• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interview Attire

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
globetrotter,

I could definitely see that, I meant the company caring as much about the fit for someone whose responsibilities would be primarily international.

Interestingly enough, I grew up in a reasonably small city in the Midwest with perhaps a slightly higher degree of ethnic diversity but it was still primarily white protestants of german and scandanavian descent. I guess it gives me a substantially different perspective than other Asians in SoCal.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I could definitely see that, I meant the company caring as much about the fit for someone whose responsibilities would be primarily international.
actually, I thought that that was hard to understand - the position was meant to bring a global perspective to the team and help them understand the international market. I would have thought if there was one position in the company that might be expected to be a little "oddball" it would be that.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, that was my general question as well, corn-fed midwestern boys aren't usually the most effective international businessmen
smile.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this is my favorite story (sorry off topic) - I ran into a guy at a trade show last year who told me he had "taken care of his international markets" so that he didn't have to deal with them himself any more. he had given an exclusive 1 year distribution contract for ROW to a distributor from Kazakastan, who he had met for one evening and had dinner with. and he was very proud of himself.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
nice... they have distributors in Kazakhstan though? What do they distribute, black market Russian contraband?
smile.gif
You'd think for your first deal, you'd stay a bit closer to home than Kazakhstan.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Globetrotter - I understand what you are saying, I just dont agree with it.  If there is honestly anyone who has either a conscious or subconsious reaction to someone wearing a white shirt at an interview I would be willing to bet its miniscule.  Its such an antiquated notion that I am surprised anyone even mentions it.  To me, this kind of discussion falls into the same catagory as people who disdain:

1. people who wear brown shoes after six
2. people who wear brown shoes in "the city"
3. people who think suspenders cant be seen by the fairer sex
4. people who think its a mortal sin to wear a tuxedo instead of a morning coat in the daytime.

These were relevant in 1930-1950.  After that anyone who holds on to them is just being pretentious and downright silly.  Same goes for having a reaction to someone wearing something other than a white shirt at an interview.  And in the big scheme of things, as I have repeatedly said, you can teach someone to dress the part in about 2 seconds, its not brain surgery.  Perhaps since I was born in queens, and worked in NYC my whole adult life I have just become adjusted to the "melting pot mentality, but I just have a really difficult time relating to anyone that would hold anything, subconsiously, or consciously, against someone because of the way they were dressed.
Phil -

I agree with your point, however I did some research and found that it was only in 1995 that IBM dropped its white shirt, black tie rule.

"February 3, 1995
IBM Corp. loosens its tie in 1995. Newly installed Chairman Lou Gerstner, the former chief at R.J.R. Nabisco, undoes decades of IBM policy by announcing that workers no longer have to wear the long-standing company uniform (white shirt, black tie) to work."

So as much as we may wish these dress codes disappeared in the 50's, it may be that they are much more ingrained in our culture than we realize.

That being said, a white shirt for an interview is probably still the safest choice - that is assuming you have the funding or ability to make that choice.

Bradford

General Koskov

Reaction score
When being interviewed for the Canadian Forces, I wore some grey-brown nasty polyester/rayon shirt with a black suit & tie. All from Jack Fraiser, all ill-fitting (in both size and colour).

I didn't get the career.

Next year I applied again, I wore a light blue New&Lingwood shirt with a black tie and my father's old navy blue pinstripe suit.

I got the career (though my forum name belies my actual rank--or name, for that matter).

But the interesting thing about CF interviews, what differs them from the job interviews people usually talk about (aside from the bit about asking whether you are prepared to kill or maim people), is that the interviewer is wearing Canadian Disruptive Pattern combats (tunic, tshirt, & trousers) whereas they ask you to wear a coat & tie.

Mind you, I regularly wear a coat & tie so I wasn't offended by this but honestly, they do have service dress which is intended to mirror the civilian suit, yet they don't wear it. (Though, having now worn various categories of uniform, I assume it's a confort issue--and Her Majesty won't pay for bespoke for all of us.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads