• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interview Question

hasan_researc

Reaction score
Hey,

I am an undergraduate student and I have an interview in a few days. The interview is part of a programme managed by the university. Throughout the year, I participated in a range of extracurricular activities and before I am awarded a certificate to recognise my work, I will have to be interviewed. The interview will be held in the careers advisory section of the university and will be attended by a careers adviser, an external employer representative and a team member of the programme.

Regarding the dress code, I have been told that they understand that becuase students will be busy with lectures and other things, they don;t have to wear a suit to the interview.

Under the above circumstances, I am wondering what's the best possible colthing for bthe occasion?

Thoughts?

6stringsakc

Reaction score
If you have a suit, wear it. If it's solid navy or grey, even better. They didn't tell you not to wear a suit, only that they would understand if a student didn't wear one for some reason. Look your best.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hasan_researc
What suit would you recommend?

He already said, one that's navy or grey. It should probably also be two-button and with a notch lapel.

If you want people to suggest anything more specific than that then you'll need to at least give some sort of idea of your location, price-range, etc.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok. I live in London and my budget is 150 pounds.

With that kind of budget Marks & Spencer would probably be your best option.

hasan_researc

Reaction score
I understand Marks and Spencer makes the cheapest suits. Would you wear one for a graduate interview or for a celebration event?

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SEARCH...this is discussed literally 3 times a day

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand Marks and Spencer makes the cheapest suits. Would you wear one for a graduate interview or for a celebration event?

Yes, if I had only 150 pounds.

Look, the interviewer gave you an option to not wear a suit. You don't have a suit, so take the option. Dress as well as you can.

LanceW

Reaction score
Here in the US, if my budget was 150 pounds and I was not required to wear a suit, I would spend that money on a blazer. (Assuming I didn't have an interview coming up which did require a suit.)

saiyar1

Reaction score
Why are you waiting until a few days before the interview to figure out what to wear?

Don't be lazy and dress as you would for an interview. You want the job right? Then put in all the effort you can. Go to M&S asap and buy a single breasted 2 button notch lapel dark navy blue suit, white dress shirt, and a darkish, simple designed tie.

See if you can get it tailored in 1 day. Otherwise try to get it with the right pants length. End of story. Don't waste any more time.

TourbillonTurk.

Reaction score
Head to Shoreditch/Hoxton and check the vintage stores for a blazer, shoes and preferably a handkerchief. And wear a white shirt, you do have that at least don´t you?

- For 150 i´m sure something will come up, but stay off Marks and Spencer.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TourbillonTurk.
- For 150 i´m sure something will come up, but stay off Marks and Spencer.
What's wrong with M&S? You won't get much better for the price, even Thomas Mahon agrees. Not buying new anyway. If you're lucky you might find something great at a vintage/thrift store, but I don't think that's a good recommendation for a relative newbie like the OP who may not be able to tell whether he's buying something that looks horrendously dated.

TourbillonTurk.

Reaction score
Oh well if your going to look at it from that perspective then yes he might not know what he is buying from vintage. But i´ve seen those suits in M&S and they only cater for those who "need" a suit regardless of style, the fittings seem poor aswell :/ ... "Hugo Boss or Armani it’s a better fit than than the Marks & Spencer" I hate all three brands and wound´t buy neither
biggrin.gif

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TourbillonTurk.
"Hugo Boss or Armani it's a better fit than than the Marks & Spencer" I hate all three brands and wound´t buy neither
biggrin.gif

Neither would I, but the OP is hardly gonna pick up RLPL or something for £150...

A friend of mine bought a couple of M&S suits for work; the fit was at least as good as most suits costing twice as much. They are not cut like huge oversized sacks like many cheap brands.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads