• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interview dilemma

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I'm interviewing for a position tomorrow (I'd prefer to not say exactly what, but it's in politics). My friend works in the same environment and told me that it is business casual; indeed, he seems to wear chinos or trousers and a shirt to work.

Complicating things further, I am told I basically have the job, and that turning in my resume/speaking to someone is a formality. So it may not actually be a full-on interview.

What do I do? Should I wear a blazer, OCBD and tie just to be "safe?"

Reaction score
Nothing's ever certain-I've always dressed my best for interviews, even once for a server position with a restaurant. As they say, you can never be under-dressed for an interview. If it's in politics, they will surely respect the fact that you put for a little more effort than what the standard might be.

Anyway, just be "safe." Good luck with the position.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, it's a good thing you don't have 16,000 posts and a reputation on this forum. I'm sure nothing from here will ever come back to haunt you. But play it safe anyway and dress up.
PH2008120403612.jpg

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude.

Wear. A. Suit.

You never know who you may be required to see, and some of those people may not know you 'have it in the bag' if that is even accurate.

When I went for my interview, I sat with the HR guy who then took me to Engineering. For whatever reason, most of the engineering managers were out, so the Chief Technical Officer interviewed me. You just never know.

~ H

(and yes I got the job -- Navy PS Kilgour French Stanbury suit, Canali white shirt, burgundy/navy paisley tie, cordovan shoes. No square).

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best foot forward- I'd probably wear a suit- something simple.

Unless you know your boss thinks dressy is a clean t-shirt.

Smahatma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Complicating things further, I am told I basically have the job, and that turning in my resume/speaking to someone is a formality. So it may not actually be a full-on interview.

What do I do? Should I wear a blazer, OCBD and tie just to be "safe?"

Sounds like a good opportunity to wear that one "**** you" suit that would normally be extremely disrespectful and inappropriate in any day time situation.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Call ahead and ask...

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Dude.

Wear. A. Suit.

You never know who you may be required to see, and some of those people may not know you 'have it in the bag' if that is even accurate.

+1. Don't take anything for granted, even with the connections.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have 16k posts and you're asking about interview attire....seriously? I mean, it's not like this is a DUI hearing or anything.

esinclai

Reaction score
In my experience interviewing candidates for jobs, the fact that you make an effort means something. I'm in IT, so business casual is toward the upper end of our general dress code, but it's also a large financial services company, so some areas are much more formal.

Respecting those whose at least temporary approval you seek on your first impression is significant. And making the effort to look your best shows self-respect as well.

This is not the forum for it, but even people who pull out a bad suit - one that fit a couple years ago but several positions in IT later it doesn't (c.f. corporate veal fattening pens (aka cubicle lunches)) - get a nod from me, even if I don't yet dress as well as I'd like.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
...Navy PS Kilgour French Stanbury suit, Canali white shirt, burgundy/navy paisley tie, cordovan shoes. No square).
Perfect. Conne - wear an interview suit like "strictly from commercial" -- don't take a chance.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I''m guessing your job is on the hill.

With the Chief of Staff I worked under wearing a suit or not could have broken the interview. Although my office was notorious for being 'overdressed' to Hill standards, as most were private sector transplants.

Wear a suit. Simple.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, this is a part-time gig in Ohio. This particular position is almost always filled by college students.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics