don't slid all over the place and have a classic look that can't be beat.

I finally found a store in my city that carries them so I'll be trying them on in person too. What is the name of the ebay store? I've only been looking at the people selling used ones.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Try the AE Soho. It's got a more 'modern' look. I picked up a pair pretty cheap on ebay.

PolePosition

Reaction score
Yea I saw the Soho's on the website and liked them too.

Thanks for the links!

Johnnyscans

Reaction score
I have a pair of Park Avenues that I use for interviews and other business-professional functions and I love them. Yea I'm sure there's higher quality and whatever-whatever shoes out there, but for the price they can be had at, there's no comparison.

Get them sized if you can and order online. There's an AE outlet store near me so I was able to get properly sized and my PAs are as comfortable as any other shoe I've worn.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alternatives: having an impressive CV and a 4.0 GPA, interviewing well.

But go with your strengths -- nice shoes.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Alternatives: having an impressive CV and a 4.0 GPA, interviewing well.

But go with your strengths -- nice shoes.

Harsh, brah.

greyinla

Reaction score
Yes, try on before ebaying--that PA last (5) is narrow. Soho is pretty modern looking, and they also have some other simple captoes on other lasts. You can also sometimes get a discontinued model (Niles and Byron come to mind) cheap from an AE outlet store or a reliable reseller like GVH.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads