• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interview in the Blazing Heat of Summer

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, I have an interview in a couple weeks. Unfortunately that means putting on a suit. In the summer. In DC. It will likely be 90 or so degrees and humid.

I really want to wear a cool cotton or linen suit (or seersucker which I know won't go over well) but I'm not sure.

Can I get away with a light brown or maybe navy cotton suit in a fed. interview? In the end I don't have to get this job, so if I put someone off by wearing something that isn't considered formal enough it won't be the end of the world. But the job does sound cool so I don't won't to intentionally blow it.

bob

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know what you have in your wardrobe, but a tropical weight wool suit in navy sounds like it would do the trick.

When I went on interviews for my summer associate position, all of the interviews were conducted in early august and the callbacks were mostly in late august so it was pretty damn hot out in NYC, but I just toughed it out and wore a regular navy suit.

I would think that seersucker is way too casual and things like linen and cotton are way too prone to wrinkling and might not look good for an interview because they are too casual looking and don't give you that sharp clean-pressed look that a wool suit would give you. The bottom line is that it's just a few hours, so even if it's hot you can get by. Also, is the interview outdoors? If not, I don't really see why the heat matters so much if it's in an air-conditioned office.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear whatever you think is best and then take an air conditioned cab to the interview, even if you must splurge.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Almost any Style Forum member going to an interview for a job in the federal bureaucracy is going to be better dressed than his interviewer no matter what he wears. And the liklihood that the interviewer will notice or care is very slim, unless you wear a morning coat.

I usually advocate playing it extremely safe in job interviews, but safe means the lowest common denominator, and in D.C. that is low indeed. If you don't need the job, just wear what you want. Seersucker is probably an aggressive "I don't need you" signal, but anything else would be fine.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Almost any Style Forum member going to an interview for a job in the federal bureaucracy is going to be better dressed than his interviewer no matter what he wears. And the liklihood that the interviewer will notice or care is very slim, unless you wear a morning coat.

Are you trying to revive morning dress as business wear
smile.gif
?

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I'll suck it up and wear something tropical weight. I don't need the job, but I wouldn't mind having it. Now I'll worry about my "short" 20-30 minute presentation. Yech.

thanks guys,
bob

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, this has "hire" written all over it, going by Murphy's law here. Since this is a no pressure situation for you, you'll probably beat out the applicant that is loosing sleep on it the night prior. With this in mind, dress in your basic blue, but throw something in to prepare them for the seersucker you'll be wearing on your first day!
smile.gif

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Be tough. No one will notice how much you sweat if you keep your jacket on. What I did in the same situation: I kept my jacket off until I arrived in the building, and then I put it on. The building will have AC anyway, won't it?

!luc

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will tough it out. But I predict sweat will run down my face. I am one of nature's sweaters. I can't help it. I'm sure the building will have AC, so that will make my life easier, and the Metro is air conditioned too, so that's good.

Now I need something in navy. I've been wanting to buy a navy suit anyway.

bob

Duveen

Reaction score
Bob,

Good advice from Luc - carry the coat and tough it out. I am traveling on business in the South a lot these days and have found that, while unpleasant, it is not impossible to get by with a proper suit in a lighter-weight wool.

Plan to stop in the restroom just as you get in the building (ask the front desk attendant/guard, not the receptionist in the office that you are visiting).

Go in, wash your face, dry off and fix your hair. Straighten your tie. That little psychological ritual does me a world of good before going in to presentations, and will actually serve a useful purpose if you are worried about sweating.

new obsession

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
But I predict sweat will run down my face. I am one of nature's sweaters. I can't help it.

I am part of the same club, which is why my back left pocket is ALWAYS occupied by a handkerchief. Which then creates the question - What about this one in your front pocket? you carry two handkerchiefs?
crazy.gif

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Duveen, that's good advice thanks. I haven't been on an interview in more than 4 years and those were in the middle of winter so this feels very new to me. I'm nervous of course.

NewO, I carry two of them as well. One in the breast pocket that just stays there, then a cotton one in my hip pocket for the usual use of mopping my brow.

I just wish one could safely say "I get really hot easily, therefore I wear a lightweight suit--but I still wear a suit," without your interviewer thinking you haven't put the effort into it. Like this. Actually I might buy this one anyway. Looks like a good deal and it comes in a 46S.

bob

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Once again, a silk-weight undershirt will help. Cut the hair shorter, too, if you can do so without looking military or worse than you do now.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A silk-weight undershirt will surely NOT help. I don't buy the baselayer/wicking argument for one second; it's only marketing. Insulation is insulation, and will only make you feel hotter. I wore undershirts for years before seeing the light. Same goes for working out/endurance sports.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I figure an extra layer is an extra layer and it will keep me warmer. That said, the benefit of keeping the sweat from my dress shirt outweighs the slight cost of making me a tiny bit warmer. I will sweat either way, so it is more important to hide that. Silk vs cotton? I have no clue.

bob

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads