• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

INTERVIEW on Wed. - I haven't worn a suit in 10 years - HELP!

Mr T

Reaction score
I recommend the white shirt, red Trump tie, black belt and black shoes with whichever suit you feel most comfortable in. And good luck! Come back and let us know how it went.

Ajaxv2

Reaction score
I love when people come together like this. And I'm glad I learned what CV meant!

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Dark brown hair with some gray salted in there, and a gray 'skunk patch' in front.
Have you thought about doing something about the gray hair? In this job market taking a few years off of your perceived age might be an advantage.

box_M11.jpg

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
.....you think the guy should dye his hair for an interview?

I feel that being seasoned is a huge plus for a sales job.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
.....you think the guy should dye his hair for an interview?

I feel that being seasoned is a huge plus for a sales job.

My opinion is that the resume and previous work experience shows your seasoning.

Gray hair just makes you look old.

Sales jobs require energy. Looking younger conveys that you still have it.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aforlano
OIC.

Thanks. Figured I was missing something there.

CV is a term and format used in Europe. Never seen one really used in the US.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmulford

I thought CV was a more appropriate term to describe a list of publications- the type of resume you'd use in academia.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmulford

It's a pretty commonly used term in academia here in the States.

mrmax

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
My opinion is that the resume and previous work experience shows your seasoning.

Gray hair just makes you look old.

Sales jobs require energy. Looking younger conveys that you still have it.

+1 on this.

I regularly hire older, more seasoned workers but in all cases they are represented well.

I would also sort out the pasty skin. This is especially important given the high contrast shirt/suit combinations you are considering. Get outdoors or do a bit of exercise (or both) and work up a sweat today (tuesday). It will show tomorrow.

Oh, and good luck on the interview! Hope you get it.

pblasco

Reaction score
This may sound really, really stupid, but I find it helps immensely for higher pressure situations like job interviews and such. Before you go, look yourself in the mirror, and tell yourself that you look good in your new suit. Tell yourself till you really believe it deep down. That extra bit of confidence of walking into a room thinking you look like a million bucks can make a HUGE difference!

My dad always told me that every job he went to, he went in thinking he was the best dressed, best qualified candidate they had, and it seemed to serve him very well.

aforlano

Reaction score
Hey gang, OP here!

1st interview went well. Looks like I'm on to the next level in about 2 weeks.

For this interview, I wore the black suit (Pronto Uomo), white shirt (R&Y Gold Label), and the Trump tie.

Now for the next interview, I'm going to wear the grey suit, but I need a shirt and tie combo idea. I'm partial to light rose/pink, light lavender, or pale/baby blue. I don't want to do white again, and I want to stay away from the grays right now.

Remember, I'm on a budget. $50 or so for the shirt, and less for the tie.

Once I land the job, I can afford to buy more.

I live in Orlando, so I have lots of 'outlet' stores nearby (including a Brooks Bros, a personal favorite).

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Fred

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads