• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Interview shoe = AE Park Avenue? Any alternatives?

PolePosition

Reaction score
Been doing research and seems that the Allen Edmond Park Avenue is the safest bet for an interview shoe. Particularly for med school. I'll be shopping for it on eBay and am in no rush to get it (just like being prepared) but I was wondering if there are other alternatives to the Park Avenue's. I'd like to stick with Allen Edmonds since they are not super expensive on eBay and seem to be a solid shoe. But in case I come across a deal (only limiting the eBay searches to Allen Edmonds unless there are other similar quality/price manufacturers), what are other AE models that I should keep an eye out for?

Or should I just stick with the Park Avenues. Thanks.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E Park Avenue is a great choice. There might be better shoes but in terms of quality and price, AE is hard to beat. Not to mention they are actually comfortable if you wear them all day long. Congratulations on Med School.

amemovox

Reaction score
It must be remembered that some cannot wear this shoe comfortably as it is constructed on a rather narrow last. If you have a high instep, look for alternate shoe.

alflauren

Reaction score
The equivalent from Alden is a little more expensive, the straight tip bal, but it's worth a look to see if anyone is selling a pair.

Re: Allen Edmonds, I don't think they make the Byron anymore. But I have a pair and wouldn't think twice about wearing them on an interview.

butkusrules

Reaction score
Allen Edmonds has a Ebay store and I got a pair of PA for $189.99. i tried a pair on at a store to get the right measurement. I'm really happy with them, they don't slid all over the place and have a classic look that can't be beat.

PolePosition

Reaction score
Originally Posted by butkusrules
Allen Edmonds has a Ebay store and I got a pair of PA for $189.99. i tried a pair on at a store to get the right measurement. I'm really happy with them, they don't slid all over the place and have a classic look that can't be beat.

I finally found a store in my city that carries them so I'll be trying them on in person too. What is the name of the ebay store? I've only been looking at the people selling used ones.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Try the AE Soho. It's got a more 'modern' look. I picked up a pair pretty cheap on ebay.

PolePosition

Reaction score
Yea I saw the Soho's on the website and liked them too.

Thanks for the links!

Johnnyscans

Reaction score
I have a pair of Park Avenues that I use for interviews and other business-professional functions and I love them. Yea I'm sure there's higher quality and whatever-whatever shoes out there, but for the price they can be had at, there's no comparison.

Get them sized if you can and order online. There's an AE outlet store near me so I was able to get properly sized and my PAs are as comfortable as any other shoe I've worn.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alternatives: having an impressive CV and a 4.0 GPA, interviewing well.

But go with your strengths -- nice shoes.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Alternatives: having an impressive CV and a 4.0 GPA, interviewing well.

But go with your strengths -- nice shoes.

Harsh, brah.

greyinla

Reaction score
Yes, try on before ebaying--that PA last (5) is narrow. Soho is pretty modern looking, and they also have some other simple captoes on other lasts. You can also sometimes get a discontinued model (Niles and Byron come to mind) cheap from an AE outlet store or a reliable reseller like GVH.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 26 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 132 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 249 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 119 15.6%
  • 31 - 40